Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another set of headphones!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Hopefully this post won't jinx the whole situation but I bought a pair of Skullcandy earphones for around 25 euro 2 years ago, and they're still in perfect working order. It's not just the head/earphones themselves, but how you treat them and store them.

I have a pair of sennheisers. They had hardly any use when one of the spongy ear things fell off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Where can you get earphones that dont fall out if your ears while jogging? I used to have a samsung pair that were great but i lost them and since then ive bought so many different brands but they keep falling out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Where can you get earphones that dont fall out if your ears while jogging? I used to have a samsung pair that were great but i lost them and since then ive bought so many different brands but they keep falling out!

Used to have a pair of Philips sport earphones...they were very good for running and never fell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I found a pair of iphone headphones in the washing machine.
    Put them in a sock and threw them in with the clothes into the dryer.
    Works just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

biko wrote: »
    I found a pair of iphone headphones in the washing machine.
    Put them in a sock and threw them in with the clothes into the dryer.
    Works just fine.
    Washing machine and dryer forum?

Big fan of Sennheisers.....
    But has anyone considered if you are getting through several pairs of headphones or earbuds a year, chances are likely it's your ears will need replacing in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Put the cable over your ear from the back then the bud into the ear,that way they won't fall out when running or walking.;)

The lads I work with constantly buy cheap headphones and within a week or so they are binned and replaced.I bought more expensive ones and they are still going strong,the plus is that the cable has 2 jacks so it can be replaced if damaged rather than throwing out the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

sugarman wrote: »
    Pet peeve of mine;

Headphones - Are exactly that. Head - phones. You wear them over your head. 2 big speakers joined by a band, over your head.

Earphones - You wear them in your ear. Also known as earbuds.

There is no such thing as in ear headphones:pac:

https://www.google.ie/url?q=http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/best-in-ear-headphones&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiky57agJbMAhWBDRoKHdM_A1MQFgg0MAA&usg=AFQjCNFeYTr2bSFcPHJ_TBYFgNBCyL7bOg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bose me hole. Beats by Dr Dre is what the cool kids are using these days. I saw a young one with dreadlocks at the train station the other day with them. She was head banging while spitting onto the tracks. Cool fooker she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have a pair of sennheisers. They had hardly any use when one of the spongy ear things fell off :(

You can buy replacements on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I spent about 50 on a set of sony ones about 7 years ago that are used daily. Finally broke about a month ago and I got these :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00I3LV11K/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Definitely worth spending a bit more on headphones, the comfort alone is worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

I spent many €€€s on cheap earphones - definition of false economy. In fairness, I was always broke at the time, but buying cheap earphones every other week probably didn't help. Found the fake Apple ones best in terms of sound, but one side would always stop working after a short while.

Got a pair of Beats (don't judge me) and they're still going strong two years later. And I am pure careless with the poor feckers. If they're not in my ears, they're wrapped around my phone, hanging out of my bag, or, once, just sitting in a pool of water. Definitely money well spent. Great for running too - they have that in ear suction thing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bose me hole. Beats by Dr Dre is what the cool kids are using these days. I saw a young one with dreadlocks at the train station the other day with them. She was head banging while spitting onto the tracks. Cool fooker she was.

Classy with an attitude.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sugru-Earbuds/

Wrap some of this stuff around the ends of the wires.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thing I don't like about earphones is the price differentials. Like you can get cheapo ones for €3, sometimes they'll last, other times they won't but the sound from them won't be great. The if you go into the €15-20 range they will sound better but are equally as likely to break within 6 months. Then the next price point seems to be €40

I wouldn't mind spending €20 on earphones but in my experience you don't always get good value for money. Dropping €50 on them seems to be the way to go but its a fair wedge of cash for what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I have a set of Shure that I bought about 5 years ago, I used them for running, out in all weather cycling and I travel with them, they have a thicker cable and are as good as the day I bought them, I went to a forum specially for headphones and took their advice…… They cost around e80

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Frikadellen

Hold on to the receipt and swap them for a new pair if they break within the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    What is it with inear headphones these days, dont last more then 3/4 months and then only plays out of one ear piece,seems to be always the same problem ,stoppeds playing in one ear,my nieces/nephews parents all complain about the same thing, i have a box of full earphones which will only play out of on ear, i know you get what you pay for,but i wont spend €50/60 ona set of inear headphones, but i shouldnt have too, but i have tried sony,phillips, etc all with the same fault, only plays out of one ear after a while why not the both not working would make a refreshing change!

I used to have this problem all the time.
    Main reason was I was not looking after the headphones/earphones properly.
    I was wrapping the headphones around the mp3 player.
    This causes the headphones to stretch breaking the wire and or connection part when it bends.

The solution was simple do not wrap the headphones around the mp3 player.
    Buy a case for the headphones so you can store/carry them when they are not in use.
    This prevents the headphones from getting tangled up.

Source: I have had the same working headphones for well over a year now. Before I used to go through a lot of headphones and it used to be a head wrecker.
    PS dear headphones are a rip off just buy ones that are reasonably priced no brand names!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Have a pair of headphones that came with an old Medion (Aldi) laptop that are about 10 years old. They were well built, rope woven outer on the cable, good quality speakers. Only fault I have now is that the leather finish is flaking off. A friend who is a sound engineer can't get over how good the sound quality is.

For day to day use I use a pair of in ear buds that came with a Galaxy Ace so they're starting to show their age as well. But neither have broken down or failed......yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I bought a pair of sony ones on sale from argos like 2 years ago for about 20 that lasted until a couple of weeks ago.
    While waiting to get paid for my last job, I was stuck buying cheap ones. On my third pair now waiting for my new headphones to arrive in the mail (Shure SE215s). There's clearly nothing holding them together other than the solder to connect the cable to the earpieces so the first tug at all and they're ****ed. I'm someone who is ALWAYS getting the cables caught in things so I destroy the cheaper ones very very quickly.

If you don't care too much about the quality, it's probably a good idea to spend 20-30 on a pair that haven't loads of reviews online complaining about how easily they broke. If they last a year you're probably coming out around the same as if you were buying cheap ones and you don't have to endure one of those situations where you really want to listen to something and only have one side working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    What is it with inear headphones these days, dont last more then 3/4 months and then only plays out of one ear piece,seems to be always the same problem ,stoppeds playing in one ear,my nieces/nephews parents all complain about the same thing, i have a box of full earphones which will only play out of on ear, i know you get what you pay for,but i wont spend €50/60 ona set of inear headphones, but i shouldnt have too, but i have tried sony,phillips, etc all with the same fault, only plays out of one ear after a while why not the both not working would make a refreshing change!

Buy a pair of Sennheiser ones from Amazon. 2 year warranty and all it takes is a brief online chat to get a new pair sent out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cienciano wrote: »
    I spent about 50 on a set of sony ones about 7 years ago that are used daily. Finally broke about a month ago and I got these :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00I3LV11K/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Definitely worth spending a bit more on headphones, the comfort alone is worth it

Cheaper on Ebay

I have a set of earplugs I bring with me almost everywhere - can't stand on-ear headphones when out and about normally, because you can't exactly take them off and put them in a pocket.

Also have a pair of good quality on-ear headphones for long-haul travels, because in-ear earphones get uncomfortable after prolonged use.

And a pair gaming headset.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I spent a bit of time researching in-ears when I was buying my current pair. Previously I've bought buds of the popular brand names always around the €30 mark. I use them daily and would always wind up with one going dead or having to angle the jack a certain direction to get sound from them.
    I went a little more expensive this time and it's well worth the expense. Better sound, more sturdy, dont fall out of my ears as they can be adjusted and I wear them every day in work, cycling, running, hoovering, etc.
    I would have went through a few pair of lesser headphones in this time so I've broken even now. Let's see how long they last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You can get a good pair for 50 grand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't like the big huge sets of headphones - small earbud ones for me all the way.

Sennheiser and to a lesser extent Sony are good brands. You pay a bit more but you get quality that lasts longer. This thread reminds me that I need to buy a new set of headphones.

Advertisement