Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Mintos (P2P Lending Platform)

  • 28-04-2016 8:48pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ at9qu5vp0wcix7


    Due to popular demand, a Mintos discussion thread.


«13456713

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ dingdong1234567


    Regarding the auto invest function on Mintos. How long after one sets up their investment profile does it take to start 'auto investing'.?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ShoulderChip


    Regarding the auto invest function on Mintos. How long after one sets up their investment profile does it take to start 'auto investing'.?
    I did it before I got on the tube on the way to Heathrow, twenty minutes into the journey I had autoinvested 1k with a max of 30 euro per loan, minimum rate of 12% and the loan buy back guarantee only


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Leon Melted Tap-dancer


    The current trend is a decrease in business loan and mortgage interest rates, with everything else increasing. Personal Loans for 1-4 months @ 12.5-13.5% interest is great, especially with buy-back. I've been allocating about 60% of my portfolio to the short term loans , as I am very active in managing my account. If I instantly re-invest, my annual return should be around 13.5-15%.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭ scheister


    Regarding the auto invest function on Mintos. How long after one sets up their investment profile does it take to start 'auto investing'.?

    I set up the auto invest while waiting on funds to transfer into the account time I got email to say funds where in account. Auto invest had already used them


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭ TheSheriff


    The current trend is a decrease in business loan and mortgage interest rates, with everything else increasing. Personal Loans for 1-4 months @ 12.5-13.5% interest is great, especially with buy-back. I've been allocating about 60% of my portfolio to the short term loans , as I am very active in managing my account. If I instantly re-invest, my annual return should be around 13.5-15%.

    What kind of value do you leave for the LTV value for your autoinvest portfolio? Im not 100% sure on this aspect.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭ Wheety


    I've been going with 70% LTV. I've only started though. I had autoinvest set up but I've started looking after my own now.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Leon Melted Tap-dancer


    TheSheriff wrote: »
    What kind of value do you leave for the LTV value for your autoinvest portfolio? Im not 100% sure on this aspect.

    It depends on the risk you want to take. For me, merely having property/assets as a guarantee for the loan is a good. I would stay away from an LTV of ~70% or above. In my mind, if assets are liquidated, you will not achieve much more than this % of their market value.

    I'm very new to this, there will be far more experienced lenders on here who will have a much better answer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭ TheSheriff


    OK thank you, its a starting point. Also very new to it, at least tough it allows for relatively instant investment compared to linked!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ newacc2015


    The current trend is a decrease in business loan and mortgage interest rates, with everything else increasing. Personal Loans for 1-4 months @ 12.5-13.5% interest is great, especially with buy-back. I've been allocating about 60% of my portfolio to the short term loans , as I am very active in managing my account. If I instantly re-invest, my annual return should be around 13.5-15%.

    It varies from month to month. There is a fair amount of new mortgages listed this week in excess of 13.5%. Non-bank money lenders I believe are benefiting from the dysfunctional nature of banking in these countries. Mintos stats show there is an increase in mortgage interest rates this month

    One thing to consider with Mintos is that loans can be 'late'. They are not in default, the lender just hasnt passed on money to Mintos to pay for the end of the loan. I have one €10 personal loan sitting there as 'late' for the last 3 days. Mintos said it can take up to 4 days for a loan to be settled.


  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ dingdong1234567


    Tried setting up auto invest profile and set an LTV value @70% and nothing was happening IE no investments where being made. So I queried this with Mintos, they state that I cannot set an LTV value as the primary market does not have any loans with this therefore I had to remove the 70% LTV altogether and it worked.

    What's the point of setting an LTV value if it cannot be used? Am I missing something completely abvious here?!?!. I checked the list of loans with the above and there where loads..........

    Anyone else experience this?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭ Wheety


    Tried setting up auto invest profile and set an LTV value @70% and nothing was happening IE no investments where being made. So I queried this with Mintos, they state that I cannot set an LTV value as the primary market does not have any loans with this therefore I had to remove the 70% LTV altogether and it worked.

    What's the point of setting an LTV value if it cannot be used? Am I missing something completely abvious here?!?!. I checked the list of loans with the above and there where loads..........

    Anyone else experience this?

    I had auto invest set up with LTV of 70% and I had a couple of investments. It wasn't moving fast so I just did it myself in around 10 minutes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭ JTMan


    I am going with 80% LTV rather than 70% LTV. Generally, defaults in lending occur in the 80-100% LTV bracket.

    There are far more loans in the secondary market rather than the primary market. Does auto invest work with the secondary market?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Leon Melted Tap-dancer


    JTMan wrote: »
    I am going with 80% LTV rather than 70% LTV. Generally, defaults in lending occur in the 80-100% LTV bracket.

    There are far more loans in the secondary market rather than the primary market. Does auto invest work with the secondary market?

    I think this is because the largest investors use auto-invest (which favours larger accounts from what I've seen on other forums), and then immediately put their investments up on the secondary market, gives them a quick turn-around. Some people are getting annual growth rates of ~20% with this technique.

    Of course the other reason many loans are simply sitting on the secondary market for what seems like forever is the fact that many of those loans are late. I have noticed that any longer term loans which have a history of repayment tend to get snapped up very quickly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭ Wheety


    I think this is because the largest investors use auto-invest (which favours larger accounts from what I've seen on other forums), and then immediately put their investments up on the secondary market, gives them a quick turn-around. Some people are getting annual growth rates of ~20% with this technique.

    Of course the other reason many loans are simply sitting on the secondary market for what seems like forever is the fact that many of those loans are late. I have noticed that any longer term loans which have a history of repayment tend to get snapped up very quickly.

    How are people making money that way? Is it to do with selling loans with a premium?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Leon Melted Tap-dancer


    Wheety wrote: »
    How are people making money that way? Is it to do with selling loans with a premium?

    Yeah. Mintos do charge a fee when you sell on the secondary market (1% afaik), but everything else on top of that is yours. Potentially months or even years worth of interest in the matter of a few hours/days, which you can then reinvest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭ Wheety


    I've put a few loans on the secondary market at a fairly hefty premium. Not expecting them to sell but we'll see. The loans are all current so I don't mind just taking the interest from them as normal.


  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ Chiarrai92


    Hey im completely new to p2p lending im just wondering how does mintos work out taxwise? I know with linked finance you pay income tax on it, but is it diferent when the company is based overseas?

    Also has anyone had any issues withdrawing money from mintos?


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Tar.Aldarion


    Signed up to mintos, finding there is not much of interest any more on linkedfinance /sub

    topping up being slow is a bit annoying


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭ scheister


    Chiarrai92 wrote: »
    Hey im completely new to p2p lending im just wondering how does mintos work out taxwise? I know with linked finance you pay income tax on it, but is it diferent when the company is based overseas?

    Also has anyone had any issues withdrawing money from mintos?

    would be to do with your status not the company. If your Irish resident,ordinary resident (resident in Ireland last 3 years at least) and born Irish. You taxable on worldwide income.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Leon Melted Tap-dancer


    Every single late loan I have is from Latvia, be it Mortgage or Personal Loans. Anybody else noticing similar trends?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Katawalah


    Hi all,

    I'm new to this forum, but have been following some threads for a while now with some interest (especially the LF thread), and I'd like to share my experience as well.

    I started using Mintos 2 months ago to diversify my investments and because LF slowly disappoints me more and more. Mintos seems a great alternative, and I am really happy with it so far. The website is very clear and user-friendly, I also like to receive the daily summary every morning, and the rates are really attractive.

    So, I invested 1K 2 months ago. Auto Invest set up and works fine. At the beginning, the Auto Invest was investing in long term loans (68 months), then I modified it to invest in short to mid-term loans.

    My Auto Invest is set up for : 10€ in loans between 10% and 15% with a maximum period of 16 month and a buy-back guarantee.

    My loan portfolio has loans ranging from 10.5% to 13.5%. So far the Net Annual Return is 12.14%, and I've made 14.48€ in just over 2 months. So, not bad, but not outperforming either.

    After this long introduction, I am also curious about the late repayments topic and have some questions about it.
    Every single late loan I have is from Latvia, be it Mortgage or Personal Loans. Anybody else noticing similar trends?

    On my dashboard, I see 17 late loans :

    1-15 days late 11
    16-30 days late 3
    31-60 days late 3

    However, when I check the My investments tab and the next repayments dates, I find only 9 late loans : 8 are Personal loans from Georgia (Cream Finance) and 1 is an invoice financing from Latvia. So, not sure what the other 8 late loans are. Does anyone have an idea why the number of late loans is not the same on both pages?

    Do you know how the interests are calculated on rebuy for late repayments? Most of the time, the buy-back guarantee rebuys the principal invested and gives some interest. But, I've seen a couple of times the principal being bought back without interest at all. Do you know why in some cases there is no interest given?
    Wheety wrote: »
    I've put a few loans on the secondary market at a fairly hefty premium. Not expecting them to sell but we'll see. The loans are all current so I don't mind just taking the interest from them as normal.

    I get the idea of selling a loan with a premium, but I don't see the point of buying a loan at a higher price than the original loan. If the loan is at i.e. 12% and sold with a 2% premium, you would actually get only 10% interests on the remaining loan term. But, there are loads of loans with at least 10% on the primary market which can do the job.

    Could someone explain the benefits of the Secondary market please?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭ Wheety


    Katawalah wrote: »

    I get the idea of selling a loan with a premium, but I don't see the point of buying a loan at a higher price than the original loan. If the loan is at i.e. 12% and sold with a 2% premium, you would actually get only 10% interests on the remaining loan term. But, there are loads of loans with at least 10% on the primary market which can do the job.

    Could someone explain the benefits of the Secondary market please?

    Yeah, my loans didn't sell :D

    I don't know why anyone would buy them at a premium when there are so many in the Primary market.


  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ Roonbox


    I never heard of this site until now. Just had a quick look at their website.
    Am I right in saying there is no protection if somebody decides to default on a loan you have invested in?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭ Wheety


    You can invest in loans with a buy back guarantee where the loan originator will buy the loan back if it is 60+ days overdue.

    It seems that in some cases you get a late payment fee but not in others.


  • Registered Users Posts: 861 tomwaits48


    Wheety wrote: »
    You can invest in loans with a buy back guarantee where the loan originator will buy the loan back if it is 60+ days overdue.

    It seems that in some cases you get a late payment fee but not in others.

    so is it fair to say there is effectively zero risk? seems too good to be true!

    I've set up an account but still a little cautious. At least with Linked Finance I can call over to their office if ever I needed too...


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭ Wheety


    tomwaits48 wrote: »
    so is it fair to say there is effectively zero risk? seems too good to be true!

    I've set up an account but still a little cautious. At least with Linked Finance I can call over to their office if ever I needed too...

    I'm not going to tell you there's no risk. What happens if the loan originator or Mintos themselves go bust?

    But it is a way of mitigating some of the risk.

    I think you can get higher rates if you go for a loan without the guarantee.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Leon Melted Tap-dancer


    Katawalah wrote: »
    Hi all,

    I'm new to this forum, but have been following some threads for a while now with some interest (especially the LF thread), and I'd like to share my experience as well.

    I started using Mintos 2 months ago to diversify my investments and because LF slowly disappoints me more and more. Mintos seems a great alternative, and I am really happy with it so far. The website is very clear and user-friendly, I also like to receive the daily summary every morning, and the rates are really attractive.

    So, I invested 1K 2 months ago. Auto Invest set up and works fine. At the beginning, the Auto Invest was investing in long term loans (68 months), then I modified it to invest in short to mid-term loans.

    My Auto Invest is set up for : 10€ in loans between 10% and 15% with a maximum period of 16 month and a buy-back guarantee.

    My loan portfolio has loans ranging from 10.5% to 13.5%. So far the Net Annual Return is 12.14%, and I've made 14.48€ in just over 2 months. So, not bad, but not outperforming either.

    After this long introduction, I am also curious about the late repayments topic and have some questions about it.



    On my dashboard, I see 17 late loans :

    1-15 days late 11
    16-30 days late 3
    31-60 days late 3

    However, when I check the My investments tab and the next repayments dates, I find only 9 late loans : 8 are Personal loans from Georgia (Cream Finance) and 1 is an invoice financing from Latvia. So, not sure what the other 8 late loans are. Does anyone have an idea why the number of late loans is not the same on both pages?

    Do you know how the interests are calculated on rebuy for late repayments? Most of the time, the buy-back guarantee rebuys the principal invested and gives some interest. But, I've seen a couple of times the principal being bought back without interest at all. Do you know why in some cases there is no interest given?



    I get the idea of selling a loan with a premium, but I don't see the point of buying a loan at a higher price than the original loan. If the loan is at i.e. 12% and sold with a 2% premium, you would actually get only 10% interests on the remaining loan term. But, there are loads of loans with at least 10% on the primary market which can do the job.

    Could someone explain the benefits of the Secondary market please?

    Loans which have more than 1 scheduled payment date will not show up on the my investments 'next payment' descending column. Instead, they consider the next expected payment to be bundled in with the next scheduled payment.

    Example: A 1 month loan, the payment deadline is passed - this will show up with no scheduled payment date in the 'My Investments' tab.

    Example: A 4 month loan, the payment deadline for the first payment is passed. The 'My Investments' tab automatically predicts the next payment to be the second scheduled payment (i.e. one month after the first).


    I am not 100%, but I think late payment fees vary between originators. They are charged at the same rate as the loan afaik. So a 30 day loan that is 15 days late, ends up paying the equivalent of 15 days interest as a late payment fee.

    As for buying on the secondary market - historically better interest rates were available. Even with a premium, it allows you to buy into loans which offer better returns. It also allows you to buy into loan types and countries which are more reliable. For me, the biggest advantage of buying into a loan which has already commenced (on the primary or secondary market) is that you have a history of punctual payments made already, an indicator that the loan is healthy and will be repaid in full and on time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭ Wheety


    4 of my loans are now 1-15 days late. They are all Latvian. Anyone else had this? Did they pay eventually?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Leon Melted Tap-dancer


    Wheety wrote: »
    4 of my loans are now 1-15 days late. They are all Latvian. Anyone else had this? Did they pay eventually?

    Yup, I mentioned it earlier on the page. Every one of my late loans is Latvian. They usually pay, often with late payment fees. 60 days or more and the buyback guarantee will kick in (for loans which have this).


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ newacc2015


    Wheety wrote: »
    I'm not going to tell you there's no risk. What happens if the loan originator or Mintos themselves go bust?

    But it is a way of mitigating some of the risk.

    I think you can get higher rates if you go for a loan without the guarantee.

    A lot of the lenders are back by massive investment funds eg cream finance. Mintos has received a decent injection from a fund as an investment. I think the contracts are between you and the lender. Minots is just the intermediater. Plus they state the funds are kept in a separate account


Advertisement