Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drone hit British Airways plane near Heathrow Airport

Options
  • 17-04-2016 8:10pm

A plane approaching Heathrow Airport is believed to have hit a drone before it landed safely, the Metropolitan Police has said.
    The British Airways flight from Geneva was hit as it approached the London airport at about 12:50 BST with 132 passengers and five crew on board.
    After landing, the pilot reported an object - believed to be a drone - had struck the front of the Airbus A320.

Source: BBC news http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36067591

A real sign of the times? Hope they caught whoever the idiot thought it would be a good idea to fly a drone anywhere near Heathrow.

Should drones be registered and licenses held?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They already do once their over a certain weight, we're actually ahead when it comes to drone legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

A real sign of the times? Hope they caught whoever the idiot thought it would be a good idea to fly a drone anywhere near Heathrow.

Those stupid drones should be banned. Signed., Darth Vader.

If a drone can cause that, a worker could take out a Cessna and a queen could drop a jumbo...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Need to invent drone alerts, just like the anti collision devices on planes.

Surely someone has thought of that by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gatling wrote: »
    They already do once their over a certain weight, we're actually ahead when it comes to drone legislation

Don't you mean they should be punched out of the air and banned?.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Need to invent drone alerts, just like the anti collision devices on planes.

Surely someone has thought of that by now.

You would need an anti collision device on the drone as well.

Shannon757 wrote: »
    You would need an anti collision device on the drone as well.

So make that mandatory too. Don't know the costs or feasibility, but if people are interested in using drones for good purposes they will pay.

There is also a terrorism aspect to this, as I'm sure most will have figured out.

So make that mandatory too. Don't know the costs or feasibility, but if people are interested in using drones for good purposes they will pay.

There is also a terrorism aspect to this, as I'm sure most will have figured out.

That's fine on professional drones such as a dji phantom, but for example I have a €80 drone that can fly a few hundred feet up, so if I went to an airport I could easily hit a plane. And that drone is light small and doesn't have to be registered. What do you do then?

Don't you mean they should be punched out of the air and banned?.. :pac:

Absolutely taken down and pounded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Already are once over a certain size/weight. Also not allowed to fly them without permission near built up areas, or Airports.

Anyone who flys these near airports, or use them lazer pens under flight paths should face the stiffest of penalties.

If a drone can cause that, a worker could take out a Cessna and a queen could drop a jumbo...

Can cause what? I highly doubt a pilot would make a false claim about it and given that the plane was on it's approach then it might be plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can cause what? I highly doubt a pilot would make a false claim about it and given that the plane was on it's approach then it might be plausible.

Whoosh... :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Esel wrote: »

Tbh, it wasn't till your 'Whoosh' that I got it.

:D

Esel wrote: »

It's a fair question.

I was referring to the proletariat, who hate the champagne Charlie lifestyles of those with Cessnas, and HRH Queen Elizabeth II.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

It's idiots like this that fly near airports/built up areas that are going to ruin the hobby for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hah! Shyts gone and hit the fan for some poor aul fcuking ejit!

Shannon757 wrote: »
    That's fine on professional drones such as a dji phantom, but for example I have a €80 drone that can fly a few hundred feet up, so if I went to an airport I could easily hit a plane. And that drone is light small and doesn't have to be registered. What do you do then?

Yes I know. But maybe given the potential for even the small ones to cause damage/death/destruction (drama or what!) they should all be registered.

Isn't that a simple solution? All registered.

I know there is always the potential for criminal/off regulation activity, but in general.

This seems to be too dangerous for small drones to be off record really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No need for a perspective terrorist to get his hands on an RPG to take down a plane anymore. All they need now is a drone and attach some pouches of flamible liquid. It will be sucked into the front jet engine and kablam.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ah it all makes sense now ;)

http://barnsleybeekeepers.org.uk/wpimages/wpfb8c800b_06.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it was going to happen sooner or later

No need for a perspective terrorist to get his hands on an RPG to take down a plane anymore. All they need now is a drone and attach some pouches of flamible liquid. It will be sucked into the front jet engine and kablam.

Nice. I am travelling by plane next week.

Should I be worried about a bird strike or a drone or something else.

This is getting ridiculous now.

Many will just stay at home in their little or big armchairs and use Google streetview to travel.

Too Hollywood .

The majority of drones are just made out of injection moulded abs plastic and a few circuit boards with a maximum flight time of 20 mins ,

Nice. I am travelling by plane next week.

Should I be worried about a bird strike or a drone or something else.

You do realise they test planes by firing frozen Turkeys at several hundred fps at them.

You do realise they test planes by firing frozen Turkeys at several hundred fps at them.

Of course I do.

But I don't want them to hit MY plane lol.

Some scrotes out there will do anything for a laugh. For them it's a laugh anyway. Faceache will spread the potential.

Nervous me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Or attach some sort of e xplosive to the drone? A flying b om b that will detonate on impact, like a mine?

The majority of drones are just made out of injection moulded abs plastic and a few circuit boards with a maximum flight time of 20 mins ,

20 minutes would be enough to take off and , in the wrong hands, interfere with parked planes at airports? I am not sure how, but perhaps interfere with sensors, instruments or fittings on outside of plane?

Unfortunately sooner or later I can see a major terrorist incident caused somehow by a drone somewhere in the world. Maybe drones will become suicide drones.

maryishere wrote: »
    20 minutes would be enough to take off and , in the wrong hands, interfere with parked planes at airports? I am not sure how, but perhaps interfere with sensors, instruments or fittings on outside of plane?

Unfortunately sooner or later I can see a major terrorist incident caused somehow by a drone somewhere in the world. Maybe drones will become suicide drones.

It gets worse

It gets worse

It surely does.

"UK should prepare for use of drones in terrorist attacks, says thinktank
    Power stations, summits and the PM’s car are all potential targets for unmanned aerial vehicles carrying explosives, says Remote Control project"

"Commercially available drones have the potential to be converted into flying bombs capable of hitting targets such as nuclear power stations or the prime minister’s car, a report by a security thinktank has warned.

“Drones are a game changer in the wrong hands,” warns the lead author of the report by the Oxford Research Group’s Remote Control project.

The report, The Hostile Use of Drones by Non-State Actors Against British Targets, highlights concerns that “drones will be used as simple, affordable and effective airborne improvised explosive devices”."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/11/drones-terrorist-attacks-security-thinktank

I am surprised some people have not abused their potential more to date actually....even just for "fun" or visual vandalism at public events etc.

• Advertisement

Rc cars ,boats and planes for donkey years now it's all delusional paranoia when it comes to drones ,
    For some odd reason drones seem to Strike terror into people,

total irrational stuff.

A simple solution would be to block certain radio frequencies around sensitive locations

Advertisement