Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are you having for sunday dinner today?

Options
  • 17-04-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

Well i'm having....

Roast Chicken with mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, yorkshire puds, peas & carrots with gravy on the side.

Desert, Apple crumble with either custard or vanilla ice cream or both (haven't decided yet)

and you...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Whatever is in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Hurtbuthealing

Lobster and crayfish salad with a well chilled Muscadet, haunch of venison, pomme au gratin, medley of roast root vegetables, redcurrant jus and and lovely bottle of Nuits St George
    For dessert Chocolate fondant and homemade vanilla ice cream with a Baileys sauce.

Seafood hotpot. Girlfriend has friends over. I'm in and out stealing prawns and clams all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't know
    Don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Have the breakfast on, so haven't put much thought into dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

biko wrote: »
    Don't know
    Don't care

microwave man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I made a different sort of take on braised chicken with creamy potatoes and mushrooms, using rice instead of potatoes, and we're having the leftovers since it made a lot and there are only two of us. Briefly, I cut a chicken into serving pieces, browned them in butter in a cast-iron casserole, took them out to saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic, added well-seasoned chicken broth, sour cream, white wine, a sprinkle of grated hard cheese, and herbs, then stirred in some basmati rice and topped it with the chicken and its juices, then baked it for an hour. Green veg or just a salad would go well with it. It turned out so good my chef-in-training husband made me go type up the recipe.

Some sort of take away and not until late in the evening, haven't even got up to go for breakfast yet. Hungover as a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I had my Sunday dinner yesterday. Don't have time to make it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Some sort of take away and not until late in the evening, haven't even got up to go for breakfast yet.

Some sort of take away and not until late in the evening, haven't even got up to go for breakfast yet.

Same here, still in the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Meh not hungry. So hung over. Maybe a bowl of ready Brek later and then maybe something this evening. Might go out for something tonight. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Pot Noodle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Usually have a roast but oh offered to take me to my favourite place for dinner today.

Went there and it was booked out. :( Going back at 6, I'm starving now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'm having a friend over. Will probably have liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Heading out later on, depends what's on the menu, but usually I just go for the bacon and cabbage, or roast chicken, and if that's not available, then beef. I'm not a big fan of fish dishes.

Yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Brindor

Tomato Soup, comfy as feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Yoghurt.

This week I've mostly been eating....... yogurt.

Personally I had yesterday's leftover spaghetti bolognese.

Leftovers are just fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Roast leg of lamb with baked garlicky courgettes, spinach, carrot/parsnip mash and roast sounds.

Lemon tart and rhubarb jelly for desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Made a big pot of gluten free pasta and meatballs yesterday.. heated it up for today.. all homemade except the pasta, did 6 of us 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Vegan curry and some oven baked chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

Slightly hungover so I had a chicken kiev, followed by lemon meringue pie, was gawjus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Falafels, flat breads and salad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

cbyrd wrote: »
    Made a big pot of gluten free pasta and meatballs yesterday.. heated it up for today.. all homemade except the pasta, did 6 of us 2 days.

How do you re-heat pasta without it being all sticky?

I've tried adding water a couple of times and re-heating it, but it just makes the pasta all soft and gloopy :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Boiling bacon and cabbage. Lock o' tatties. Mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I do it in a big cast iron casserole dish in the oven, I make extra sauce and heat it on the hob so when the dish is reheated I pour over more sauce and grate parmesan over the top.. the pasta was cooked in the sauce yesterday so it doesn't tend to go sticky like it would cooked in water.. or maybe, I'm just a culinary genius ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I've tried adding water a couple of times and re-heating it, but it just makes the pasta all soft and gloopy :(

If it's plain pasta, heat a pot of water to a rolling boil and plunge one serving of pasta into it (easiest to use a wire strainer) for just long enough to heat it up, just a few seconds really. Repeat for each additional serving. This is how we did it when I worked in a restaurant. It helps if the pasta is not overcooked to begin with, of course.

Edit: We cooked and portioned all of our pasta in the morning and promptly cooled it in a special refrigerated unit (NOT the big walk-in, where it would pick up off-flavors). It may sound awful to cook pasta in advance, but you really have to if you're using dried pasta instead of fresh (which most small restaurants must do), and it honestly does not affect the quality or taste. Customers will not wait for you to cook dried pasta for each order (even if you had the hob space). And holding cooked pasta warm in a steam tray... rank.

Fishy coconuty curry, saffron rice, cheesecake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Nine southern fried chicken goujons and circa 45 oven chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Reheated pizza

Advertisement