Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking your way around Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    It is. Did someone say it wasn't?

Lofty 's list said "not yet" for Limerick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think he means he hasn't had any beer from Limerick. Limerick City Brewery is also real, AFAIK.
    Edit: Actually meant Treaty City, not Limerick City.

I think he means he hasn't had any beer from Limerick. Limerick City Brewery is also real, AFAIK.

Duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Shame on brewers not disclosing where their beer is brewed. Obviously a few misled customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Or maybe a bit more...

Brewed at Hilden, so Co. Antrim.

Mostly brewed in Dublin; the pale ale is the only Cork one, I think, brewed at Black's.

Unless it was the lager because that's brewed in Tipperary by C&C.

Mostly from Reel Deel in Mayo these days; was Black's in Kinsale before that.

As mentioned above, Boyne Brewhouse is in Meath.

So long as it was pre-2014 :pac:

Eh? Where'd you pull that from? Anyway: no. Brewed in Dublin these days, was from England before that.

Brewed in Kildare at Trouble.

To take up your points.....

Clanconnell say they are brewed in Armagh, wherever that is and Boyne are maybe a field or two away from Louth. Could have been a bastard and said MacArdles. I thought Blackstairs had their own set up running since last year. I live across the road from Five Lamps

Stonebarrel comes up when you lash in Brewery and Westmeath into that Google yoke :)

Next thing you'll be telling me that there's more than barley, hops and yeast going into beer ;)

• Advertisement

Clanconnell say they are brewed in Armagh
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I just checked mine, and I've a load left to go!
    Does N17 count for Mayo?

Carlow - O'Hara's
    Cork - 8 Degrees
    Donegal - Kinnegar
    Dublin - Rascal's
    Galway - Galway Bay
    Kildare - Trouble Brewing
    Longford - St. Mel's
    Louth - Jack Cody's
    Mayo - N17
    Meath - Brú
    Roscommon - Black Donkey
    Sligo - White Hag
    Tyrone - Pokertree
    Waterford - Metalman
    Wexford - Drew Fox
    Wicklow - O Brother

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

fjon wrote: »
    I just checked mine, and I've a load left to go!
    Does N17 count for Mayo?

Brewed at Blacks in Cork. (I think)

irish_goat wrote: »
    Brewed at Blacks in Cork. (I think)

Ok, thought it was Reel Deel.

Frynge wrote: »
    First person to post photos proving their accomplishment wins a cushion.

Obviously you need a photo of yourself holding up a bottle/ can in front of the "Welcome to County x" sign to qualify for the cushion.:p

• Advertisement

fjon wrote: »
    Ok, thought it was Reel Deel.
    Yes, it's been Reel Deel since last year, so it does count for Mayo if you drank it at all recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭okatied

A good Limerick beer is Harris Pale Ale by Treaty City Brewing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ollaetta

nestegg wrote: »
    Western Herd brew in Kilmaley and have a brew pub in Ennis where the long suffering Clare man can finally happily wet his whistle with glorious hops.

I often think the lads behind the Biddy Early Brewery in Inagh must be kicking themselves. Well ahead of the posse a decade or more ago they just couldn't make it last long term.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ollaetta wrote: »
    I often think the lads behind the Biddy Early Brewery in Inagh must be kicking themselves. Well ahead of the posse a decade or more ago they just couldn't make it last long term.

Probably the first craft beer I ever had in Ireland. I remember buying a case of their beer when I was down there, it was pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Link?

I'm only going by the fact that their bottles and social media have on a postal address that clearly makes out that they are based in Armagh. By all means feel free to say that such and such is brewed elsewhere but don't shoot us just cos we are told one thing by the brewer when something else is the case. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

I'm only going by the fact that their bottles and social media have on a postal address that clearly makes out that they are based in Armagh. By all means feel free to say that such and such is brewed elsewhere but don't shoot us just cos we are told one thing by the brewer when something else is the case. :)

McGargles labels claim they were 'never established' ... except that time they were established in 2013. Don't believe everything on beer labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Radik Ale
    Mostly brewed in Dublin; the pale ale is the only Cork one, I think, brewed at Black's.

All Cork actually, or at least was all Cork. He's in the process of financing his own brewery at the moment.

CR 7 wrote: »
    All Cork actually, or at least was all Cork. He's in the process of financing his own brewery at the moment.

Nope, some was brewed in brewworks in Dublin (if that's the name of the brewery for hire - can't find anything online).
    The rest was Black's and 9 white deer.

Fundraising starts tomorrow.

Nope, some was brewed in brewworks in Dublin (if that's the name of the brewery for hire - can't find anything online).
    The rest was Black's and 9 white deer.
    Craftworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Just an update on this old thread.
    12 Acres brewery opened in August last year so that's another one to tick off the initial list.

I've had a few pints of it in Carlow over Christmas and it's very good. I then finally tried the Smithwicks Pale on draught and was disappointed as it seemed pretty bland in comparison, but maybe I just had it in the wrong pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cashback wrote: »
    J I then finally tried the Smithwicks Pale on draught and was disappointed as it seemed pretty bland in comparison, but maybe I just had it in the wrong pub.

nope - it is bland, like all Smithwicks products.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

cashback wrote: »
    . I then finally tried the Smithwicks Pale on draught and was disappointed as it seemed pretty bland in comparison, but maybe I just had it in the wrong pub.

It's a great introduction to pale ales, it was the one I started with. But once you start drinking 8 degrees' stuff it's pretty bland. Whatever you are used to.

Back on topic: Western Herd's Blue Jumper IPA and their Fox Catcher Red Ale from Clare are excellent beers! I had a bottle of FC over Christmas and loved it, even though red ales can be hit and miss.This was a nice fruity one.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Antrim

Hillstown
    Glens of Antrim
    Lacada
    Barra Hooley

are the ones I have tried out in North Antrim.

There is also Hilden and others in Belfast area but I think most are on the Down side.

If anyone knows of others in Antrim then let me know :)

With the thread having come back to life, an update.

From 28 counties previously, now 30 counties have working breweries. 12 Acres is brewing in Laois so if you've had their beer in recent months, including any of them that isn't the Pale Ale, that counts. And Sullivan's makes Birchfield barley wine on their unlicensed pilot kit, so that counts for Kilkenny, though the main Sullivan's red doesn't as it's brewed in Meath at Boyne. Westmeath and Armagh still lack breweries, AFAIK.

And I've had beer from all 30 :cool:

Antrim - Hilden
    Carlow - O'Hara's
    Cavan - Ó Cléirigh
    Clare - Western Herd
    Cork - Eight Degrees
    Derry - Northbound
    Donegal - Kinnegar
    Down - Farmageddon
    Dublin - Rascal's
    Fermanagh - Inishmacsaint
    Galway - Galway Hooker
    Kerry - Torc
    Kildare - Trouble
    Kilkenny - Sullivan's
    Laois - 12 Acres
    Leitrim - Carrig
    Limerick - JJ's
    Longford - St. Mel's
    Louth - Jack Cody's
    Mayo - Mescan
    Meath - Brú
    Monaghan - Brehon
    Offaly - Bo Bristle
    Roscommon - Black Donkey
    Sligo - White Hag
    Tipperary - White Gypsy
    Tyrone - Red Hand
    Waterford - Metalman
    Wexford - YellowBelly
    Wicklow - O Brother

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Armagh at least has cider being made, Westmeath would need to get its act together.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Westmeath would need to get its act together.
    Funnily enough that's written on the big signs as you drive into the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Did better than I expected.

From the 30 breweries on Beernut's updated list, I got 24 and am missing Cavan, Fermanagh, Kilkenny, Limerick, Tipperary and Tyrone*.

*I've had Pokertree if that counts as a Tyrone brewery?

Belated 2017 resolution accepted. :pac:

Pokertree is indeed in Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Aglomerado wrote: »

Back on topic: Western Herd's Blue Jumper IPA and their Fox Catcher Red Ale from Clare are excellent beers! I had a bottle of FC over Christmas and loved it, even though red ales can be hit and miss.This was a nice fruity one.

I picked up a rake of these yesterday in the Gala in Sixmilebridge. They're going for €1 a pop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement