Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Psychology of Online Comments

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why not? We certainly don't interact as socially as we used to.
    There's an element to that, but IMH it's largely overblown. Most people are not socially isolated and most people interact with many different people throughout their day at work and at play. The interwebs social media stuff is just another layer on top of that.

Now it does of course have an effect and draws out different traits that might be less obvious in a face to face encounter. For a start some feel safer to be more intimate online. They don't see the numbers of people viewing so feel and act like it's a more one to one thing. That can come out in anger, bitterness as well as the better stuff.

The web and social media especially is also a playground for attention seekers of all types. From the trout pout selfies, the social value projectors, to the support groups that egg each other on even to the point of oneupmanship(misery loves company and competition), to the extremists of all leanings. It's also a playground for gossip and group manipulation and bullying(and not just the obvious kind).

The anonymity also gives some the free range to let their "true selves" come out and that can come out as aggressive/petty/jealous/hypcritical/fantasist/whinging/tiresome/manipulative[delete as applicable]. More than the average person could stand to be around for long, so they'd be called out on it in Real Life(™).

Funny enough I tend to dial back my persona online. In some respects anyway. I'd be much more likely to directly call someone out for shenanigans offline. Then again in the offline world I make pains to avoid the types of people that vex me, so they don't hang around for long. Online I'm well aware that I may be dealing with someone I'd normally just ignore, so adjust accordingly. I don't always succeed mind you…

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It is a little funny to me thinking how people i know might have an online persona and what it might be like.

A quiet person in real life can have a big / more stable persona while an outgoing person might have no persona to speak of.

Also, internet makes people who wouldnt interact real life come into contact. It promotes a different degree of multiplicity , over greater distances and mentalities etc. #talkingbollox

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    IA quiet person in real life can have a big / more stable persona while an outgoing person might have no persona to speak of.
    Yep, have encountered that alright. Especially the quite type that face to face could struggle to keep up, but online with time on their hands and being less stressed were a very different person. Well not different, the same but better public versions of themselves. The web has been a real boon for folks like that.
    Also, internet makes people who wouldnt interact real life come into contact. It promotes a different degree of multiplicity , over greater distances and mentalities etc.
    Which is one big reason I like it. Sure you can't tell some nuance and body language and tone, but equally you can't easily tell the social, educational, political, sexual etc background of the person, not unless they tell you. Their arguments and opinions either fail or they don't. It's a great leveller that way. In the real world many would be cautious about questioning an "expert" even if they're demonstrably talking out their arse. Hell I've seen people defer to someone who was an expert in one field while they were spouting utter nonsense in a totally unconnected field. Like the aforementioned quiet types it opens things up.

So long as you avoid the trolls the bullies, the histrionics, the extremists, in other words the attention seekers(which the interwebs has weaponised) it's one of the best things to happen to humanity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

spotted this floating around in relation to whats been discussed here re. online comments.

abusive tweets read out to female sports reporters by males

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU-D-m2JY8

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

IRL, a real soap box is awkward to carry. Plus, you can look stupid standing on it every Sunday outside mass. Plus, if you don't get physically assaulted there and then, 'they' know where you live.

Look at me! Don't look at me!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Some people have deficit needs.

Some just like to troll. If they are good at this, they can be very hard to spot.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I think one day we'll be reminiscing on this decade and say "remember when you thought you could be anonymous online, those were the days".

FYP :eek: :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement