Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's protein everywhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Worked for Little Miss Muffet...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

My biggest complaint about protein powder is that it all tastes like ****. Well at least it tastes like **** unless your willing to spend €50 per kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My biggest complaint about protein powder is that it all tastes like ****. Well at least it tastes like **** unless your willing to spend €50 per kg.
    Then it just tastes like expensive shit!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Brace yourselves for protein beer which seems to becoming a thing in the US. Imagine the smell the next day...jesus

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

These things are just made from apple cores and old Chinese newspapers. I wish people would have some cop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

"To be used in conjuction with exercise and a healthy lifestyle"..Not much good gulping shakes down while lying on the couch.

It must be one of the greatest marketing tricks since bottled water that has people consuming the leftovers from cheese/dairy production that was previously used as animal feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hemp Protein is where it's at now my bras. Obviously, being cannabis based it's all good, has no bad things in it and probably causes cancer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

eggs. all the protein supplement you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Its mad how they can print high in protein on the carton when it has the same amount of protein as regular milk, but they don't have to print high in sugar when it has twice the amount of sugar in it.

Almost as bad as Brennans putting "Low in Fat" on their packaging, don't lie to me Mr. Brennan, your bread is doing me arse NO favours!!

Mooju has considerably more protein in it than regular milk though. It's actually as good if not better than your standard whey protein shake after working out.

When I see all these people going around with huge arms, swigging from those coloured water bottles, conscious of their macronutrient intake and insisting on eating lots of protein, I just think of how contemptably vain people have become within the last 10 years, but especially within the last 5 years since those ultra-self-indulgent haircuts and fashions came to be considered normal, instead of something which people are ashamed to wear as was the case before then. All these lads with super-preened facial hair, maintained by use of an electric-shaver. Terrified of their hairlines receding, so they make sure the hair on the inside is super-tight to reduce how unaesthetic it looks. Every single one of them - BORRRRRRRINNNNNG. Everywhere I look I see lads fixing their self-indulgent hairstyles with their hands. The most pathetic generation of males who've ever walked the earth. All while wearing skinny tracksuit bottoms that would have looked like girls tights to someone in 2005. Social media has made everyone more shallow, insecure, vain, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, unhappy. And yet, because "everyone else" uses it, we all feel like we need to keep using it.

Another thing about protein consumption; high-quality protein requires many trophic levels of plants to produce. This selfish generation thinks it can eat chicken breasts and brocolli everyday for its dinner without having an impact on the amount of remaining animal biomass of the earth. If every single human being on earth tried to eat as much protein as them, there wouldn't be enough to go around. And they don't even need so much protein, it is purely to build muscle to keep up with all the other unhappy, privilleged, self-indulgent, "become a better man" carbon-copies of each other with 1-on-the-inside boy-band haircuts. I suppose though this is the generation that selfishly has a shower or two every day and thinks that if you go even one day without having a shower you are utterly disgusting and smelly, even though in the 90s it wasn't the case. Indifferent or ignorant to the fact they are using up non-renewable energy which then can't be used by future humans.

Surely women nowadays hate what men have turned into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A lot of women are the same though. Most of the vain gym selfie taking overnight nutritionists on my facebook feed are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Personally I of course like to see a guy who takes care of himself and respects his body, but those cases whn they cannot touch their thighs with their hands cause their arm muscles are overly increased in volume - well, that is not attractive to me at all.
    Also poeple who go vascular its like omg this is ugly.
    I mean it is their choice and I respect that however I do not have to like everything on the plate lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

*takes pic of Quest bar* #gainz

Lavinia wrote: »
    Also poeple who go vascular its like omg this is ugly.l

Like this guy. :eek: http://bodybuildersinc.yuku.com/topic/3111/Is-this-dude-the-most-vascular-bodybuilder-in-the-world

Ya for example.. not sure why but it seems to me as body-abuse :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

He looks utterly ridiculous. Then again, most body builders do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

When I see all these people going around with huge arms, swigging from those coloured water bottles, conscious of their macronutrient intake and insisting on eating lots of protein, I just think of how contemptably vain people have become within the last 10 years, but especially within the last 5 years since those ultra-self-indulgent haircuts and fashions came to be considered normal, instead of something which people are ashamed to wear as was the case before then. All these lads with super-preened facial hair, maintained by use of an electric-shaver. Terrified of their hairlines receding, so they make sure the hair on the inside is super-tight to reduce how unaesthetic it looks. Every single one of them - BORRRRRRRINNNNNG. Everywhere I look I see lads fixing their self-indulgent hairstyles with their hands. The most pathetic generation of males who've ever walked the earth. All while wearing skinny tracksuit bottoms that would have looked like girls tights to someone in 2005. Social media has made everyone more shallow, insecure, vain, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, unhappy. And yet, because "everyone else" uses it, we all feel like we need to keep using it.

Another thing about protein consumption; high-quality protein requires many trophic levels of plants to produce. This selfish generation thinks it can eat chicken breasts and brocolli everyday for its dinner without having an impact on the amount of remaining animal biomass of the earth. If every single human being on earth tried to eat as much protein as them, there wouldn't be enough to go around. And they don't even need so much protein, it is purely to build muscle to keep up with all the other unhappy, privilleged, self-indulgent, "become a better man" carbon-copies of each other with 1-on-the-inside boy-band haircuts. I suppose though this is the generation that selfishly has a shower or two every day and thinks that if you go even one day without having a shower you are utterly disgusting and smelly, even though in the 90s it wasn't the case. Indifferent or ignorant to the fact they are using up non-renewable energy which then can't be used by future humans.

You seem a little insecure. And by 'a little' I mean very.

You realise most people don't eat chicken 3 or 4 times a day and actually use supplementation. Like, eh...protein powder!

And you don't shower everyday? Jesus. Go and have a wash will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

You seem a little insecure. And by 'a little' I mean very.

You realise most people don't eat chicken 3 or 4 times a day and actually use supplementation. Like, eh...protein powder!

And you don't shower everyday? Jesus. Go and have a wash will you.

Nah, Herr Freud, alas the dude has a point.

There's a good reason why women in Ireland usually captain the relationship, organising, making decisions etc. A lot of man-brah's haven't a lick of sense, they remind me a little of 'the beautiful ones' of John B. Calhoun's behavioral sink/Mice Utopia experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Jays, as a woman, I'd deal better with a man who doesn't feel that he has to testosterone the leadership in the relationship and make all my decisions for me. :eyeroll:

May as well accept that forming yourself into what you think is the ideal for the opposite sex isn't really going to attract what you actually want and just be yourself. Saves everyone a lot of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think we all know who the unhappy, shallow, insecure one is in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I think it has its place in moderation (protein powders that is).... I used it as part of shakes once or twice a day which meant i wasnt snacking on rubbish...Its a lot handier to quickly grab a shake than cook up eggs/clean dishes after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yeah lol at those people watching what they're eating and trying to eat healthy. Eat the stuff in the shiny packets that you heat up in the microwave like the rest of us so we can all spend 50% of the tax take on the health system you selfish morons.
    Who do you think you are with your self discipline and hard work...what are you like trying to improve your self esteem.
    Sit on the couch with a Budweiser watching Britain's Got Diabetes and fall in line.

Well,, on protein...
    Knowing our body needs only 0.8 gams per kilogram of body mass it is so easy to get it eating normally:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-list-40-high-protein-foods.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Who doesnt like being yoked? 6-7hrs a week in the gym and dont eat crap, a few protein shakes, its not really an onerous price to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Milk, steak & beans, all the protein a body needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Lavinia wrote: »
    Well,, on protein...
    Knowing our body needs only 0.8 gams per kilogram of body mass it is so easy to get it eating normally:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-list-40-high-protein-foods.html

Would that amount suffice for someone looking to pack on muscle though?

I'd imagine more might be required if someone is trying to gain muscle but I've always thought the 1g per lb of bodyweight recommended by the old school body builders seemed a bit excessive. How do people in prison get big with what I assume is quite a limited diet?

zuutroy wrote: »
    ...what are you like trying to improve your self esteem.

And why is their self-esteem low in the first place? Because the culture they grew up within and exist within is utterly toxic for their mental health and if they don't meet extremely high standards of physical aesthetics they become unattractive relative to all those who *do* manage to meet the extremely high standards, and because of social media they will damn well know this is the case. Lads these days who have physiques which would have been deemed muscular in the 1970s would now get sneered at by dead-on-the-inside self-induglent boy-band haircut sporting men saying "do you even lift", as they wash down a protein shake.

And to the other poster; yes, of *course* I'm more insecure living nowadays than I would have been if I was this age in 2005, 1995, 1985 etc.- life is much more materially comfortable nowadays but much more socially cut-throat and it is psychologically toxic for us all. How many people are actually happy with themselves and their life? Like actually? Look up the piraha tribe. Depression doesn't exist in such communities with totally different cultures to us. Depression is a consequence of a societies culture, it is not an inevitable human experience. And cultural/social features of 2016, compared with as recently as 2005 (pre-social media and self-indulgence/self-absorption overdrive basically) are much more conducive to depression.

Not that social media etc. are the only cultural features of nowadays conducive to depression; information overload, too high aspirations, atomisation/individualisation etc. are some of the many, many other features .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I can't profess to know anything about what it's like growing up these days so maybe you're onto something. However, the skinny kid has been picked on since the dawns of time, so if escaping that group makes them feel better then good luck to them. It's an easier job than trying to change society.
    I started going to the (university) gym because my back and knees were going to pieces and have benefitted a lot from it.
    Most of the other lads in there seem pretty down to earth and are trying to get stronger for whatever sports they play or are into olympic weightlifting. I don't see any of the machoism that you're talking about. Maybe a Uni gym is a bad reference point though.

• Advertisement

RWCNT wrote: »
    How do people in prison get big with what I assume is quite a limited diet?

Yeah I often wondered about that too. Some of them probably have access to steroids though. John Gilligan for example was on roids.

Advertisement