Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Family Allegedly Forced From Home by Mob

Options
  • 14-04-2016 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gang-forces-polish-family-from-home-in-cork-392873.html

Read this earlier on this morning and it sounds horrific. It resonates with me in particular as I'm from that particular set of estates and this sort of thing embarrasses the f*ck out of me.

While the majority of people from these estates are sound and ordinary people (some of whom came to the aid of the Poles), there is no doubt there's a rump of utter blackguards there set on tormenting anyone viewed as an outsider. It's also clear the notion of a foreign family being housed here particularly riled them up.

It's sad to see this sort of bigotry plaguing parts of Irish society.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Absolute scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

That's pretty shocking, it's a terrible position to put people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

That's awful, I can't believe there are people who act like that in this day and age and think they're in the right, would they like any of the many Irish who now live abroad to be treated like that because they're Irish. They're the ones who should be evicted from the estate.

Absolute pond scum!
    Ireland is the ultimate safe haven for state sponsored sponges and utter scummy leeches of society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

FTA69 wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gang-forces-polish-family-from-home-in-cork-392873.html

Read this earlier on this morning and it sounds horrific. It resonates with me in particular as I'm from that particular set of estates and this sort of thing embarrasses the f*ck out of me.

While the majority of people from these estates are sound and ordinary people (some of whom came to the aid of the Poles), there is no doubt there's a rump of utter blackguards there set on tormenting anyone viewed as an outsider. It's also clear the notion of a foreign family being housed here particularly riled them up.

scum allright but what the **** is a blackguard? I would have said Blaggard myself :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Absolute pond scum!
    Ireland is the ultimate safe haven for state sponsored sponges and utter scummy leeches of society!

Most of Europe would have this kind of issues to be fair (due to the same reasons). But of course this is not an excuse and those responsible should be severely punished (which most likely won't happen :-/).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Most of Europe would have this kind if issues to be fair. But of course this is not an excuse and those responsible should be severely punished (which most likely won't happen :-/).

To be fair to what? the scum in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Absolute pond scum!

Bit harsh on Apple that they do pay some taxes.

To be fair to what? the scum in Ireland?

To be fair to Ireland. It is not accurate to say "Ireland is the ultimate safe haven for state sponsored sponges and utter scummy leeches of society!"

In terms of being a safe heaven for "state sponsored sponges and utter scummy leeches of society", plenty of European countries are as bad if not worse that Ireland.

But of course and as I said ... because other countries are accepting that crap doesn't mean Ireland should follow suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Scumbags terrorising any family like that - us Irish generally get on with the polish and other nationalities for the most part...

The "clickyness" of some areas/estates in Ireland of all places would surprise most outsiders...

It's Cork like bai, not 8 Mile in Detroit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

esforum wrote: »
    scum allright but what the **** is a blackguard? I would have said Blaggard myself :o

blackguard/ˈblaɡɑːd,-ɡəd/noun

a man who behaves in a dishonourable or contemptible way.

verb

abuse or disparage (someone) scurrilously.

pronounced "blaggard"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Of all the people to chose Ireland as a home I think the Polish have slotted in the easiest. I think we have some sort of affinity with the Polish that I can't explain but we seem to be two counties that get on really well.

This attack makes me feel ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Anyone who's found guilty of this sort of hate crime should, if in social housing, be evicted and barred from the estate. If the Gardai find them in the estate they should be locked up, preferably in the kiddie fiddler wing.

Anyone who's found guilty of this sort of hate crime should, if in social housing, be evicted and barred from the estate. If the Gardai find them in the estate they should be locked up, preferably in the kiddie fiddler wing.

Agreed, but this is just wishful thinking ... never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I live in a very multicultural area and would not tolerate that sort of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

100% wrong

Happens in every country though, including Poland, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

FTA69 wrote: »
    there is no doubt there's a rump of utter blackguards there set on tormenting anyone viewed as an outsider. It's also clear the notion of a foreign family being housed here particularly riled them up.

lots of Irish families suffer like this also, i dont think its anything different because the fact they are polish.

these people are just complete and utter w*ankers, they would pick on somebody else if the Polish werent there, it just happened to be them this time.

scum is the only word to call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Grayditch wrote: »
    Of all the people to chose Ireland as a home I think the Polish have slotted in the easiest. I think we have some sort of affinity with the Polish that I can't explain but we seem to be two counties that get on really well.

This attack makes me feel ill.

I think you are right there. They seem to have settled in very well. I'm quite surprised that they would be attacked like this though.
    I wonder if there is more to this story though. It seems a bit strange that they were attacked just because they were Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Now I'd like to jump on the racism wagon too, but are we sure they were attacked because they were Polish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

eezipc wrote: »
    I wonder if there is more to this story though. It seems a bit strange that they were attacked just because they were Polish.
    ^ this is exactly what came to mind when I read the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sounds like another bunch of useless layabouts with nothing better to do. Might have nothing to do with the nationality of the residents. Either way, all those tossers should be flogged on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Not 100% but being from the place in question and imagining the type involved it wouldn't at all surprise me if the fact the family were foreign was the catalyst. There's definitely a huge sentiment of xenophobia on the part of some people there I know that for a fact.

A Polish family landing in the middle of the estate would be like a red rag to a bull in the eyes of some of the c*nts who live there. It's a shame, because the majority of people who love there are decent and welcoming people who go out of the way to help each other despite the prevalence of social problems there.

lots of Irish families suffer like this also, i dont think its anything different because the fact they are polish.

these people are just complete and utter w*ankers, they would pick on somebody else if the Polish werent there, it just happened to be them this time.

scum is the only word to call them.

I wouldn't discard the possibility of them being targeted because they are Polish. But yes, the fact that they are Polish should neither trigger more nor less public outrage than if they were Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

They'll be fine once they leave mayfield, best to leave that sort to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

It seems his neighbors helped them.

I've my doubts it was because they where Polish. It could have been anything that set it off, I've seen the same thing happen to decent Irish families when one of the Kids stood up to the local youth scum... Similarly I've seen a not so decent family driven out and playing the poor mouth when the locals took exception to their drug dealing ways.

Feral youths, bleeding heart liberals and a soft touch justice system are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

biko wrote: »
    Now I'd like to jump on the racism wagon too, but are we sure they were attacked because they were Polish?

Seems like an isolated incident and likely alcohol was involved,
    Standard anti social behaviour in a housing estate unfortunately,

Wouldn't hand back the keys and make my family homeless over a single incident and I wouldn't jump up and scream race hate either

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Usually when this kind of stuff happens out of the blue it's because there has been a disagreement of some kind with someone in the family.

You're not exactly dealing with nice rational people, so whatever they can use to abuse you, they wil, including racists remarks.

There was a black woman on Anton Savage last week with a similar issue, racist graffiti on her door, smashed windows. Swears blind that there has been no feud or disagreement and it's all racism. But she has two children just entering their teens, which rings bells for me.

I'm not saying either case is definitely not racism, but if it suddenly appears out of the blue, it's rare that some local piece of scum has just decided to pick on that family for no reason.

Gatling wrote: »

Wouldn't hand back the keys and make my family homeless over a single incident and I wouldn't jump up and scream race hate either

I think that's easy to say when you are not in the situation and don't have the full story (who knows if there weren't other lower profile incident before with this one being an escalations).

If you had a group of people setting stuff on fire in front of your house and threatening you and you felt it was likely to happen again (possibly when only your kids or only your wife is at home), you would think twice.

Also, we don't know if it is the case there but an experience like this could traumatise children. Would you stay if your kids were telling you everyday they don't want to go out because they are afraid?

I don't think we remotely have enough information to judge whether their choice to leave was the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

eezipc wrote: »
    Mesrine65 wrote: »
    ^ this is exactly what came to mind when I read the article.

A dreadfully poor article from an otherwise good outlet.

Huge backstory missing.

Of course, by 'huge backstory' I don't mean something excusing the dreadful actions of the perpetrators. Because nothing would. Rather something that would explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That's a bizarre story which, as said above, is missing lots of things.

Advertisement