Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass killer's rights

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The whole point of this thread is that many people feel that Justice has not been done. What has been seen to be done is the following of procedure circumscribed by a vision of human rights which effectively hamstrings any of the measures taken in prison. Breivik deserves the bare minimum of rights: shelter and food. And I don't support the death penalty simply because errors are made and death is irreversible. Breivik deserves to be kept alive and spend the rest of his life in jail. No parole. No pardon. None of the luxuries of western liberalism. No comforts. Handcuffs when prison decides. Searches when prison decides. His existence monitored constantly. Justice for those who died and their families who live on without them demands that in my view. Justice by the state is organized vengeance.

All well and good, but you're back onto your slippery slope if you go down that route. The man is a citizen and as such has rights and those need to be upheld. Those rights need to be upheld because of who we are and not because of what he did or did not do. The whole point of prison is that his imprisonment is the punishment. His liberty is removed for the protection of society. Turning him into a slave to satisfy the desire for vengeance isn't the way to go. Frankly, we're better than that and that's where human rights law comes in. It stops that arbitrary behaviour by the State (in theory at least). If we turn every 'bad' case into an exception, we eventually end up with a confused and useless system that makes a mockery of its stated aims and us.

SD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He had them from when he was born just like everyone else.

Do people really think it wise to have a system were it can be decided that individuals have simply lost their rights? It's pretty clear cut for a serial killer that no one will care, but the idea that it would stop there is fanciful.

Seems like a fairly good idea to me actually .

Refuse to live by the laws of the land and respect the rights of others , you lose your rights for a set time while you are in jail.

for creatures like this guy it should be life sadly it isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Welcome to the hypocrissy of life :)

Now just hear me out. Imagine what Anders Breivik did took place in Ireland and he is currently in Mountjoy. But same thing happened, his human rights were being violated. Now naturally people on the side of human rights would still be on his side. People against would still be against.

But what happened if he escaped? What happens if he was on the loose in the country?
    And thats the point I am trying to make. The hypocrissy. So many "human rights" people would be saying put him down. Don't let him commit another crime.

But before anyone quotes me to say he hasn't escaped. Well he can still snap and kill another inmate or another guard. Where is there human rights?
    Out of sight... out of mind huh?

Advertisement