Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital and Analogue divide

Options
  • 01-04-2016 12:17am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The forum has seen a separation of people using Digital Technology and those who are using Analogue methods (ie. Film)

After much consultation this Forum will soon be split into two.

This forum will remain, under the Arts category for those who use Film.

A New Forum, Digital Imaging and Design, will be set up in the Technology and Internet category.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I am new enough to the forum. I like it. I bought a camera.

Splitting it is wack, does not make any sense.

Again, i am new but unless there are secret hidden forums, i didn't see any of the discussion/consultation.

I thought photography was just that, taking a photograph, be is digital or film.

Again, just a newb. :confused:

Edit: In light of recent information, and a lack of wine in my system, this seems a great idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i do hope the film forum will be further subdivided into colour and monochrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

...but I'm a photographer, I just don't use film. Splitting the forum seems a bit unnecessary.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

i do hope the film forum will be further subdivided into colour and monochrome.

Film will have Mono, Colour, Print and Transparency sub-forums

Digital will have Mac, Windows, Nikon, Canon and Other Makes sub-forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Facepalm.
    I feckin' hate today.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Pfft why bother, film is dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

zero19 wrote: »

Film is Art.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Film is far from dead. It may not be main stream but there is still a market for selling, shooting and processing film.

(I know I have a minilab)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Everything considered, this makes complete sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Can I further suggest the following:

1. Within the Nikon sub-forum I think there should be 3 further sub-fora for Full Size, Cropped and Consumer sized sensors.
    2. Separate fora within the mono and colour film forums for each ISO level. So a Mono200 forum, Mono400, etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and a swan subforum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

and a swan subforum.

I'll give you that but only if I can have a foreground rock subforum...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Maybe it is also worth looking at processing. Photos that are processed are really more digital design? Should they be a part of the new Digital Imaging and Design sub-forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Why aren't they both sub-forums of photography?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

dinneenp wrote: »
    Why aren't they both sub-forums of photography?

Art and photography are different though - so for design and digital manipulation it is felt to be more suited to be put with digital design.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Film is Art.

No it's not CabanSail. Film and Digital are only art if they have a creative / expressive vision, i.e. created with some creative intent. Over the years I have seen film and digital photography here which is quite simply not art (but is still interesting photography). There is also equally plenty of film and digital photography which have had an artistic vision.

I think people who want to create and share any form of art should live in the art forum - regardless of the media used. Putting Digital Photography into Technology / Internet forum is a bit of shame. It almost implies that Digital is inferior / not art worthy?

Personally - I shoot digital. Have always tried (to varying degrees of success) - through my landscape or portraits - to tell stories / share emotions. I've loved this forum for the v reason that digital and film media were together under the photography banner. And it was a fantastic melting pot where you got to see various perspectives / story telling. So I am not particularly keen on the change myself. And didn't see any discussion here in the photography thread (which I visit daily)? Not sure where/when this discussion happened?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

With the passing of time, and on mature reflection, I am leaning towards thinking that it is perhaps unwise to make this type of change CabanSail. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the whole notion, and the thinking behind it, has been entirely foolish.

Yes. I think we might leave it for now. Maybe revisit this idea next year, let's say 1st April 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Wow - hook line and sinker. Bien joue people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

zero19 wrote: »

*I'm actually really enjoying using film for the first time over the last few weeks. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

This was much funnier than most efforts.

Good work.

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Yes. I think we might leave it for now. Maybe revisit this idea next year, let's say 1st April 2017.

Well played. I had already began to gather my thoughts and attempt a reasoned plea. Those initial thankers... actually think it would have been a good idea or where they just not caught?!

zippy84 wrote: »
    Those initial thankers... actually think it would have been a good idea or where they just not caught?!

I hope the latter as it was a very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Bravo, Bravo!!
    Hadn't been on here since last week and started reading this thread without checking the date, roaring I was...Well Done young Sail:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

I only saw this on April5th and was angered and saddened and ready to to leave.
    Then I realised it was an April Fool and realised its one of the best I have ever seed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

OldGoat wrote: »
    ...but I'm a photographer, I just don't use film. Splitting the forum seems a bit unnecessary.

I was more active in the past, in fact the previous splitting of the forums contributed to my inactivity here, and now you are doing it again ?

Photography is Photography, be it Digital, Film, black and white or colour..

I think its a mistake to do this and I think you will see a drop in activity in each separate forum..

In addition, I'm sure we all learn from seeing posts on subjects we either know little about, or have had no interest in the past in, but the post are interesting..

Even the title of this thread is divisive, as someone who has been involved in photography for decades, I don't know of any divide, its all photography and chopping it up into smaller and smaller sections to me is the divide, not the subject of photography..

To me it's a mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

LMAO...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Photography is Photography, be it Digital, Film, black and white or colour..

I think its a mistake to do this and I think you will see a drop in activity in each separate forum..

In addition, I'm sure we all learn from seeing posts on subjects we either know little about, or have had no interest in the past in, but the post are interesting..

Off topic, but these are good reasons as to why I don't believe we should have a separate random film photo thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

But... but I just bought a hardly used 64Mp tellyfloato (with Low Pro bag) incl 2 bottles of dehydrated H20 developing chemtrails from a new reg on Adverts. He met me in Blanch and all. Package included a handwritten link to this thread.

The battery in his phone must be dead (thought he was low), because I don't even get a recorded message when I call him.

I just need his cousin's number, because he has the very rare manual for sale.

Seller told me I can get the developing trays in MacDonald's. Didn't say which branch though?

Help?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

and a swan subforum.

:)

Advertisement