Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google to bid for Yahoo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

It's not that big - the Pfizer deal that fell through this week would have been 5 times bigger.

And if you take away the one successful part of their company - Yahoo Japan - and the 15% of Alibaba they own, then the rest of the company is worth next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

GooHoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Ex Google employee comes in, ruins place over a few years, Google swoops in for the carcass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Ex Google employee comes in, ruins place over a few years, Google swoops in for the carcass.

I think it was ruined before she got there , but hey let's not let the facts get in the way .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd prob outbid google and buy yahoo and then sell it to google for a profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Iirc yahoo had the option to buy Google for $1m years ago and didn't

Sickner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Who actually uses Yahoo in 2016?...Apart from anyone still using a windows 95 machine and dial up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Does this mean we can make our own websites on geocities again?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,158 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Who actually uses Yahoo in 2016?...Apart from anyone still using a windows 95 machine and dial up?

Well they have Flickr and tumbler, yahoo new and finance is handy sometimes.

I use yahoomail for one of my email addresses because it existed before gmail, I'd say they have a lot of users using their services... not sure if they make much money per user.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I use Tumblr for some good 'ol NSFW content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Tumblr is actually still a huge website, if google have some kind of idea for how to make use of that, (I believe Yahoo currently have it marked down as worthless due to their inability to monetise it) that alone could make a deal worthwhile.
    I could see google trying to turn Yahoo's more media-ish parts into some kind of Google-affiliated media service without having to put the google name on it (something seems weird about the idea of "Google News" not being an aggregator, but they could find ways to lead you towards yahoo)

It does sound like the kind of thing where the mess of dealing with it could just wind up dragging down other parts of the company though.
    marienbad wrote: »
    I think it was ruined before she got there , but hey let's not let the facts get in the way .
    She could've been a good hire 2-3 years earlier, it's hard to say, she definitely didn't do a good job but Yahoo's complete inability to do anything on mobile by 2012 was very much the end of them. really, they had plenty of tools to get something solid off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

What happens to yahoo finance when Google buy yahoo, because google finance leaves a little to be desired

• Registered Users Posts: 18,538 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was in China recently and Google is banned, used Yahoo a few times and it was an awful experience. It's like they haven't updated the search capability since 1995

Why is Google banned in China? But not Yahoo ..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Actually Yahoo showed growth for the first two years after she took over, share prices improved as well as she instilled much confidence in the shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Me, I've a Yahoo Mail account from about 1998 that's still my main email address

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does Yahoo own Eurosport or just the website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Birneybau wrote: »
    GooHoo!

Yahoogle.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I use Flickr for the photos, you have to set up a yahoo account to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Birneybau wrote: »
    GooHoo!
    Xaracatz wrote: »
    Yahoogle.

This is what AH should always be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Does Yahoo own Eurosport or just the website?

Discovery Channel owns Eurosport. I think.

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Yahoogle.

YAHOOOOOOOgle actually has a good ring to it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

YAHOOOOOOOgle actually has a good ring to it!
    that's the noise a yodler makes when they start to choke mid yodle.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    that's the noise a yodler makes when they start to choke mid yodle.

Ha. Brilliant.

Or when someone else throttles them mid-yodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

YaWho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Google are only taking an interest because Verizon are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I do, I use Google Chrome as my main internet browser, and Google as my search engine. Never had any problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,889 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yahoogle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Gooyah ....pronounced like yeehah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or look at Ex Microsoft employee in Nokia.

anyway , Yahoo isn't what they are bidding for. It's assets are far more valuable than the core business.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysomaney/2016/03/06/yahoo-is-under-valued-even-if-core-yahoo-is-worth-zero

Yahoo is valued at about $32Bn mainly because Yahoo owns 15% of Alibaba

BTW: at the start of last year the Alibaba shares Yahoo owned were worth $42Bn. So they missed out on a chance to do a Bebo

Advertisement