Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howard Marks is dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/10/howard-marks-dies-aged-70

Saw him on the Late Late once with Ryan. Came across as an absolute gent.

RIP

A gentleman drug dealer you say. Sure aren't they all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

BattleCorp wrote: »

Coz drugs are bad mmm'kay

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He came from a time before the violence arrived into the game

RIP a life well lived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

An amiable chancer with a grubby entourage - the bio about him with Rhys Ifans is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

An amiable chancer with a grubby entourage - the bio about him with Rhys Ifans is quite good.
    Read the book if you get a chance, it's even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well if that's not an excuse to spark up a spliff I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

You'd be surprised....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ianal3

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Michaella McCollum of his time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Except he was good at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

It's sad that a person who was a common criminal and helped low life scum to make millions from his actions has their life celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd consider it sadder that a guy who was clearly a talented businessman was imprisoned in a maximum security prison for 6 years for distributing marijuana.

He seemed to be a very genial, live and let live sort to me and the book was a cracking read. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was stuck in hospital and the night before surgery I was given his book to read. Flew through it I found it an absolutely entertaining read on the life he lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

Schwiiing wrote: »
    It's sad that a person who was a common criminal and helped low life scum to make millions from his actions has their life celebrated.

Howard Marks was an incredibly well educated, well mannered, gentleman. He dealt in cannabis and marijuana only. I.E class C. Never dealt class A drugs.

He had a brilliant sense of humour and was a bit of a rogue.

He lived an incredibly interesting life and wasn't involved in violent activity at all.

Why don't you do some research before speaking ill of the dead. Your comment says more about you than it does about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

He came from a time before the violence arrived into the game

RIP a life well lived

I read one of his books and felt that an awful lot of stuff was being left out to make him appear a lot nicer than he was likely to have been (does it skip large chunks of time? been ages since I read it)

Curious to see what will come out once he dies, I am betting there was still a decent bit of violence back then its just that today the violence is on a level comparable to civil war.

The best drug dealers are the ones you never learn the name of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Howard Marks was an incredibly well educated, well mannered, gentleman. He dealt in cannabis and marijuana only. I.E class C. Never dealt class A drugs.

He had a brilliant sense of humour and was a bit of a rogue.

He lived an incredibly interesting life and wasn't involved in violent activity at all.

Why don't you do some research before speaking ill of the dead. Your comment says more about you than it does about him.

Before you decide to award a Sainthood to Mr. Marks, he was still a drug dealer on an epic scale no matter what you think of cannabis and marijuana. I'm fairly sure he would have supplied some "not so nice" people with drugs for them to sell on.

You say he wasn't involved in violent activity at all. Did he smuggle guns for RA at one time? I'm not sure on this one but I think I read about it somewhere ages ago.

And as for the well educated part, some of our illustrious criminals are well educated, no great claim to fame there. I think the man of the moment Mr. Kinihan has three different degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Before you decide to award a Sainthood to Mr. Marks, he was still a drug dealer on an epic scale no matter what you think of cannabis and marijuana.
    Drug laws are stupid, the fact he brought enlightenment to the masses doesn't take anything away from him.
    You say he wasn't involved in violent activity at all. Did he smuggle guns for RA at one time? I'm not sure on this one but I think I read about it somewhere ages ago.
    He sold drugs to the IRA. Don't think he had anything to do with guns.

Tarring him with the same brush as todays organised criminal gangs just won't stick. It just highlights the effects of the law coming down harder on drugs runners/dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

ScumLord wrote: »
    Drug laws are stupid, the fact he brought enlightenment to the masses doesn't take anything away from him.

He sold drugs to the IRA. Don't think he had anything to do with guns.

Tarring him with the same brush as todays organised criminal gangs just won't stick. It just highlights the effects of the law coming down harder on drugs runners/dealers.

He never sold drugs to the IRA, he used one of there smuggling contacts to bring hash into Ireland and then into wales,but that stopped after james mc cann (the smuggler) was afraid the Provos would find out he dealing drugs and kill him, so that stopped,imo he was an organised criminal just like any of the others then and now,he didn't get to the top of the tree by not standing or having people stand on others for him to get there.

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6_-bE44bMAhXI0hoKHfXnBrUQFgghMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHoward_Marks&usg=AFQjCNE6mv07haYoBU0Et_AlkJuiBuTHaQ&sig2=l4FWN8BoD_Nd9GhJxu7qQQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057368457

Another thread here started last year ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

He does come across as a true, well-educated gentleman. His book was fascinating.

Somehow I don’t believe that he didn’t use violence. When you make that much money in the drug game, people want in. I find it hard to believe that nobody tried to rob him or rip him off. The drug game is rife with violence so I find it strange that this guy somehow managed to go his whole life without any use of force and was never targeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

He never got over the fall of the USSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

AnonoBoy wrote: »

She got caught first time out with Class A. Howard Mark was slightly more successful.

Not defending what he did, he sounded like a character and may he rest in peace.

. Post-prison, he took heroin, "to maintain my credibility as drug expert [cackles]. But the trouble with heroin is that the dose to get high is so close to the dose that kills you." He has no time for ketamine but blames himself: like cocaine, he merely took an enormous line.
    "So I was unable to move," he smiles. "One of my kids said: 'Dad, you're nuts, you only take a little bit on a credit card every 20 minutes.'"

Your children are giving you drugs lessons?

"Sure! Well, they know. We shouldn't worry about giving kids wrong messages, we should listen to them."

Nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    She got caught first time out with Class A. Howard Mark was slightly more successful.

First time that you know about!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

My dad told me that "Mark Hughes" had died this morning, in my sleepiness I said "Howard Hughes?". We ended up splitting the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

bubblypop wrote: »

Exclusive! Broke ex-wife sells story to Daily Mail.

It's a bit hard to give her version of events much credence when she stayed with him throughout the good times when the money was rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Met him a few years ago at a place I worked......for such a supposedly interesting guy he was very boring...and his stage show/talk was one of the worst things iv seen. Could hardly understand a word he was saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭niallb

Scroobius Pip interviewed him at home last year while he was dealing with cancer.
    Howard Marks - Distraction Pieces Podcast with Scroobius Pip #33

RIP Mr Nice.

Advertisement