Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stroke play competitions

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

@benny

Happened to me last Sunday. Was strokes in monthly medal and I didn't know. Somehow managed not to make anything out of it and treated it like any old round of golf. Had a 76 with one triple not too bad for first round with no placing in the rough (dropping). It's all in the head. The gold you need to play is still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Rikand wrote: »
    I hope it was a counting comp and you'll be posting an update in the handicap thread very soon ;)

In athlone I think we have about 6-8 strokeplay comps. Not enough for me, but you have to think of the majority of the members. Actually I think most of them would rather play off the reds and have preferred lies all year round

I wish it was as it would've made a serious dent in my handicap target for the year!

Unfortunately it'll be suspicious glances towards me around the club for the next little while...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

benny79 wrote: »
    I find as a high HCer (20) if its strokes and I know in advance Im mentally prepare, but if I rock out to the club without knowing I fall apart but learning to play better in them. Its just if you hit a ball and you think its ok till you get down and cant find it, so you have to run back to the tee, This totally ruins my mental state. Thankfully hasn't happened in a long time! :D

But I do find I concentrate more.
    I always try and play strokeplay even if in stableford competitions. Obviously if I'm taking too many to get to the green, I'll scratch but I never do my points until the end of the comp and focus on my actual score. It makes strokeplay competition an easy switch mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ah....... Always hit a provo if there is a chance you are lost...... especially if it's strokes

Totally agree but these are shots that you think are safe, like there's some trees on my course once you go in you will find your ball 9.5 times out of 10 :) or yoou see it bounce in rough but cant find it etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Boskowski wrote: »
    @benny

Happened to me last Sunday. Was strokes in monthly medal and I didn't know. Somehow managed not to make anything out of it and treated it like any old round of golf. Had a 76 with one triple not too bad for first round with no placing in the rough (dropping). It's all in the head. The gold you need to play is still the same.

Thats the problem my head holds me back big time even my pro tells me that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

benny79 wrote: »
    Totally agree but these are shots that you think are safe, like there's some trees on my course once you go in you will find your ball 9.5 times out of 10 :) or yoou see it bounce in rough but cant find it etc....
    If there is even the smallest element of doubt, always always play a provisional always, that is the purpose of playing a provisional, plus it saves fellas from looking like planks having to go back and play again from the last spot;):pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I can honestly say I've never walked back to the tee box. Would always play a provisional and on the very rare occasion, late in the round when I knew I couldn't make a score, I've just DQ'd myself rather than walk back to the tee. I've probably only done that twice in 20 years of competitive golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Senecio wrote: »
    I can honestly say I've never walked back to the tee box. Would always play a provisional and on the very rare occasion, late in the round when I knew I couldn't make a score, I've just DQ'd myself rather than walk back to the tee. I've probably only done that twice in 20 years of competitive golf.
    Nor I. It takes so little time to play a provisional shot and even if just to get your head right that you can actually hit the shot properly it's a benefit. Walking back to the tee box would feel too much like the walk of shame ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Can't understand the reluctance from some to play provisionals.
    It's a chance to hit an extra golf shot...is that not what we're in it for ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Nor I. It takes so little time to play a provisional shot and even if just to get your head right that you can actually hit the shot properly it's a benefit. Walking back to the tee box would feel too much like the walk of shame ;)

Walk?!?!

You don't walk, you have to run/jog - arriving back at your playing partners in a state of near collapse..............only ever done if a good score possible :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Strokes again yesterday.
    Bit quicker this week.
    3:35

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Strokes again yesterday! ruined my round with a 10 on the 18th:mad::o:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Strokes again yesterday! ruined my round with a 10 on the 18th:mad::o:mad:

I had a 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Played my first strokes comp of 2016 yesterday in April Medal. Had a +3 on 1st and a +4 on 3rd to effectively rule my chances of winning out. However I am really pleased that I held it together. I played next 13 holes in no worse than bogey. Finished with 2 doubles unfortunately but overall felt very happy with the round. Better than my playing partner who was probably 5 ahead of me after 3 but finished 8 back :)

Advertisement