Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedian to be prosecuted for insulting Turkey's president.

Options
  • 15-04-2016 1:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭

German satirist and television presenter Jan Boehmermann is to be prosecuted for insulting the president of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Angela Merkel has upheld the complaint which will now go to the courts. Boehmermann is currently under police protection following threats and could face up to 5 years in prison if convicted.

I can't believe that this is happening, least of all in a country like Germany. I see no reason why foriegn leaders' feelings should be allowed to dictate free speech like this.

Anyway, here is a link:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/german-comedian-jan-b-hmermann-could-face-prison-for-insulting-smear-poem-against-turkish-president-a6972356.html
    A German comedian could face prosecution in his own country for "insulting" Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Jan Böhmermann, a satirical comedian, is being investigated by German authorities under defamation laws for a poem in which he calls the Turkish premier a "goat f*****" and other insults.

He could face up to five years in prison if Turkey's foreign ministers, who were reportedly angered by the programme, decide to press charges and he is convicted, according to Der Tagesspiegel.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Ah...good old 'goat ****er'...that classic of insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

German comedian?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Never seen Henning Wehn? He's one of my favourites, brilliant on panel shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

The Wurst kind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Unbelievable, this is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Well, he started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Someone should sue on behalf of the goat I'd say he's just as offended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Europe needs Turkey now for the refugee crisis, so we have to follow their demands. Note also the deafening silence from europe about the repression of kurds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Europe Germany needs Turkey now for the refugee crisis, so we have to follow their demands. Note also the deafening silence from europe about the repression of kurds

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Joke was a bit of a Turkey to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

timmyntc wrote: »
    FYP

Actually, no. Germany's admittedly debatable position on the refugee crisis has simply mitigated the problem for other European countries for the moment. The refugees are marching towards Europe, Germany or not.

As for the subject. It was a bit of a stupid move on your man's behalf. There was a satirical comedy which was rather harmless just prior to the airing of this so-called satirical poem. It was directed at Erdogan and Turkey's officials took offence but like I said it was pretty harmless and I guess all sides would have eventually laughed it off. Then your man Böhmermann decided well I'll show you what an insult is and aired this 'satirical poem' where he basically brought things to a head by deliberately calling Erdogan the worst names he could think of. Well, he certainly brought things to a head.

One could argue the free press thing and all that but it was rather stupid all the same. Imagine on an RTE program someone sang a song where they called say for example David Cameron a kiddy fiddler, goat shagger and whatnot. I doubt very much it would be laughed off from all sides.

I can see where Böhmermann is coming from but he brought himself and the German government deliberately into a very awkward position. It was a political decision to allow proceedings to go ahead but it doesn't mean he's actually going to be convicted. Its a farce really. Erdogan is a dangerous man but he's elected and he's the head of state of a NATO partner. Merkel was put in a very very awkward position and I saw this decision coming all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

He tells loads of Stan Boardman jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The Turkey situation is weird, Europe needs them to keep the refugees, but turkey are funding ISIS and causing the refugee situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I know most German comedians have a bad rep and tbh for the most part deservedly so. But let's be honest to have an informed opinion you would actually have to understand the language pretty well. Translated, dubbed or subtitled comedy never works. So we like to slag German comedy but I dare say most people wouldn't actually know.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I know most German comedians have a bad rep and tbh for the most part deservedly so. But let's be honest to have an informed opinion you would actually have to understand the language pretty well. Translated, dubbed or subtitled comedy never works. So we like to slag German comedy but I dare say most people wouldn't actually know.
    A lot of comedy is pretty cultural, everyone I show Father Ted to over here thinks it's pretty stupid

And I mean, does it really need to be pointed out that if you watched Irish tv you would not get a very good impression of irish comedians (how many funny shows has RTE actually made)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A lot of comedy is pretty cultural, everyone I show Father Ted to over here thinks it's pretty stupid

And I mean, does it really need to be pointed out that if you watched Irish tv you would not get a very good impression of irish comedians (how many funny shows has RTE actually made)

Down with this sort of thing

Down with this sort of thing
    Even the eurovision episode was panned by an austrian friend who is a big eurovision fan, that's when I gave up showing it to people :(

Even the eurovision episode was panned by an austrian friend who is a big eurovision fan, that's when I gave up showing it to people :(

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ironically, by actually making the complaint, Turkish authorities confirm themselves to be absolute fascist fücktards who have no place in a union of liberal democracies such as the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Scary stuff. So many people out there cannot not distinguish satire from real sentiment.

It's not a good time to be a comedian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Je Suis Turkey

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Whatever happened to free speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

If Mr. Boehmermann can't prove Mr. Erdogan has sexual intercourse with goats then he shouldn't have made the remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Should we all **** a goat in celebration, or what is the protocol ?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If Mr. Boehmermann can't prove Mr. Erdogan has sexual intercourse with goats then he shouldn't have made the remarks.

What?????

It's a comedy. A joke is a joke and all comedians should worldwide focus on Mr. Erdogan as the butt of jokes. I for one look forward to the PC response by Frankie Boyle and Bill Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Wait, calling someone a goat-shagger is now satire? That's..not so much satire as "random insult is kinda dumb".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Samaris wrote: »
    Wait, calling someone a goat-shagger is now satire? That's..not so much satire as "random insult is kinda dumb".

You are fond of a bit of goat ****ing yourself are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Samaris wrote: »

Depends if its a he or a she goat I suppose mate.

🐐 🐐 🐐

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Why do turkeys even need a president

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You are fond of a bit of goat ****ing yourself are you?

Ah well, living out in the far wesht of the country, there's not a great deal to do...DON'T JUDGE ME!

Advertisement