Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity boxes of sweets in shops.

Options
  • 14-04-2016 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭

Most places you go into now have a charity box of sweets, bars & crisps on the counter, I have one in the shop I run. Every week when the chap comes in to restock the sweets, the honesty box is always short a few euro. A couple of weeks ago I caught one of the regular customers robbing a bar. He tried to say he took the bar out of his pocket but eventually admitted to pinching it & paid his euro. His excuse was it was only a charity box, it wasn't like he was robbing from the shop.

So I'm asking, do you agree with his logic? Is it OK because it's a charity box?Or is he even worse robbing from the Make a Wish foundation? Is he robbing the dreams of some poor sick child?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

He was right to rob the chocolate in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Theft is theft...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Worse. Much worse, IMO. He should be made go to the nearest children's hospital and spend the day with the seriously ill kids he stole from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Depends on the charity. Big salaries paid out to management who run them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

It was Make a Wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Maybe he wished for a free bar of chocolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Is there a price advertised on the box or is it a pay what you can job? If it is the latter I would say it is not stealing albeit morally wrong.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Are those boxes pay what you want?

Edit. Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'm Morally superior here because I don't like Chocolate,

I'd rob the fruit pastilles though !

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Of course he was wrong.

No justification for that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Is there a price advertised on the box or is it a pay what you can job? If it is the latter I would say it is not stealing albeit morally wrong.

The ones I have seen generally have a price on them.

Any of the boxes I've seen in shops have a payment amount printed on them, rather than saying 'Pay what you can'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Er...theft is theft, yes. What on earth would make people think that "because it's only a charity box" makes it any less theft? O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

JustShon wrote: »
    The ones I have seen generally have a price on them.
    maudgonner wrote: »
    Any of the boxes I've seen in shops have a payment amount printed on them, rather than saying 'Pay what you can'.

In that case it would definitely be stealing. I have however seen them with a pay what you can tag as well in the past. Perhaps this is no longer the case as they would be regularly down from people taking without giving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Samaris wrote: »
    Er...theft is theft, yes. What on earth would make people think that "because it's only a charity box" makes it any less theft? O.o

I think the thief was questioning why the shopkeeper should care. A sort of "Sure it's not your stuff, why do you care if I steal it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ireland is full of stingy people that feel aggrieved paying for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I'm sure they take the cost of stolen produce out of the CEO salary. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yup he was wrong. Theft is theft doesn't matter if it from you the shop owner or the charity. Fair dues on calling him out on it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is it OK because it's a charity box?Or is he even worse robbing from the Make a Wish foundation? Is he robbing the dreams of some poor sick child?
    Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Theft is theft...

Exactly. Theft is theft. If you take something that isn't yours and you don't pay for it, that's stealing. Even if you think a charity 'wastes' the money collected, that does not justify taking something - just donate it to someone else, and stop stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Honesty box €1 is printed in red letters on the front, very clearly visible.

He stole the bar to go with his free cup of tea. We have a complimentary tea & coffee station for our regulars... I sarcastically asked him if he wanted me to bring him in a sandwich for his lunch the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Honesty box €1 is printed in red letters on the front, very clearly visible.

He stole the bar to go with his free cup of tea. We have a complimentary tea & coffee station for our regulars... I sarcastically asked him if he wanted me to bring him in a sandwich for his lunch the next day.

Proper order, apart from being theft it's a downright stingy thing to do.

In that case it would definitely be stealing. I have however seen them with a pay what you can tag as well in the past. Perhaps this is no longer the case as they would be regularly down from people taking without giving?

Yeah, and with something like chocolate bars they would have to make sure that they at least cover the cost of manufacturing the bars, and the overheads for placing them in shops.

It sounds to me like the guy was embarrassed to be caught and fired back a 'sure it's no skin off your nose' type of reply. But to even think of doing it in the first place is not something that I can imagine - that it may choke him, as my mam would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Lets be honest OP you don't run the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most places you go into now have a charity box of sweets, bars & crisps on the counter,

Do most shops have one of these?
    I've seen barely a handful of these in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Mostly pharmacies and hardware stores, those types of places I've seen them in.

Op, stealing is stealing and he was wrong to do it. Eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

We had one in my place. I work in a Science Research Building. It was down funds every single week and they just took it away. Some people just blatantly stole from it. Others took a bar with the "intention" of popping a euro in when they had it but they mostly forgot. It's a shame because 1 euro for a bar is actually a great price nowadays.
    I don't like these boxes as it just reminds me what a bunch of stingy fooks so many people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I own a shop with a sweet machine by the counter dispatching a few chocolate balls for a €1. I hate the fecking thing, parents are always haunted by the kids looking for a euro - we are not a sweet/grocery shop.
    It's for charity but as said half it goes to the Angelas Kerrins's of this world - I am going to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

buck65 wrote: »
    It's for charity but as said half it goes to the Angelas Kerrins's of this world - I am going to move it.

That's pure bollocks - even at the peak level of excess of Kerrins' salary, it was still less than 0.25% of the turnover of Rehab. So every fourth harrassed parent would have been contributing 1c to this putative Kerrinsalike. This holier-than-thou attitude to charities is awful to see - these are services the state should be providing in full from general taxation, but don't. In that scenario, similar figures would be flowing to the senior civil servants involved. (when pensions and perks are factored in). The only person you're hurting with your moral indignation are the people depending on services the state has washed its hands of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

In all fairness that's a disgusting thing to do. What grown man can't afford a bar of chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

In all fairness that's a disgusting thing to do. What grown man can't afford a bar of chocolate.

Sounds like it was second nature to him too,any chance of reviewing cctv of his previous visits op?

Advertisement