Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would/do you spend on clothes?

Options
  • 13-04-2016 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

€500 and €1000+ price tags on MrPorter got me thinking how much are people willing to spend on clothes, bar a decent winter jacket and maybe a pair of boots do many people pay €100+ on jeans, shirts, t-shirts etc?
    My last big purchase was a jacket for €100 that was over half price off..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My winter coat this year cost me €70, reduced from €180! Will probably last a few years too. I don't spend much on clothes really. Used to spend a lot more on clothes when I was younger. Lots of going out clothes for when I had a social life :o .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't have anything that cost more than fifty dollars. Well, apart from shoes, they'd nearly all be three figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Id love to be able too spend a lot more tbh.

Oh to win the lotto !

€200 a month would be a lot for me. That'd include include shoes etc. I try to get as much as I can on sale and I'm not too bothered about things being out of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I don't have anything that cost more than fifty dollars. Well, apart from shoes, they'd nearly all be three figures.

Shoes, mattress, and watch. Three items that we should spend money on because we spend the most time in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have one very good coat, one very good suit, and my shoes are all pretty good.

The rest are not too expensive though. Just casual clothes, and I always look scruffy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I doubt I'd even spend €200 a year on clothes for myself tbh. Money's very tight at the minute, so I've got to prioritise getting clothes for my little boy. Kids and their growth spurts!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I duno to be honest
    Not that much I think
    Once in a while I'll get a few mid range pieces that will last a little while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'll go mad and spend about $250 in one foul swoop, but then nothing for ages. And I'll get a fair bit for the money. Can't be doing with labels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'd say I spend maybe €500-€600 a year on clothes and shoes. I don't think that's a lot?

Most I'd spend on a single item is probably around €70 to €100 on a nice winter coat most years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Spend a fair bit on running clothes. :o

• Advertisement

I found old bank and credit card statements from about five years ago. It was like looking at the spending habits of a stranger. There were months where I spent 500e or more on clothes. In fact I spent that amount alone on a coat. 200e on my hair. 200e on a dress. 30e on a pair of tights. It was a different time for me.

These days I couldn't tell you. 50e one month. Nothing the next. 100e maybe after that. I still spend a bit on shoes and coats but it's not on a regular basis. The last time I bought a good coat was three years ago and it was 300e. My tights are now M&S rather than Wolford and my hair is 50e in the Natural Cut rather than Zeba.

Life changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Just spent €250 at M&M direct on

1 pair of sneakers
    2 pair of jeans
    2 coats
    2 pair of shorts
    3 long sleeve t shirts
    1 pair of trackies

And €110 at debenhams on

1 suit jacket
    1 pair of walking shoes
    1 pair of sunnies

Took a bit of a gamble on the M&M order as you have to pay for returns, but the prices were too good to pass up. Hopefully everything fits ok.

The debenhams order is much easier to return, just go,back to your nearest store.
    The suit jacket was like 70% off and the shoes were half price.

Only in March I had spent a similar amount at the same places on a new

tux
    Dress shirt
    3 pairs of shoes
    More shorts
    T shirts
    2 hoodies

I probably won't be buying anymore cloths this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I thought they only sold sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I thought they only sold sweets

Now they sell sweet cloths at sweet prices :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Spent 200 this year. My jacket finally gave up the ghost after ten years daily use and most of my boxers had holes where my balls swinging back and forth for years had rubbed grooves through. For the 200 I got a jacket, 10 pairs boxers, 12 pairs socks, smart runners and two nice hoodie type tops.

That's me sorted for the next ten years hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I was evaluating the whole situation and realised the reason I don't spend mad money on clothes is because I spend mad money on guitars!
    Everyone has their vice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Dunno how much I'd pay per item, usually 70 ish for a decent coat and the same for boots that'll last a few years.

In general, I don't spend much. Most of what I wear is from forever 21, Penneys and the odd bits from topshop and river island.

Spending a lot more than usual lately, just because I've been losing weight so keep needing to buy new clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Still feeling a little embarrassed about this one: a few months ago thought I'd like a Cafe Moto leather jacket. Within a month I had bought three Belstaff jackets at €1500 each. Needless to say, it's been bread and water since! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

The only things I'd spend more than 100 € on would be maybe a nice pair of boots or a coat. I like a bargain though so I usually try and get it cheaper by shopping around or waiting for sales. I probably spend 50-100 € a month on clothes and shoes on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

People seem to buy a lot of coats???? I bought a black peacoat about 10 years ago for €100, I've had to reattach a couple of buttons but it's still going strong.

I really only buy clothes when needed. Ebay is good for t-shirts and shorts. The gap shop is good for chinos/jeans - there's always a sale on whenever i go in.

Now that I think about it, I spend way more on work clothes than civies. . .how depressing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Less than 200 a year, maybe even less than 150. Will spend 50-100 on a pair of waterproof shoes every year or 2 as I walk everywhere but other than that I dont buy much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Coats are my vice too, but a good coat will last years and is deffo worth spending a bit of cash on. Good shoes too.

I tend to buy a few nice things rather than lots of "fast fashion".

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rhea Rose

Hard to say - it'd be less than 500 a year unless something pricey catches my eye. I really don't like 'shopping' - i.e. wandering around for a whole day trying things on, so I usually just end up seeing something nice every now and then and picking it up! I don't go in for labels/high fashion either, I just go by fit and how 'me' it is :). I hardly spent anything on clothes this year at all, but I just spent 200e on a fcuking haircut that's too short now (well that includes the dye&treatment which were fine, but still)... so, go figure. In my defence, I'd been quoted 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd spend 80 to 150 euro on a nice pair of jeans. Cheap jeans and trousers are usually badly cut and look unflattering.

Penneys cotton t shirts are great as t shirts rarely last very long anyway. Maybe 2 or 3 wears, I bought 10 and they will last me for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rhea Rose

theteal wrote: »
    People seem to buy a lot of coats???? I bought a black peacoat about 10 years ago for €100, I've had to reattach a couple of buttons but it's still going strong.

I don't. I'm a right weirdo. I've had the same 'winter coat' for about 5 years. It's in great shape because I never ****ing wear it!:pac: I just hate wearing heavy clothes. Layers FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Shoes, mattress, and watch. Three items that we should spend money on because we spend the most time in them.

That explains why women are so expensive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I could go out shopping and spend €200 on clothes every few months, but I'd only come out of it with a shirt or tshirt for myself. The rest is spent on my kids that refuse to stop getting bigger :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,323 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Honestly I've bought cheap and dear clothes and it all depends on whether I like something I might be willing to spend a little extra on.
    The one thing that never appealed to me was charity shops. I've never seen anything special in any of my local ones and I'm an idiot shape. So finding sizes can be a bit difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I spend an arm and a leg - which does explain why my trousers look so odd...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't spend too much, a suit is the only thing I bought this year so far. Had to buy it for a funeral, spent €600 on it. Normally wouldn't spend that much, but as morbid as it sounds, I'm getting to the age where I will be needing it, so got a decent one :(

Advertisement