Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I agree; I DID say it was ridiculous that there was no mention of Alan shooting Forbes, even though it was an accident, and he was exonerated of any blame. Look, I've said repeatedly my problem is that they haven't explained how and why Alan is on a prime-time BBC show. Stuff that came before it was a bit far-fetched maybe, but there weren't gaping plot holes, and illogical progression like there is now. It riles me because the Gibbons brothers clearly know their stuff with regards to Alan, and I,Partridge (which they largely wrote) covers every aspect of Alan's life and history in great detail. They have just gotten extremely casual and sloppy since the Alpha Papa movie. Everything is a bit random now, rather than well-thought-out.

I never said Alan is realistic, but the story has to make sense and have a certain plausibility for the characters involved.
    do you think it realistic that Alan harbours pain from childhood trauma from his father abusing him by asking up to help him clip the hedge 4TIMES as well as cleaning the garage one hot summers day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

do you think it realistic that Alan harbours pain from childhood trauma from his father abusing him by asking up to help him clip the hedge 4TIMES as well as cleaning the garage one hot summers day?

YES!!! It's consistent with Alan's character. Sorry, have I wandered into a twilight zone episode here??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

"Lynn, could you to go down to Sol Dangerfields Casting Agency and tell ‘em to get me a 40 year old scorcher. And do use that word."

Alan commentating on a boxing match:

Alan Partridge: Thank goodness, actually, they're wearing gloves, because I've witnessed bare-knuckle boxing in a barn in Somerset about three years ago. And it was a sorry sight to see men goading them on in such a barbaric fashion. And I'm rather ashamed to say I was party to that goading. And two men fighting as I saw in that barn that night, naked as the day they were born, and fighting the way God intended. Wrestling at points, I don't know if you've seen "Women In Love". There's a marvellous scene by the fire. It kind of resembled that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

"You join me in the helicopter now as we look down on these cyclists who look like cattle in a mad way...but cattle on bikes."

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

One is a plausible scenario: Alan's marriage breaks up, he checks into a hotel for a period of time because he was expecting to get his BBC gig back, and would have been able to buy a house for himself then. Remember I'm Alan Partridge Series 1 Episode 1? As Alan said himself, living in the Travel Tavern was a nightmare. It was intended to be a short stay that turned into a prolonged stay.

The current scenario is implausible. A media personality who is a total pariah, and has been on a downward trajectory for the past two decades, suddenly gets a prime-time gig back on the BBC, without any explanation of how he managed to wrangle that.

If you can't see the difference between those two, well then there's nothing more I can say. Have a good day, sir :)

He didn't suddenly get a Prime Time show. It was meant to be a short term gig until the previous presenter recovered from a heart attack. It was a last minute call, the BBC stuck for someone. Alan got a "lucky" break when the permanent presenter died.

He didn't suddenly get a Prime Time show. It was meant to be a short term gig until the previous presenter recovered from a heart attack. It was a last minute call, the BBC stuck for someone. Alan got a "lucky" break when the permanent presenter died.

I know this, but my question is why Alan? How did he get this gig, a man who had been forgotten about for decades and had a checkered history with the BBC. He was adrift in local radio in Norwich: why would the BBC go for him now, and bring Sidekick Simon along with him? It's just stupid.

We're going around in circles here: there are major plot-holes and inconsistencies that people here are choosing to ignore. That's fine, but I don't like it, and maybe it would be forgivable if this series was as funny as the old shows, but it is not. The whole thing is just sloppy and lazy. Nobody will be quoting this show in years to come. I don't even hear anyone quoting Mid Morning Matters 2, which was equally unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's not much more implausable (and possibly inspired by ) Tubridy covering for the BBC

anyone remember tubs announcing "the revolution will be televised" ? his "intellectual" paraphrasing of the London riots on bbc which he got a right bollicking over!

It's not much more implausable (and possibly inspired by ) Tubridy covering for the BBC

anyone remember tubs announcing "the revolution will be televised" ? his "intellectual" paraphrasing of the London riots on bbc which he got a right bollicking over!

Except there is a difference between Ireland's "leading" media figure been given a temporary gig with the BBC, and a pariah like Alan getting it. The wimpy BBC would not touch him with a barge-pole.

I bet Tubs only got that gig because he has the same agent as Graham Norton, and he probably only got basic BBC pay for it. But it helps to create the fantasy that he is a talented presenter that the BBC could possibly head-hunt, so we better keep him well paid over here for fear we might lose him (what a loss that would be!). The BBC would never take him on anyways; he's just too odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

For crying out loud. Just go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Yeah, but they didn't keep Tubbs after Terry Wogan died. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Evil_g wrote: »
    For crying out loud. Just go with it.

Agreed!

I for one have enjoyed having Alan back at the beeb!
    Looking forward to seeing what happens tonight...what could possibly go wrong!!

Big Vern wrote: »
    Agreed!

I for one have enjoyed having Alan back at the beeb!
    Looking forward to seeing what happens tonight...what could possibly go wrong!!

Probably end in disaster. I can't see Alan going out in a whimper.

I am leaving it alone. People won't leave me and my opinions alone! :pac:

Enjoy the last episode lads. I pray it's the greatest episode of Partridge ever (though I confidently predict it won't be :P).

sligojoek wrote: »
    Yeah, but they didn't keep Tubbs after Terry Wogan died. :D

The listeners would probably have agreed that listening to Terry's corpse decomposing live on air was preferable to listening to Tubridy.

I've really got to stop bitching about Tubridy. I'm already banned from his radio thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I am leaving it alone. People won't leave me and my opinions alone! :pac:

Enjoy the last episode lads. I pray it's the greatest episode of Partridge ever (though I confidently predict it won't be :P).

Needless to say, we're going to have the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Alan to Monty Don (gardener)

"you're one of the few people on TV that can say Pansies without feeling self conscious" :p

Well needles to say, I hope you all die of drug overdoses :D

I am curious to see how they wrap up the show. If something major doesn't happen that sets Alan's path for a future series, then they really don't give a **** anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I always got the feeling that there were some in the BBC who wanted to see Alan back on TV, and he got a very raw deal due to Tony Hayers being in control (he clearly didn't give KMKY the resources it needed to be successful, and could also be implicated by letting a loaded gun onto the set). It also means he's managed to avoid all the controversy that being in the BBC for the past 20 years would bring, and he'd be a relatively cheap replacement given he currently earning less than Walley Bantz, perfect for a fluffy show such as This Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Well needles to say, I hope you all die of drug overdoses :D

I am curious to see how they wrap up the show. If something major doesn't happen that sets Alan's path for a future series, then they really don't give a **** anymore.

the whole thing could be a setup for another series of I'm Alan Partridge, which would be amazing.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    the whole thing could be a setup for another series of I'm Alan Partridge, which would be amazing.

Agreed, but only if Iannucci and Baynham came back on board too.

I think the BBC got carried away with getting Coogan back, because he had defected to Sky for a while. It's like they got confused between Coogan/Partridge, and ended up giving them both a prime-time show, when really it should just have been Coogan getting the slot :pac: They probably didn't watch the old shows; they just gave Coogan a ton of cash because he's a movie star now as well, and they want big names on the beeb.

Or Alan, after a rocky start/restart could become a beloved institution at the BBC, like Parkinson, Dimbleby or even Lineker; beyond reproach, the go to guy, who can rescue any show by the cult of his personality alone. And all his mistakes will eventually be forgotten. He will be seen as safe, the housewife's choice, non controversial, the Joe Duffy of the BBC.

Today we're talking 'Forced Celebrity Breeding'. If you could take two celebrities and force them to mate, which ones would it be and why. On line 1 we've got Duncan from Beccles:

'Pamela Anderson with Stephen Hawking.... and you'd create a beautiful genius'

'Or a disabled lifeguard'

'Um, oh yeah...'

'And I tell you something, Duncan - you couldn't fire them. Not these days.'

The thing about wheelchair access is it doesn't distinguish between Davros and Stephen Hawking. Mind you, from 400 yards I'm not sure I could...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Things got a little bit tense here for a while, I thought Alan himself would have to intervene.

RZM0j2cMX6D1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well his last TV chat show ended in manslaughter...so it'll be interesting to see how this one ends....maybe Alan caught fondling Jenny live on air or something to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Ah-haaa
    Awful sad it's the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,425 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

“May god be with you.”

“And also with you.”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

"a nice bit of skirt".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Nigel Mansell :D

Advertisement