Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive explosion and fire at ESB substation caused by copper wire thieves

Options
  • 20-04-2016 8:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

THE MASSIVE FIRE at an ESB substation in Dublin that left thousands of homes without power on Sunday night was caused by thieves attempting to steal copper wire, the electricity company has said.
    Around 120,000 customers had their supply cut off after a blaze broke out at a transformer in the substation on Kylemore Way, in the Inchicore area of west Dublin
    The company said in a statement that an investigation has found the fire was caused by “third-party interference” at the site. The overall cost of the incident to the utility is estimated at up to €10 million, a spokesperson said.

Well that was Friday maybe if a description was released it might help jog peoples memories.
    This event caused chaos in Tallaght Hospital on Monday because of computer systems going down.

Here is another case from two years ago.
    THIEVES climbed an electricity pylon at a Wicklow farm and cut high voltage wires before stealing more than €100,000 worth of copper wire,enough to stretch the length of two football pitches.
    Gardai have not yet made arrests in the case but are probing whether the crime was carried out by either eastern European criminals or a Traveller gang.Amazingly, no-one was injured during the course of the theft.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/thieves-scale-live-esb-pylon-to-steal-100k-of-copper-30589896.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pity they didn't get electrocuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Ah sure all dat copper was just lying there boss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Brave or insane these dudes

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

I've heard of this happening in small locales but never anything quite this big :O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's shocking, Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭emo72

That stuff was there since electrification. Lying there for about a hundred years. And all of a sudden gangs decide "Ya know lads, we'll have that". Mad. Obvious stuff that no one ever thought to steal, what's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

their rich culture adding so much to the tapestry of Irish life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They should be plugged in to the mains! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

vicwatson wrote: »
    Brave or insane these dudes

Where along the lines does "bravery" come into stealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seems to be incredibly valuable stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

THIEVES climbed an electricity pylon at a Wicklow farm and cut high voltage wires before stealing more than €100,000 worth of copper wire,enough to stretch the length of two football pitches.
    I thought most overhead HV cables were aluminium, not copper because of the weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

kneemos wrote:
    Seems to be incredibly valuable stuff.

It's invaluable if someone is kept alive in a hospital..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well that was Friday maybe if a description was released it might help jog peoples memories.
    This event caused chaos in Tallaght Hospital on Monday because of computer systems going down.

Here is another case from two years ago.

In all fairness critical systems should be on a UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Is McNulty on the case? He's in charge of The Wire!

when this happened before it was foreign gangs, so I wouldn't be too quick to assume it was our local lads. Just to be fair lads. Not that it makes a difference. Bad is bad the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

emo72 wrote: »
    when this happened before it was foreign gangs, so I wouldn't be too quick to assume it was our local lads. Just to be fair lads. Not that it makes a difference. Bad is bad the world over.

English with Irish heritage or further afield? I don't remember what happened the last time.

English with Irish heritage or further afield? I don't remember what happened the last time.
    Eastern European I thought. Very industrious workers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Did they not watch Friday Night Lights and see how this ruined Tim Riggins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

This happens on daily basis here in Italy.
    Copper wires and roof gutters (are made of copper here) are stolen everyday.
    In over 95% of cases the culprits are Eastern European people, namely Romanian, who don't care at all what those wires were supplying, a hospital, a railway, a neighbourhood.
    Last news we had of such a fact was yesterday when the stolen wires left a highway tunnel dark and four people died in a car crash.
    Last winter a whole railway line got halted for the same reason.
    Luckily enough some of those thieves do not succed in their task and are found incinerated next to the wires they were going to steal :)

Another good material for thieves is cast iron, mainly used for manhole covers.
    Three years ago I woke up on a morning a found out that all the covers in my street had been stolen overnight. Just imagine what would have happened is some car would drive over an uncovered manhole! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Culture, boss

• Advertisement

This happens on daily basis here in Italy.
    Copper wires and roof gutters (are made of copper here) are stolen everyday.
    In over 95% of cases the culprits are Eastern European people, namely Romanian, who don't care at all what those wires were supplying, a hospital, a railway, a neighbourhood.
    Last news we had of such a fact was yesterday when the stolen wires left a highway tunnel dark and four people died in a car crash.
    Last winter a whole railway line got halted for the same reason.
    Luckily enough some of those thieves do not succed in their task and are found incinerated next to the wires they were going to steal :)

Another good material for thieves is cast iron, mainly used for manhole covers.
    Three years ago I woke up on a morning a found out that all the covers in my street had been stolen overnight. Just imagine what would have happened is some car would drive over an uncovered manhole! :eek:

Apparently the Romanians have adopted the method of waiting awhile for them to hook the cable to the back of the Jeep and turning the power back on.

Fairly extreme,but they be crazy over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Alun wrote: »
    I thought most overhead HV cables were aluminium, not copper because of the weight?

They're both I think, armoured cable. A lot of the time they burn the aluminium off in a pyre before retrieving the copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

"The company said in a statement that an investigation has found the fire was caused by “third-party interference” at the site. The overall cost of the incident to the utility is estimated at up to €10 million, a spokesperson said"

Sounds like someone was tinkering around with those wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

What a beautiful display of a noble culture... boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If they are stealing, they are selling, and someone is buying.
    Are they stealing to order?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Have we licenced scrap merchants, banned them from making cash payments and required them to register their purchases and document both seller and the providence of their goods?
    No, of course not, which is why a lot of this practice continues, because Ireland doesn't do joined up thinking, proper and enforced regulation or care for tackling problems at their root cause.
    Nor has revenue bothered to crawl up the arse, with a microscope, of everybody living in Rathkeale driving a 161 D reg BMW 4x4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Simple thing is the scrap metal dealer accepting this should be charged for being in receipt of stolen goods and the book thrown at them.

Also, it's bloody hard to get a large quantity of scrap metal out of Ireland without being noticed. It's not like large quantities of ESB lines or telephone wiring are disposed of on a regular basis through unusual channels.

While I can see it being an issue where you've porous land borders. It really shouldn't be a big difficulty in Ireland to make life very hard for anyone attempting to do this.

12Phase wrote: »
    Simple thing is the scrap metal dealer accepting this should be charged for being in receipt of stolen goods and the book thrown at them.

Also, it's bloody hard to get a large quantity of scrap metal out of Ireland without being noticed. It's not like large quantities of ESB lines or telephone wiring are disposed of on a regular basis through unusual channels.

While I can see it being an issue where you've porous land borders. It really shouldn't be a big difficulty in Ireland to make life very hard for anyone attempting to do this.

Interesting point.Do we have smelting facilities or is it exported in bulk?
    Might not be that hard to hide in a container full of copper cylinders and various odds and ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

ESB substations should look like an RUC Station during the troubles.
    They know they're going to be targeted and should have appropriate defences.

That said there needs to be proper regulation of the scrap industry and cash for gold shops.
    For the life of me I don't know why the government haven't already done this, given the crime that these industries fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Electric chair for them, just for the ironing

Advertisement