Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed camera query

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I flash to warn others and expect to be warned back. It's safer, everyone still slows down, and people will be less likely to slam on their brakes with fair warning beforehand. I don't flash for checkpoints or anything else though, no nct / tax / insurance people can go **** themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Tbh these whole go safe van is a pile of sh*te. If they truly are being placed in accident black spots then stick up permanent cameras and eliminate the speeding altogether. Instead they have them in revenue driven spots. Although I am sure they would never ever admit that. I've seen them on roads that have just opened so it can't be because of the large volume of accidents. Big large roads that have stupid limits of 50 instead of even 60 which would be perfectly safe on that type of road, maybe even 80. How often do you see these speed vans on tiny narrow roads with limited driving but often ppl driving over the speed limit. Anyways, sorry, rant over.

OP - if you are not speeding why are you slamming on the brakes? While I appreciate nearly everyone, rightly or wrongly, slows down when they see them if you already knew you were below the limit what were you worried about? Check your speedometer first. If someone was behind you cruising along you could cause an accident (albeit the person behind should be driving a safe enough distance away to react to any situation accordingly).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭893bet

How is it dangerous to jam the brakes? How does that make you a bad driver?

It's only dangerous if some **** stick is up your arse and not paying attention in which case there is only one bad driver.

Brake away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    it has to be the most boring of jobs stuck inside that van for hours on end ...i almost feel sorry for them, you must be desperate for work to take it
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

i am serious, must be a god awful job

893bet wrote:
    How is it dangerous to jam the brakes? How does that make you a bad driver?

893bet wrote:
    It's only dangerous if some **** stick is up your arse and not paying attention in which case there is only one bad driver.

893bet wrote:
    Brake away.

Fair enough, but what if it was the op that ended up badly or seriously hurt cos of said "**** stick" went in to the back of him? Would it be worth "braking away" then for no good reason? He was already way below the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Paulownia wrote: »
    My mother once pulled off the road and got out to see if there was something wrong with her car because people kept flashing her.

The first time I drove a reasonably long distance alone I kept getting flashed about half way into the journey. Hadn't a clue what was going on, thought something was wrong with my car. Was freaked, could imagine the wheel was about to fall off or something :o . About a mile up the road there was a speed camera, so then it made sense. I had no idea flashing cars to warn them of speed cameras was a "thing" until that time..

fryup wrote:
    i am serious, must be a god awful job

You would know where the cameras were and speed around in your van all day though. Bonus! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote:

I thought they put stickers on all the vans now to confirm that there was somebody in them at all times. Wasn't there an incident that someone tried to burn one after getting caught speeding and that's why they put the notice up? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I'm sure some will agree/correct me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's nothing illegal about flashing for a Go Safe van the illegal act when flashing is obstructing a Garda in their duties, or something along them lines, and the Go Safe operators aren't Gardai.

Whst Gardaí can do somebody who flashes for obstructing a Gardaí in their duties they actually do people who flash for driving without due care and consideration so they could also apply that to GoSafe vans!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When I'm under the speed limit I give the buggers the finger going past.

If I'm going in the opposite direction I give the flash warning to approaching drivers.

If I'm on my motorbike I speed up because they can't catch me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OP you were already below the limit so no need to jam on at all. Drive consistently and don't be a danger on the roads (side rant: I hate people who tap the brakes every few seconds for no reason or who can't decelerate without hitting the brakes!)

RE: flashing.. always do it. Most of these vans are situated to the side of wide dual carriageways or places like the N7 inbound (just after the esso garage at exit 8) at 7pm at night.
    F&ck all to do with "safety", everything to do with generating stats to justify their existence and revenue for the State.. damn right I'll warn others and I appreciate it when people do the same :)

Also, for info, these vans can read multiple lanes at once (on both side of the road - unless there's a concrete barrier like on the N7) but the camera is in the back so no it can't catch you if you're approaching on the other side of the road and slow before you pass the back window. I *think* the effective distance is about 150m so no need to panic if you see it well in advance. One other thing to watch out for on motorways is that the Gardai have taken to parking up on the on-ramps at exits so you don't spot them until you've already passed them below. Again another sneaky tactic designed to catch people out rather than promote improved safety and behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

TLDR; I'm wondering is there anything wrong with breaking hard when you see a speed van?
    Also is it wrong to flash other people about said Speed van? (I may or may not have done this!)

I have been told it is not illegal to flash oncoming cars... anyways, how will they ever 1. find out 2. prove it

*Tip: loosen your number plate... the photo will turn out blurred

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It's strange how it is illegal to flash.

There was a radio report on Friday with people ringing in, warning of the locations of speed vans/cameras. Is that illegal too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's only illegal to flash if it's a Garda conducting the speed check. GoSafe fish-shooters have absolutely no authority to enforce the law whatsoever and therefore flashing to warn of them is not obstructing a Garda. We don't have an offence entitled "perverting the course of justice" like in the UK.

That's my understanding, and could be wrong - although I don't expect it is and don't tend to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I'm surprised that there are so many people naive enough to think that the Go Safe vans have anything to do with road safety. It's about collecting revenue. It was always about collecting revenue and it will always be about collecting revenue.

The vans are there for road safety? - now that's a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

When I'm under the speed limit I give the buggers the finger going past.

If I'm going in the opposite direction I give the flash warning to approaching drivers.

If I'm on my motorbike I speed up because they can't catch me :)

can you not drive at them in one of the Mowags ?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

I was on my way to hospital at 3:30 in the morning, was driving in the speed limit all the way but there was a big long stretch of road for 1km straight as and I was doing 90km in a 80km zone..

The speed van was pitch black and parked just on edge of yellow line quite dangerous I thought for him be so close to road.

Why on earth I'm driving for 1 hour and the speed van is parked of a long straight stretch is ridiculous and at 3:30 in morning of a Thursday night!!

Anyway I suspect since I was 10km over the limit he got one of many easy targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

TG1 wrote: »
    As for flashing, yes that is illegal, but difficult to catch and prosecute, which is why it keeps happening.

Keeps happening cause people are decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'll just add a bit more information I knew there was no one behind me when I breaked.

Also as far as people saying it's illegal to warn other drivers about speed cams (I'm sure someone will/has already posted up the legislation) how do sat Nav companies get away with having such warnings built into their systems?
    How do the many Social Media pages get away with it?
    And also there's signs along roads which are likely to have vans.
    How is any of that different to flashing lights?

sdanseo wrote: »
    It's only illegal to flash if it's a Garda conducting the speed check. GoSafe fish-shooters have absolutely no authority to enforce the law whatsoever and therefore flashing to warn of them is not obstructing a Garda. We don't have an offence entitled "perverting the course of justice" like in the UK.

That's my understanding, and could be wrong - although I don't expect it is and don't tend to test it.

People who flash arn't done for obstructing a Garda, they are done for not driving with due care and consideration so that could be applied to any situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

GM228 wrote: »
    People who flash arn't done for obstructing a Garda, they are done for not driving with due care and consideration so that could be applied to any situation really.
    that makes no sense whatsoever.

This however....

wil wrote: »
    that makes no sense whatsoever.

It may not make sense but that's how Gardaí charge people who are caught flashing (flashing itself isn't defined in law), they have even seized vehicles in the past which have flashed other motorists to warn of checkpoints!

GM228 wrote: »
    It may not make sense but that's how Gardaí charge people who are caught flashing (flashing itself isn't defined in law), they have even seized vehicles in the past who flashed people to warn of checkpoints!
    So if I dim and raise my high beams I'll get done for driving without due care etc.
    Utter nonsense.

I'll need to see a judgement to believe that, and then a breathalyser analysis on same judge.

wil wrote: »
    So if I dim and raise my high beams I'll get done for driving without due care etc.
    Utter nonsense.

I'll need to see a judgement to believe that, and then a breathalyser analysis on same judge.

Unfortunately it isn't nonsense, it's very much a reality!

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/476273935743729664

https://twitter.com/GerrydeBrun/status/476276529992069120

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/476278398835490816

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/476280410918633472

And one of the few cases where someone was done for obstructing a Garda.

http://m.wexfordpeople.ie/news/driver-fined-e300-for-warning-other-motorists-about-garda-checkpoint-27660331.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

flashing for checkpoints is bad. Not sure how it equals a prosecution for driving without due care and consideration though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

brendan86 wrote: »
    I was on my way to hospital at 3:30 in the morning, was driving in the speed limit all the way but there was a big long stretch of road for 1km straight as and I was doing 90km in a 80km zone..

The speed van was pitch black and parked just on edge of yellow line quite dangerous I thought for him be so close to road.

Why on earth I'm driving for 1 hour and the speed van is parked of a long straight stretch is ridiculous and at 3:30 in morning of a Thursday night!!

Anyway I suspect since I was 10km over the limit he got one of many easy targets.

It's there because a lot of people will be going much, much more than 10km over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bringing it back to the crime - a checkpoint is manned by Gardaí, and obstructing them is a crime. You should not flash for a checkpoint or Gardaí. They're generally checking for people who don't pay tax, no insurance, drink, and other assorted scumbags.
    NiallBoo wrote: »
    It's there because a lot of people will be going much, much more than 10km over the limit.

Which, in many of the gosafe locations, is not unsafe, and therefore shouldn't be enforced so rigidly.

• Advertisement

flashing for checkpoints is bad. Not sure how it equals a prosecution for driving without due care and consideration though?
    Some judge must have a fairly blasé interpretation of due care etc.:rolleyes:
    It's still utter nonsense and makes an ass of the law.

Advertisement