If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Hello all! This is just a quick reminder to ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere.

Removal of Aggressive Tennant



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ newacc2015

    I am now!

    To drag this back on topic as it was my derailment, sorry. If this thing is attached I'd be quietly optimistic about getting advice to the effect that the tenants were infact licensees. However don't take that as legal advice in any shape or form!

    Did you register with the PRTB?

    That what I think too, that the OP might be able to prove they are in fact licensees. He needs to go to a Solicitor to find out obviously.

    OP you can still register an licensee agreement incorrectly with the PRTB.

  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pnormal44

    OP? Whats that? I already have a ruling from PRTB that they are not licensees.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭ tinpib

    pnormal44 wrote: »
    OP? Whats that? I already have a ruling from PRTB that they are not licensees.

    OP = Original Poster, i.e. the person who starts a thread/post online.

  • pnormal44 wrote: »
    OP? Whats that? I already have a ruling from PRTB that they are not licensees.

    I wouldn't take that as gospel, they will of course try to side with tenants. If rooms are let separately with no exclusive access to the house its very hard to argue they are full blown tenants.

    I still think you should just move yourself in as a new housemate, there are spare rooms, you need to fill them why can't one of them be filled by you? If it really is the case that the only person on the planet you cannot move into the spare rooms is the LL then its gone to levels of crazy never seen before.

    If I was you op I'd move in this evening and take it from there.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭ Irishcrx

    As others have said , move into the house and make him a licensee then evict him. Probably won't be pleasant but just bear with it and get it over with.

    If the utilities are seperate from the house , cut them off and force his hand. Won't stay long without electricity , water , heating..

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,903 ✭✭✭✭ SEPT 23 1989

    Have you any large friends who could move into the house for a while and make his life a living hell?

  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭ ted1

    Challenge the finding, if there is only one electrical supply then that implies that there is only one dwelling.
    There is only one LPT due and not two charges, so there is only one charge.

    Are the water systems shared? Same again there is only one premises.
    A good solicitor should be able to persuade them

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭ Pat Mustard

    pnormal44 wrote: »
    To complicate matters further, I also live at the address in a quality Wooden/Seomra unit in the back garden.

    Perhaps I'm wrong here but from what you say, it sounds like the tenant is paying only a portion of the rent and expenses in respect of the house but he has the run of the whole place, while you live a garden shed. Is that right? If so, things are very comfortable for this guy.

    You need to get your solicitor to take matters in hand. I agree that the whole area of Landlord & Tenant law is a minefield but you need a strategy and you need it asap.

    If you want answers straight away, you will have to be prepared to pay for them but the cost of the advice should be the least of your worries.

    Get your solicitor to start moving on this.

  • Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

    OP, I think you need a multi-faceted approach to this challenge.

    You must act legally, of course, or you are cooking your goose re the PRTB case.

    But are there are things that you can do which could make the please unpleasant ehough that the tenant changes his mind and decides to leave. I'm thinking very regular inspections, loud and smelly (paint fumes) maintenance on the empty rooms, maybe some short term house-mates (referred to elsewhere as "large friends").

    Also, what about some external interest. Maybe the council could do an inspection - they might even order you to move out of your shed and into a room. Is the drug-use enough of an issue that the guards could be got interested? Is he on Welfare - are there any issues which should be reported to them? Is his car-tax and insurance up to date? Does he have a TV license? Have you got assurance that Irish Water charges are being paid?

    And the neighbours - could any of them make complaints about him or his behaviour, not only to you but also to external agencies?

    Is there a chance he would be aggressive towards real-estate agents who are part of the sales process. Any aggression should be reported to the guards.


    I'm sure there are other totally legal things you can think of, too. By themselves, they may not be enough. But collectively they may make him decide that a different neighbourhood would be a good idea.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Paulw

    Mod Note: Too much advice coming in here is boardering on illegal, never mind the explicitly illegal advice. OP needs to consult a solicitor for proper legal advice.

    Thread Closed

  • Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.