Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on study i'm gonna fail

Options
  • 07-04-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I don't know how to study, especially not for like 11 subjects. The junior cert is apparently in 8 weeks and im lost. On the mocks I got 3 d's, 4 c's, 3 b's, and one a(cspe lol). I left the study for basically the night before, and I resorted to using the studyclix threads to help. I probably wouldn't have even passed irish, maths or french without it. They tell us to make a study time table but I can't understand how you can make a time table with 10 subjects( minus cspe) and fit it into a time table within 8 weeks. Can someone explain this to me, or has someone got one they made for themselves that I can see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I don't know how to study, especially not for like 11 subjects. The junior cert is apparently in 8 weeks and im lost. On the mocks I got 3 d's, 4 c's, 3 b's, and one a(cspe lol). I left the study for basically the night before, and I resorted to using the studyclix threads to help. I probably wouldn't have even passed irish, maths or french without it. They tell us to make a study time table but I can't understand how you can make a time table with 10 subjects( minus cspe) and fit it into a time table within 8 weeks. Can someone explain this to me, or has someone got one they made for themselves that I can see.

Did you see my threads on studyclix for Irish? Just curious there since you said "passed Irish" and "studyclix". Cause you can make a time table within 8 weeks! I have manually made timetables for people on studyclix previously and they said that they have worked for them and they feel very grateful for me doing so. If you want me to do such a task, I need to know all your subjects (with levels also!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irishpisces123

I am on studyclix but I haven't seen your posts. If you have time could you help me. I do higher level everything. I find french, maths, irish the hardest. homec, english, science are more weak ones. I don't find any subjects easy( well bar religion and cspe which barely count)
    Here's a list of my subjects they are all higher level .
    English, irish, maths, french, homec, history, geography, science, religion and cspe

I am on studyclix but I haven't seen your posts. If you have time could you help me. I do higher level everything. I find french, maths, irish the hardest. homec, english, science are more weak ones. I don't find any subjects easy( well bar religion and cspe which barely count)
    Here's a list of my subjects they are all higher level .
    English, irish, maths, french, homec, history, geography, science, religion and cspe

I will do you up a timetable tomorrow. For Irish, I have plenty of different threads here on studyclix

https://studyclix.ie/Discuss/Junior-Cert-Irish/random-vocabulary - Random Vocabulary - I post new words daily and then you learn them off by heart and test yourself - building up your vocabulary as you go along!

https://studyclix.ie/Discuss/Junior-Cert-Irish/irish-grammar-lessons - Irish Grammar Lessons - A thread designed to help you get more accurate Irish grammar - I post daily lessons and I hope this makes your Irish more accurate!

https://studyclix.ie/Discuss/Junior-Cert-Irish/irish-phrases - Irish Phrases - A thread full of Irish phrases that you can use in scéalta, aistí, litreacha etc.

https://studyclix.ie/Discuss/Junior-Cert-Irish/hl-tips-from-sryan-bruen - HL Tips - A thread filled with tips on how to get the highest mark possible in HL Irish and make each section easier for you!

https://studyclix.ie/Discuss/Junior-Cert-Irish/aist-agus-litreacha-ar-f-il - Aistí, scéalta agus litreacha ar fáil - Letters, stories and essays that are available I post the titles here and you ask me for them - if they have not been posted!

^ As you can see, I have a lot of threads on Irish!

Whoa! Thanks, this and the timetable will help me so much. Are you a real teacher? Had to ask you must be

Whoa! Thanks, this and the timetable will help me so much. Are you a real teacher? Had to ask you must be

No, I'm a student haha, I just have a huge IQ - I know I would be shocked too. Like because of this huge IQ, some teachers in the past let me have some experience and teach the class - and so I did!

• Advertisement

Wow that's pretty impressive. And I think its really great that you're helping people as well.

Is Religion an examination subject in your school?

Yeah it is, only up to junior cert and it's one of the less important ones on the same level as cspe haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Everyone thinks CSPE is a joke, but only one in five manage to get an A in it, only 13% manage it in Religion.

spurious wrote: »
    Everyone thinks CSPE is a joke, but only one in five manage to get an A in it, only 13% manage it in Religion.

It is a joke. In my mock I got 89%, imagine Junior Cert haha.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All I'm saying is there are a lot of people who count chickens before they are hatched, especially CSPE shaped chickens.

Was your project included in your mock?

All I'm saying is there are a lot of people who count chickens before they are hatched, especially CSPE shaped chickens.

Was your project included in your mock?

Yes.

Saturday 9 April

English - Learn the layout of an informal letter (practice an exam question by doing so)
    Maths - Learn the 4 types of Factorising (remember you have to memorise each type)

Sunday 10 April

French - Learn a vocabulary topic list (so like Numbers, Buildings, Facilities etc) and then test yourself on it!
    Science - Learn Genetics (get it done and over with since it's very easy)
    Geography - Learn Karst Landscapes

Monday 11 April

English - Learn the layout of a formal letter and the different types (practice an exam question by doing so)

Tuesday 12 April

Irish - Learn your studied poetry (Translate it fully into English and then translate it back into Irish (by testing yourself!!) (Practice an exam question after)

Wednesday 13 April

Geography - Learn an example of Mass Movement (you only have to know ONE for long questions but for short questions, make sure you know all)

Thursday 14 April

French - Learn another vocabulary topic list (then test yourself!)

Friday 15 April

History - Learn Ancient Ireland (by practicing exam questions!!)

Saturday 16 April

Maths - Learn Sets (practice exam questions!!! after studying things such as the types of sets)
    Science - Learn Cells and the Microscope (practice exam questions... even OL will help even though you do HL)
    Geography - Learn Freeze-Thaw action

Sunday 17 April

Irish - Learn your studied prose (do the exact same as the studied poetry)
    Geography - Learn an example of Coastal Erosion

Monday 18 April

French - Learn another vocabulary topic list (then test yourself)

Tuesday 19 April

History - Learn an ancient civilisation you have studied (practice exam questions on it)

Wednesday 20 April

Science - Learn Ecology (practice exam questions)

Thursday 21 April

Maths - Learn Perimeter, Area and Volume (practice exam questions)

Friday 22 April

Irish - Learn phrases for your scéal / aiste by practicing an exam question
    Maths - Learn Indices

Saturday 23 April

Geography - Learn an example of River Erosion
    History - Learn The Middle Ages

Sunday 24 April

Maths - Learn Transformation Geometry & Constructions
    Science - Learn The Circulatory System

Monday 25 April

Home Economics - Learn Consumer Studies (so like what makes a good consumer etc)

Tuesday 26 April

French - Learn another vocabulary topic list (then test yourself)

Wednesday 27 April

Irish - Learn phrases for the litir

Thursday 28 April

English - Learn the layout of a Speech and an Essay

Friday 29 April

Geography - Learn an example of River Deposition

Saturday 30 April

History - Learn The Renaissance

Sunday 1 May

Science - Learn Photosynthesis & Plant Responses

Monday 2 May

Have a break since it's a bank holiday ;)

Tuesday 3 May

French - Learn another vocabulary topic list (then test yourself!!)

Wednesday 4 May

Home Economics - Learn advertising

Thursday 5 May

Geography - Learn an example of Coastal Deposition

Friday 6 May

History - Learn The Reformation
    Science - Learn Excretion

Saturday 7 May

Irish - Learn all the tenses (inc. the Conditional Mood!!)
    Geography - Learn how a Cold and Warm Front form and the Demographic Transitional Model

Sunday 8 May

English - Learn your studied novel / short story
    History - Learn the Age of Exploration & Discovery
    Science - Learn The Sensory System

Monday 9 May

Home Economics - Learn Household Technology & Appliances
    Geography - Learn how Volcanoes form and their types as well as features of a volcano

Tuesday 10 May

History - Learn Plantations in Ireland

Wednesday 11 May

Science - Learn The Reproductive System
    English - Learn your studied poetry

Thursday 12 May

Geography - Learn how Earthquakes take place, features of them and how they're measured
    Irish - Learn Prepositions

Friday 13 May

Home Economics - Learn Health & Diet
    History - Learn The American Revolution

Saturday 14 May

Science - Learn Plant Reproduction & the Structure of a Plant
    English - Learn methods the media use (like colour, slogans etc)
    Geography - Learn how Fold Mountains form and examples of some

Sunday 15 May

Geography - Learn two weather instruments in detail (like how they're used, how they record their weather element etc)
    History - Learn the French Revolution & a person who took part in a revolution (Wolfe Tone or George Washington)
    Science - Learn The Breathing System (Respiration) & The Digestive System (Enzymes etc)

Monday 16 May

Home Economics - Learn Home Hygiene
    History - Learn the Irish Rebellion of 1798
    French - Learn another vocabulary topic list (then test yourself!!!)

Tuesday 17 May

Irish - Learn The Genitive Case
    Science - Learn Food & The Atom
    Geography - Learn each type of rainfall (Relief, Convectional and Cyclonic)

Wednesday 18 May

History - Learn the Industrial Revolution & inventions from the Agricultural Revolution
    Home Economics - Learn Human Reproduction

Thursday 19 May

Science - Learn Microbiology & Biotechnology and Acids & Bases
    Geography - Learn one of each type of climate (so one cold climate, one warm climate, one temperate climate) in detail
    History - Learn The Great Famine & Life in Urban Britain
    Maths - Learn Algebra (excluding Factorising)

Friday 20 May

Home Economics - Learn Family Planning
    Irish - Learn the Possessive Adjective
    Science - Learn Electronics

Saturday 21 May

Science - Learn The Atmosphere
    Geography - Learn Global Warming & Desertification (so like results, solutions, causes etc)
    History - Learn the Home Rule Crisis & 1916 Easter Rising

Sunday 22 May

Home Economics - Learn Textiles, Fabric, Needlework
    Irish - Learn Numbers
    History - Learn the Irish War of Independence & Civil War
    Geography - Learn two types of Irish soils (Podzol, Brown Earth, Peaty or Gley)

Monday 23 May

Geography - Learn the Water Cycle (useful in Science and CSPE also)
    History - Learn Cumann na nGaedhael and Fianna Fáil in Power
    Science - Learn Chemical Bonding & Metals and Non-Metals
    Maths - Learn Geometry (excluding Coordinate Geometry & Transformation Geometry)

Tuesday 24 May

Home Economics - Learn Money & Finances
    History - Learn Northern Ireland (1920-2000)
    Science - Learn Solutions & Crystallisations
    Maths - Learn Trigonometry

Wednesday 25 May

Science - Learn Separating Mixtures
    Geography - Learn Isolines on a weather map and weather in general (not including two weather instruments in detail)
    Maths - Learn number systems

Thursday 26 May

History - Learn Fascist Italy
    Geography - Learn how Soils form (climate, vegetation, micro-organisms etc)
    Irish - Learn scéal / aiste phrases
    Maths - Learn the Cylinder, Sphere & Cone

Friday 27 May

History - Learn Social Change in the Twentieth Century
    Science - Learn Elements, Compounds and Mixtures

Saturday 28 May

Geography - Learn Maps & Photographs
    Science - Learn Water & Water Hardness

Sunday 29 May

Science - Learn Plastics & Measurement
    History - Learn World War 2

Monday 30 May

French - Learn another vocabulary topic list
    Geography - Learn factors that influence a population density
    History - Learn The Cold War / European Unity / India The Birth of a Nation (whichever one you chose for your JC, it's your choice)
    Science - Learn Magnetism

Tuesday 31 May

Geography - Learn two problems Hong Kong & Calcutta / Kolkata suffer because of their high population density
    French - Learn your postcard phrases
    Irish - Learn your letter phrases

Wednesday 1 June

Science - Learn Density & Flotation
    Maths - Learn Applied Arithmetic
    Geography - Learn Leaching of soils

Thursday 2 June

French - Learn your note phrases & another vocabulary topic list
    Geography - Learn an Irrigation scheme & a new town you have studied
    Maths - Learn Functions

Friday 3 June

Science - Learn Motion & Force
    French - Learn your letter phrases
    Geography - Learn Population Pyramids

Saturday 4 June

Geography - Learn Tourism (Maps & Photographs, Population AND Tertiary Economics)
    Maths - Learn Coordinate Geometry
    Science - Learn Moments, Levers & Centre of Gravity and Pressure

Sunday 5 June

Maths - Learn Probability
    Science - Learn Heat & Energy
    Geography - Learn a low population density you have studied

Monday 6 June

Science - Learn Light & Sound
    Geography - Learn Settlement (like types, the Polders, the River Rhine and an Irish settlement with three functions)
    Maths - Learn Statistics

Tuesday 7 June

Revise for English

I didn't include Religion because you said it's less important. I follow much longer timetables but I tried to keep it as short as possible here as in, keeping it fair! Some things I haven't said here but with all these things anyways, you will be able to do them (the ones I didn't say are choices). If you cannot make your own exams / exam questions using studyclix, then tell me what you want to do and I will create an exam paper for you of that topic.

Oh my god thank you so much, this will help me so much with studying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

*cough* 100% *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

My school regularly gets in the top 3 C.S.P.E. results in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

No need to start getting all high and mighty, all that was said was that some people (about 80% of JC candidates) are certainly going to be disappointed with their CSPE results come September if they expect an automatic A just for showing up

emersyn wrote: »
    No need to start getting all high and mighty, all that was said was that some people (about 80% of JC candidates) are certainly going to be disappointed with their CSPE results come September if they expect an automatic A just for showing up

Exactly.
    Could be a fair few scarlet faces here in September if people are already crowing about how well they will do. Of course most of the 'Sure CSPE is a guaranteed A' people tend not to post their actual grades when they get them.

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    My school regularly gets in the top 3 C.S.P.E. results in the country.

How does your school know this?

I know the top result in the country is publicly available for some subjects, where there is a medal awarded, but was not aware CSPE was one. Is it just your teacher says this?

How does your school know this?

I know the top result in the country is publicly available for some subjects, where there is a medal awarded, but was not aware CSPE was one. Is it just your teacher says this?

My vice principal has said this.

• Advertisement

I see.

**edit That got away from me - got to love mobiles.
    I used to tell my lot all sorts.

Many students get 100% in JC exams, it's strange anyone would talk of a top three. Three of the best ones yes, but top three unlikely.

I see.

Why, is it possible he is lying? I am just going off what he said.

Of course it's possible he's lying. Please don't believe everything teachers say.

The SEC does not issue league tables of results to schools. Schools get their own results, nobody else's.

There are certain subjects in which there are sponsored medals (or prizes) and correctors of those subjects will be asked to send on the exam numbers of candidates scoring 'perfect scores', for example 180/180 in History, to their Advising Examiner, but those medals are all done in house in the SEC. Schools get sent the final winners, not those eligible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Religion gets just as much time-tabled class time as Geography, History, etc. so it is a different kettle of fish to CSPE (which is a common level subject, RE is not). It is in no way a guaranteed A. It also has a journal component that counts for 20% of the final grade, and can often make a big difference. My mock papers for RE were marked far too generously this year, and there were an awful lot of 90% grades that won't be replicated in June.

I know plenty of people who have received Bs or lower in CSPE and Religion. In fact, I know one person who received 10 As and 1 B in CSPE. Don't take anything for granted, or belittle the work done by teachers of these subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I see people belittling CSPE all the time but I think this board is the first time I've seen people belittling the Religion exam - I thought it was difficult enough myself!

emersyn wrote: »
    I see people belittling CSPE all the time but I think this board is the first time I've seen people belittling the Religion exam - I thought it was difficult enough myself!

My school does Religion but not as an examination subject! In 1st year I did it and it was so boring and easy the exams we got. My results

Xmas: 97%
    Summer: 99%

^ She couldn't care to give me 100%? :pac:. Most of the answers were right in front of us? Since 1st year, I have dropped it (I am allowed) and I do extra classes on subjects I find difficult instead. Do I count as "belittling"?

Standard Religion classes are very different to the exam subject.

It's quite an interesting subject, though statistically, it is one of the more difficult ones to get an A in.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I always tell anyone I come across to take CSPE seriously. It's not a guaranteed A. I got a C in CSPE and any time I mention that to somebody who's doing their junior certain or recently did it they burst out laughing.

Two of my mates were gutted the day of the results. They both got 9 As and one got a B in CSPE and the other a C. Another guy got a D. My year in particular had poor enough results in CSPE

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I always tell anyone I come across to take CSPE seriously. It's not a guaranteed A. I got a C in CSPE and any time I mention that to somebody who's doing their junior certain or recently did it they burst out laughing.

Two of my mates were gutted the day of the results. They both got 9 As and one got a B in CSPE and the other a C. Another guy got a D. My year in particular had poor enough results in CSPE

I guess it depends on if you spent good time on your project as well as watch current affairs & politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I guess it depends on if you spent good time on your project as well as watch current affairs & politics.

Well surprisingly enough our teacher didn't give a sh1te about CSPE. she was from Connemara and taught Irish and history so she put tons of emphasis on those.

when it came to the CSPE class she would crack jokes about it and tell us to make sure we could stay within the lines in colouring. We were told we could fly through the exam if we opened the book the week coming up to the exam.

Im not blaming her, but the class was mostly making fun of things and general messing.

Advertisement