Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut Thumb = €500,000

Options

Comments

screamer wrote: »
    Should she be driving at all one handed?

LOL!
    Are you suggesting disabled people shouldn't drive!!!!

They get all the best parking spaces..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

martyos121 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. She's a danger to other road users. That part of the settlement is baffling, she's in no state to operate a vehicle of any sort.
    Get the judge to double the money so she can get a tesla with self drive so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Surely half a mill can get some sort of cybernetic robot arm for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ScumLord wrote: »
    Get the judge to double the money so she can get a tesla with self drive so.

If that's an option (don't know much about those tbh) then yeah I'd have to agree. All I'm saying is I'd be nervous about a one-handed person on the roads even in a reliable automatic, for their own sake as much as anyone else's. What happens if the power steering cuts out?

A self-drive car would be fair in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

dunno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

More and more of these cases with ridiculously large payouts seem to be happening, the cynic in me thinks that the justice system stands to make some healthy profits out of them.... :pac:

If that's an option (don't know much about those tbh) then yeah I'd have to agree. All I'm saying is I'd be nervous about a one-handed person on the roads even in a reliable automatic, for their own sake as much as anyone else's. What happens if the power steering cuts out?
    How often does that actually happen? I've never really even heard of it happening. Cars for one handed people are adapted with one of those noobs on the steering wheel like you have on a forklift. It makes using a wheel one handed easier. she can probably still operate indicator switches with her injured hand so she should have no problems driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You could take both my thumbs off with a chisel for that kind of money

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ScumLord wrote: »
    How often does that actually happen? I've never really even heard of it happening. Cars for one handed people are adapted with one of those noobs on the steering wheel like you have on a forklift. It makes using a wheel one handed easier. she can probably still operate indicator switches with her injured hand so she should have no problems driving.

It does happen unfortunately, someone I know was very lucky to escape without injury when it happened to them, they reacted well to the situation and were fortunate the road was quiet and mostly straight.

If there's a safe way for her to take to the roads, then I'm all for it, I was merely objecting to the fact that it was assumed she'd be driving a regular automatic car, which is unsafe IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Heres the Injuries Board guidance for hand injuries
    http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/How-to-make-a-claim/Estimate-your-claim/

€108,000 to €142,000 – loss of one hand (below elbow amputation)
    €136,000 to €192,000 – loss of both hands (below elbow amputation)
    Up to €26,200 – Minor soft tissue injury to hand - good recovery
    €15,500 to €70,100 – Moderate soft tissue injury to hand – significant ongoing condition
    €26,000 to €88,600 – Severe soft tissue injury to hand (serious and permanent condition)
    €13,200 to €22,000 – Minor hand fracture - good recovery
    €20,200 to €67,500 – Moderate hand fracture – significant ongoing condition
    €60,500 to €86,600 – Severe hand fracture (serious and permanent condition)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

My grandfather chopped his thumb off 3 times (was sewn back on twice and it was lost the 3rd time) and whatever way he hit it the last time, it really effected the nerves or tendons in his hand, really could not use his hand at all.
    He learnt to cope with it of course but really impacted him.
    I can understand the pay out - partly if its a "make an example" case and if she had been unable to work for 9yrs.

If there's a safe way for her to take to the roads, then I'm all for it, I was merely objecting to the fact that it was assumed she'd be driving a regular automatic car, which is unsafe IMO.
    It would be unsafe, if the injury is as bad as the court says then she needs a special car. I got a lift off a guy years ago who's left arm was in a cast. He'd have to take his hand off the wheel and reach across himself to change gear. It was scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

failinis wrote: »
    My grandfather chopped his thumb off 3 times (was sewn back on twice and it was lost the 3rd time) and whatever way he hit it the last time, it really effected the nerves or tendons in his hand, really could not use his hand at all.
    He learnt to cope with it of course but really impacted him.
    I can understand the pay out - partly if its a "make an example" case and if she had been unable to work for 9yrs.

I have to ask...

How did he manage to chop off his thumb three times?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have to ask...

Because the other guy kept saying "its just a prank bro"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I have to ask...

He chopped kindle/tinder for fires to sell in small local shops.
    I think the 1st and 2nd were an axe and the 3rd was a circular saw.

Granda had my father and my 4 brothers chopping wood the odd weekend to help him out
    Every single one of them have hit their thumb with an axe at least once (my dad's was hanging on with the skin when we had to rush him to hospital) :eek:

You could say its a family tradition actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Like the infamous McDonald's coffe burn case, this is another one that really needs to be read further than the headline.

Given everything, it was just. Losing practically all use of a hand over something like this can indeed compromise your life. I also say that the Hotel in question was too cheap to replace the jugs, even after repeated complaints because profits. Sometimes, you have to make an example of someone in order to scare everyone else into action.

It does seem on the high side, but if she needs home help clearly it's a very serious injury that has had a disastrous affect on her life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

:block; width:540px; height:250px" tabindex="1" dir="ltr">

Why not? She's not blind. She can drive a left or right hand auto. Left would be harder if the shift is centre console but doable. Lots of automatics now have touch button dashboard shifts. Also plenty of people drive with a broken arm. I don't think you are banned once you are handicapped whether temporarily or permanently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Gatling wrote: »
    See someone else gets the car thing

No....you said it was odd that she needed an automatic when in Ireland her "good" hand would be the one changing gears. She needs an automatic because her good hand has to steer, not be taken off the wheel to change gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Crazy amount of money in fairness. Really odd as I'm usually arguing the other side on these.

Who are you and what have you done with After Hours. I can only assume the Judge though a measure of punative damages was appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Why not if it's automatic?

I would rather my hand worked perfectly than 500,000 euro so I'm glad she got that compensation, its not enough if you ask me, her employers were in the wrong, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While it's clear the woman was negatively impacted by her injury and there was negligence on the part of her employers I just think €500,000 is a bit excessive.

She certainly does deserve some form of payout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,867 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She '' claims'' to have loss of power in that hand.
    Its usually not the case in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

How many have you seen dr ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Lucky it happened to her while in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Abolutely ludicrous level of an award. No wonder all my insurance premiums are going through the roof.

Here are extracts from the PIAB Book of Quantum. Bear in mind that the plaintiff suffered injury to one hand, and some loss of function. but how the judge came up with that figure......... ?

Source: http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/Forms-Guidelines/Book-of-Quantum.pdf

Loss of both arms €141,000 to €197,000
    Loss of both hands (below elbow amputation) €136,000 to €192,000
    Loss of one arm above elbow €111,000 to €145,000
    Loss of one hand (below elbow amputation) €108,000 to €142,000
    Loss of Thumb €33,900 to €80,800
    Loss of Ring, Index or Middle Finger(s) €28,800 to €69,300
    Loss of Little Finger(s) €28,800 to €50,400

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know if it's the same but I injured my leg about a year and a half ago. I lost all the power in my foot for a few months before it slowly started coming back (luckily the injury was only temporary). They were able to run tests and tell me roughly how much power I had lost. There would be no way to fake the tests I had so if I wouldn't be too surprised if they could confirm roughly how much power she had lost.

You'd think the insurance company's own well paid team of medical experts would have spotted that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I think you can get a bionic arm for €9000 so wouldn't that sort everything out?

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »
    Abolutely ludicrous level of an award. No wonder all my insurance premiums are going through the roof.

Here are extracts from the PIAB Book of Quantum. Bear in mind that the plaintiff suffered injury to one hand, and some loss of function. but how the judge came up with that figure......... ?

Source: http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/Forms-Guidelines/Book-of-Quantum.pdf

Loss of both arms €141,000 to €197,000
    Loss of both hands (below elbow amputation) €136,000 to €192,000
    Loss of one arm above elbow €111,000 to €145,000
    Loss of one hand (below elbow amputation) €108,000 to €142,000
    Loss of Thumb €33,900 to €80,800
    Loss of Ring, Index or Middle Finger(s) €28,800 to €69,300
    Loss of Little Finger(s) €28,800 to €50,400

I'd assume the settlement this woman got includes punitive damages, since her employers were aware of a problem and this wouldn't have happened if they'd acted.

That would be why her award is more than just the price of her losing most of the use of her hand, I imagine.

Advertisement