Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterhouse North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

psheaser wrote: »
    As long as it's not reopening as a hub for hipsters to embrace the smell of their own farts I'm happy.

Can we move on from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

There will be a bit of extra competition in the area now that the sunnybank has the gannet restaurant too. Haven't heard what it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

surball wrote: »
    There will be a bit of extra competition in the area now that the sunnybank has the gannet restaurant too. Haven't heard what it is like.
    Oh, great! Saw they were doing work but didn't know it was a restaurant. New to the area so would love to hear how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anytime I drank in that area, the Brian Boru was my favourite pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anytime I drank in that area, the Brian Boru was my favourite pub

You spelled Gravediggers wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Hanley wrote: »

Guinness in the Diggers has gone terrible in the last year or so, sadly its not what it once was, The Boru for a few :D

Hanley wrote: »

It should be good, but just looks like a tourist trap to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Cienciano wrote: »
    It should be good, but just looks like a tourist trap to me.

Is it probably one of the most authentic bars in the north of the city. A lot of the locals drink. If you go in there during the winter, there might be a table or two of Germans. But the 50 other people in the bars will be Dubliners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Is it probably one of the most authentic bars in the north of the city. A lot of the locals drink. If you go in there during the winter, there might be a table or two of Germans. But the 50 other people in the bars will be Dubliners

Do they still have that tapas bar there? That took some of the authenticity away for me. It's been over a year since I was last there so maybe it's changed now?

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone in the Brian Boru is a Dubliner too ;)
    Do they still have that tapas bar there? That took some of the authenticity away for me. It's been over a year since I was last there so maybe it's changed now?

One half is like a restaurant. The other half looks good, but there's loads of shíte from carrolls of Dublin stuck on the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

They're not turning it into another Witherspoons are they?

Ernest wrote: »

I wish they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ernest wrote: »

unfortunately not

all evidence points to a "fraft" or "fake craft" where the likes of HH13 or Cute Hewer will be pushed to the fore, with token bottles or out of date IPA and english beers in the fridges. A bit like the sister pubs in Coolock and Raheny.

I'll continue to avoid it as I do presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Guinness in the Diggers has gone terrible in the last year or so, sadly its not what it once was, The Boru for a few :D

Guinness from the bar in hedigans is always decent, order a pint of anything from the lounge/food section and you'll make yourself sick.I was in there yesterday for a bite to eat ordered a bottle of Heineken, the tasty looking Polish blonde that served me returned with a warm bottle and a glass of ice. FUPPIN ICE! I caught the eye of the barman(bald chap 30s, decent fella,possibly the manager), and asked if he had one in the fridge, which he did and he brought it over to my table personally.It was chilled to perfection. It didnt taste quite right, i checked the bb date on it which said 06/16! The grub was fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

never had a bad pint in the diggers it must be said. Also never see it over run with tourists you get the odd couple alright but it is pretty much a well run, decent and authentic local. The only other bars in that whole area that I would frequent on the odd occasions would be the Tolka House where the food is good as is the pint but can lack a little in atmosphere... or up to The Autobahn which is a nice spot although the bar staff can be hit and miss depending who is on and what their prevailing mood is...

Scaffold is down on the porterhouse. Plaster had been repaired and looks good. Not sure if they are doing anything internally.

Strumms wrote: »
    never had a bad pint in the diggers it must be said. Also never see it over run with tourists you get the odd couple alright but it is pretty much a well run, decent and authentic local.

Agreed.

Scaffold is down on the porterhouse. Plaster had been repaired and looks good. Not sure if they are doing anything internally.

The poster did indicate that it was opening in May so we should hear something relatively soon about it. Looking forward to seeing what it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

They're opening it temporarily as a pop up bar for the Bruce Springsteen gigs, music will be all Springsteen songs

http://www.dailyedge.ie/e-street-inn-glasnevin-bruce-springsteen-2790693-May2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

They're opening it temporarily as a pop up bar for the Bruce Springsteen gigs, music will be all Springsteen songs

http://www.dailyedge.ie/e-street-inn-glasnevin-bruce-springsteen-2790693-May2016/

yeah, saw that too, what’s happening there? the may opening date seems off anyway...

• Advertisement

Anyone been in since reopening?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Girlfriend was in there last Wednesday, she said the interior is still the same (the cow skin seats are still there) also the same taps serving porterhouse beers etc...
    She didn't stay for food but did look at the menu, it's seemed to have gone a bit hipster, she said everything on the menu was smashed, like sandwich with smashed avacado that sorta thing. Also said it was expensive enough, so she went over to the Boru for food.
    Dunno why they just didn't leave the porterhouse as is or even just give it a face lift. Don't think I'll be going into it in future, especially if all they've done is tarted up the outside changed the menu and hiked up the prices.

I was in The Porterhouse in bray on Sunday afternoon and had a natter with the barman and he informed me that the Withworth is still part of the Porterhouse group, but focused on restaurant style food,rather than the usual pub grub fare. A bit silly really, as i personally liked the food and the layout,the burgers were the bees knees.Having said that, i havnt been in since the refit,i plan to soon though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the Withworth is still part of the Porterhouse group, but focused on restaurant style food,rather than the usual pub grub fare. A bit silly really, as i personally liked the food and the layout,the burgers were the bees knees.
    But, as mentioned above, the last incarnation of Porterhouse North wasn't part of the Porterhouse group. This is effectively a change of ownership, not just of ethos. I'm guessing the previous tenants weren't making enough money on those burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Can you still go in and have a couple of pints or is it totally aimed at eating? I presume the late licence at weekends is gone now too

BeerNut wrote: »
    But, as mentioned above, the last incarnation of Porterhouse North wasn't part of the Porterhouse group. This is effectively a change of ownership, not just of ethos. I'm guessing the previous tenants weren't making enough money on those burgers.

Like McGowans, they made their profits at the weekends, id imagine the midweek takings kept the lights on.

Like McGowans, they made their profits at the weekends, id imagine the midweek takings kept the lights on.

Edit, the guy also told me that the staff with the exception of the chef perhaps, will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The barman in the PHB may not have been reliably informed though ;)

The barman in the PHB may not have been reliably informed though ;)

Maybe,i dunno, he seemed to know the crack anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

This place is just up the road from my house, I went on Monday for the first time since it reopened. Was really looking forward to trying it, I never liked the food from the old porterhouse menu, so much so we had stopped going.

Interior is largely the same but some cool new touches like some industrial light cages that are quite cool! Agree with other posters that they could have done more to change the decor though. As you walk in, the bar is still on the left with seats/tables if you just want a few drinks. The part on the right is now the dining room, no tellies on that side any more which I was delighted about!

As to the food: definitely more restaurant style menu, yes a bit hipster but I'm in favour of trying new things and for places to be a bit more adventurous. Menu reads really well, loads of things I want to try: tear and share bread and dips, flatbreads, steaks and beercan chicken done on their new smoker, turbot... I could go on! Not sure if their menu is online yet

Having said all that, we ended up going for burgers as they have a different deal each night, and Monday night it was a burger and pint for 15€ which was too good to pass up! Burger was really tasty, chips just average which was a pity. Will definitely be back to try the rest of the menu, some of their deals are really great, one night is two steaks, four sides and a bottle of wine for 50€! They also seem to be doing brunch on Sundays but didn't see the menu for that

Overall if you're in the area, I'd say it's definitely worth a look!

Advertisement