Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

As good a Friday as any

• 29-03-2016 9:42am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So having, for all intents and purpose, not trained at all for a year I have decided to slowly build myself back up.

A little earlier than this time last year, I was, in my opinion, in the best shape of my life. I then got a bad infection in my leg and ended up losing a bit of muscle from my right leg, loosing the will to push, I then settled into commuting only and not going out competitively at all.

In the last month though my weight has suddenly shifted dramatically from 80kg upto 86kg, I looked in the mirror the other day and was not happy with the person looking back.

I have went out for two days racing this year so far. The SDCC GP, where I instantly found i did not have that hunger that pushed me only a year before. I pushed myself a little but when push came to shove, I dropped out and went home.

Less than a week later I went out for the track intervarsities, on our 500m starter, I felt OK but the normal drive that would make me jump coming round the last corner was not there and while it was looking like an OK time until that point, I lost huge time in the last 50m, basically slowing to a slow spin. A crash in front of me in the next race, which I thankfully avoided, i went home, feeling quite dejected again.

I have lost my hunger, and gained a hunger for biscuits and cake. My motivation is in the toilet, I feel down and a bit ****ty in waves.

So my aim for the next few months, specifically for the next 3 is two fold. To get my motivation back (I am currently motivating myself to become motivated) and to drop back down to 80kg.

The weight in theory should be physically easy but mentally tough as it is a dietary problem in the main. I am hoping that the two are linked and as one hunger drops, the other increases.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

images_zps5dhgipgf.jpeg

On the plus side your new track bike is super sexy and fast. There's some motivation right there :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

First day over, started well. Bumped into my brother in law on the bike. He is a super competitive guy (represented Ireland in Athletics a couple of years ago) and was chatting to him for a few minutes. He told me to go on. I knew that if I didn't jump quick he would try and take me on in a commuter race style fashion. I dropped a gear or two quietly and hammered it (head up though and not making any out of the saddle moves so he just thought it was me being me). Got a way nicely. Not competitive racing but there was a want which was nice to see.

Got into work though and things took a turn for the worse. I forgot my glucometer (measures my blood glucose level) and my insulin pump partially failed. So I felt really drained, unwell and ****ty. I was honestly thinking about just walking out of work, it's amazing how much your personality changes so quickly. By the time the work day was over, it was an effort to get changed. Barely had the legs to get half way home and thought I was coming down with something.

Got in the door, blood glucose was 29.4mmol (it should have been below 10 and preferably between 5 and 7mmol/L).

Once that was fixed I felt alot better. Stayed down over night. Diet improved dramatically (about 25% of my typical carb intake) although it was just one day and everything is easy for just one day.

I did have a glass of wine before bed but after such a moany all day, I felt it well deserved.

Going to get a quick spin in at lunch if that's possible, about 15km, see how the legs are outside of commuting.

Well there have been some positives and some negatives.

The clear positives are that my weight has dropped by half of my goal, so I am now at 83kg. My legs are feeling better and I can push a bit more than I could only two weeks ago.

The negatives are far more disturbing though.

Race fit: Not even close, thankfully I am helping organise the first race in my clubs league as it would be humiliating. I can go at race pace for a few minutes, maybe 15 at a push but that's it.

Speed: Has improved but what feels like a good jump when I am out is humiliating when I look down at my speedometer

I am planning to add in an extra 60 minutes training per day from next Monday, 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at lunch to see what this can do.

and sweet FA to show for it.

I had dropped down again in weight, averaging 81.5kg. This was mainly due to giving up booze rather than any increase in training or healthy eating.

Starting to get a bit faster on the bike, not much but I can feel myself going faster. Climbing is getting a bit easier again but still slow.

Went out for my first race last week. Started out grand, one guy went off the front but i resisted the temptation to follow. He stayed out there for over half the race before we started to pull him in. I took a few shots of the front, more to do with riders suddenly slowing on uphills and me having me gears ready for the hills. Never got away for long though. One guy made a shoot off the front in the final quarter and I followed and we made a nice break on the hill and made enough space that I lost sight of the chase group. We were separate and didn't work together but got away for about 10 minutes before being reeled back in.

Legs started to get weak so I went to sit in but we overtook the dregs from a race group ahead of us and they tagged on which meant that I couldn't slot in. When I finally got into the group, they slowed up and ended up blocking me off. I got around them when finally one of them said, I think he is still racing. Thankfully they pulled out but my legs were shot, I tried getting out of the saddle but nearly fell over as they were jelly. I just kept pushing though, pulled away slightly and got back to within 25m of the leaders.

Made 6th place and my first points ever.

Got home to stomach cramps and spent the night curled in a ball, nearly crying, well worth it. Next race, I am aiming for first, and will settle for fifth, nothing less.

Down to just under 81kg but find my self lacking for extended efforts.

Was out for a run up against a few people in a race up the Sally Gap last week. Neutralised twice, my attempt to go off the front at the very beginning was proven fruitless. Which was annoying as the pace was sedate for a large part of the race and I felt if we hadn't to neutralise it I might have held off a bit longer or forced a good few people to tire earlier.

Regardless I held in there for most of the race and even took another lunatic run off the front nearing Kippure. I broke free and when I looked behind a few minutes later I could see no one but my legs tired quickly and I was swallowed up a minute or two before we made it out to the open space for the run upto the gap.

I managed to grab a wheel as they went by and got out of the saddle to stay on. A small break went for it and I grabbed on, and held on for about 1/3 of the way up but then the legs started to go on me and a group of 9 kept going and I got caught in no mans land in between the following group. At this point I was tempted to stop but I had reached that point where even casually spinning up the hill was not an option, it was either stop or keep going.

As they pulled away from me, I counted back who I had to catch to make 6th as they spread out. The 3 in front of me, while far ahead, and still slightly faster than me were slowing, so I pulled on my big boy pants and started pushing (at a miserable 11kmph). Once I got moving, my speed rose to 15kmph but my legs were now cramping like a bass drum being beaten in rhythm for marching soldiers. Everytime my foot reached 2 o'clock on the pedal stroke, the quad closest to my knee would stall. The three where now further spread out but were slowing, I eventually caught the 8th man, stopped behind for a minute and then like an assh0le, dropped a gear or two and spun like a lunatic. I had dropped him and now the next two were in my sites. I was gaining on the next man, but unlike the movies of my youth, he was to far gone, I kept pushing to the line but he had already crossed a minute before.

I felt good I got up but disappointed in my ever prevailing lack of tactical skills. Still nowhere near my fitness levels of old unfortunately.

• Advertisement

A good news/bad news sort of few weeks.

The positives are that without any training over the past few weeks, I have not put on any weight. Reduction in alcohol and a severe drop in sugary foods. I realise almost everything I eat has sugar but I am talking about sweets, biscuits, etc.

Went out for my clubs hill climb TT tonight. not my finest performance. Took off and tired around the second minute. Kept pushing but kept looking behind like a rookie waiting for the catch. Then suddenly I seen a rider in the distance, just ahead, not a minute, around the corner. I wasn't much faster but I was getting a bit of a push, the adrenaline was starting to flow. I was catching my minute man. It didn't make sense, I knew he was better, faster, stronger and yet I was within spitting distance inside of a minute.

I was getting closer, cockier, the time on my garmin made no sense. He must have had a mechanical.

Then it struck me, it was one of the U16 and fair f8cks was he giving it socks. I caught up and gave him a shout of encouragement. The adrenaline of catching my minute man was gone but replaced by the adrenaline of not wanting the kid to think he had been overtaken by a failure. I squared my shoulders and started pushing. The breath was leaving my lungs, it was painful, sore, but I kept pushing. Once round the corner and out of sight I found nice rhythm, not fast but steady. All of a sudden in the distance I see a club jersey. Not the finish line but some one to keep the head clear until, a good marker, I was speeding up. Far too late of course, I look at my Garmin, a competitive time was slipping away,
    and it was gone, not that I thought it was a hope but it was a nice thought.

Then I seen it, the finish line, and all of that ignorance I bury insude took over, I slipped up into 53 and out of the saddle. Like an A4 racing for 25th, I put the hammer down. I barely had the breath to call my number.

Far from first but not the slowest time on the night. A minute behind the fastest man in the club but for a man with no training far more than I deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭daragh_

You beat me by 11 seconds. Quit yer moaning :D

I will have my revenge...

daragh_ wrote: »
    You beat me by 11 seconds. Quit yer moaning :D

I will have my revenge...

See you at the start line this week. I was about to make a witty comment about being easy to recognise as I'd be the guy in front of you.

Then I realised I am in the slower group :o

Well since the last time I wrote here, Daragh_ did finish in front of me despite my comments. I have to say I blame the two neutralisations in my group though, getting caught by a suicidal tractor who despite not being faster than us, went for an overtake and pulled up beside the rear riders. We relented and everyoen agree to neutralise until the tractor was gone. We ended up behind it, 5kmph slower for almost a km, we then were stopped again when a car turned in front of the lead car and it had to slam on and swerve (it had right of way).

Despite this, I was happy with my effort with myself and three other riders drilling it from the front the rest of the time and we were only caught in the last km.

Holidays for two weeks after that, were little was done, with two short spins and that was that.

Getting back into it this week, weight only increased marginally over the holidays, just heading north of 80kg in the last few days, which can be attributed more to diabetes issues and my pump having several issues, as well as a chest infection that slowed me right down.

In an effort to get back into it, I went out for a short spin on Monday night around my local area, only 20km but enough to open the legs.
    Tuesday night, I added 30km onto my commute, didn't push hard but gave a few drives. Felt good but since I had my work bag on my back and forgot water, I was quite thirsty getting home and my legs were sore as a result the next morning.
    Wednesday night I went out for my first track session since the disastrous College Champs earlier in the year. Spun around the track for a warm up and felt OK. I signed up for the Bs but was put into C1s when quizzed about when I was last on the track. It turned otu to be a good thing, I was given a warning that if I showed any potential I would be in Bs by the 2nd race.
    First off was a 12 lap race with points on ever fourth for 1,2,3. Stayed in OK, didn't push to hard but went for it with half a lap on lap 4 and was taken over about 20 metres from the line but still managed a third place. I could feel the burn though. I sat in and tried to recuperate but one of the guys drilled of the front, so I followed, caught him and didn't let go, caught shortly after we were overtaken on the second sprint lap. I came around him but couldn't catch the same two guys again but got another third place. On the last sprint lap though I dropped off, my legs were not feeling it and I lost half a lap, went over the line and hopped up just to make sure i got my points.
    Next up was an 8 lap hare and hound. We started catching the drop offs around lap 3. The Hares had pulled apart, they started with far more riders. We had 5 starting but one guy dropped off after the first after half a lap but the rest of us held together until lap 5 when we were approaching the second group of hares. As we went around them I hadn't realised I had dropped my team so i slowed up, let them catch me and we went on again and caught the leading hares with two laps remaining. Follwing our leader, we realised we had dropped our two co workers. We decided it was time to plough on and we would work together. Unfortunately when I pulled out to let him go in front, a few hares had latched on and I couldn't get back on. My seat post was slipping a bit as well so I just sat up and rolled over the line.
    For the final race we had the kilo dash, we joked away about letting the strong guy in the group lead us out and that we were all going to sit on him. I started joking about it being the last race, we should go from the gun so as to get home, as the groups before us had done. We all laughed. As we went around in the line, awaiting the nod for the start, I kept myself up at the top of the track, one i feel more comfy up there, as riders don't tend to pull up there in this sort of race, but also because by the time people see what your at, while the race is longer, you may have more of a gap. We got the nod and one guy took off, I matched his pace only on the top. Everyone else had drifted down slightly to fall in behind but i just started pushing. Kept pace going round the first bend even though I was doing a longer distance. The banking is not as helpful as I remember but I started merging down. I though I was going to come in behind him but I actually started to pass coming out of the second turn. By the third bend I moved onto the white and started hammering it. To the point where the bike actually felt like it was rumbling. I presumed everyone was on my tail and laughing at me but I thought, to hell with it. Coming into the 3rd bend on the lasp lap, I started to feel it, I had now been flat out for a lap and a quarter and I was slowing, it wasn't painful but it was hitting me. I was wondering why no one was taking me but I figured they were just about to. I looked behind and I had almost the length of the straight on the group. Coming into the 4th bend though I had slowed to commuter speed, I willed my legs on but they were not responding. had I enough distance? I was half way up the straight to the finishing line, when I was taken again, 1st and 2nd place came around me, third over took me but i got that little push and managed to take third i think. I let out an alright inappropriate roar of frustration but it was fun.

Amazing what the bit of high intensity does for the blood sugars, came home and they were up at 24.4mmol/l (should be between 5 and 7mmol/l on a good day but anywhere between 4 and 12mmol/l is grand.

Tonight is the club TTT, trying to get the water on board as the front of my legs are still aching a bit. Thankfully it is only a 30km course but I am quite nervous. No Garmin so I will be pushing the speed on feel and what my teammates shout at me.

Well if I didn't go and screw my teamates over in the TTT. I was quite tired and I got caught running late and had to TT it out there, nearly maxed out the entire journey over when I wasn't at traffic lights. There is a reason I always try and give good time, I remember now why that is. I made it to the old starting line with minutes to spare only to remember they moved it up the road. Luckily a club mate pulled over. I already had a pain in my stomach, so i was losing confidence and fast.

Got signed on, a bit of water. Called up to the ambulance to ask for glucose tabs as I somehow forgot mine, and they were happy to oblige, better preventative than having to pick me up off the road.
    Waiting around awhile, we eventually started off. Less than 100metres and we were already in the wrong order. I came up to the front and was feeling good, once they were on I slowly increased my pace. Going through the first two roundabouts, I looked back to realise I had dropped them and slowed up. They caught again and I just could not get the pacing right. I couldn't hear the man behind, he was shouting but what was beyone my comprehension. Should I pull over, go faster, slow down, I felt sh1t and was acting worse. I pulled over and then couldn't tag back on. I shouted to go on. I could see them 100m ahead for the next few minutes but slowly they drifted away. The minute men caught me at about 15km and I called it a day after 1 lap.
    This may have been the best for my team as they managed to pull out a first place in the semi limit/limit group without me weighing them down.

I slunk home, tail between legs. The following week wold involve little cycling as I spent more time up and down visiting my dad (in hospital but in good form, released last week). I took the weekend off from visits to attack the Wexford 2 day. Even more nervous with a week sans cycling under my belt.

The weather was awful, I spent the first while drinking road water, I even gave up spitting it out ad just let the drool fall onto my face rather than waste energy turning to spit. A non called pothole nearly ended me but somehow, despite the gunshot, my tyre stayed up and running. First lap was good, I stayed in the bunch for most of it. Went off the front for some of it on the N25 but made sure not to push hard and after stretching my legs, creeped back in and hopped on a wheel. All was going well, came up to the hills on lap 2, flew up the first one, overtook a few people. Could feel my breathing getting heavy so tamed it down but was still going strong. Very careful not to blow up. The second ramp up though my chain slipped (in top 5 at this stage) and I slipped off myself into the side out of the way. Had to wait for a few to pass to get around to my chain. Uncrumpled it, wrapped it around, spun for a a second, lifted and changed down (we were on the steepest part and I was starting from still). Jumped on and pushed off before sliding across the road to nearly hitting the Comms car. Got the crap off after a few weird spin/balance motions and off I went. The few minutes rest were nice as I paced up the rest of the way with ease. I sat in with a few lads but I was already down time. We tried to line it out but clear differences in aim and effort made it awkward and a few of us up the front just kept the tempo up. It was good and we pushed hard and we caught a few. Alas we were eventually caught by the A1 comms, we had just got a time of 35seconds at the last corner, so I presume we were catching. The comms pretty forced us to a stop, I pulled in tight as i was at the front but the comms came up beside me and warned me to pull in slow it down completely. It was frustrating as we were down to half speed for a few minutes. The halt had really threw some people off and several just couldn't pick it back up. The next I hear, we are back down at 3 minutes from one marshall. I suppose we all became a bit dispondent. I even forgot how many laps were left and kept pushing thinking I was near done. It all caught up with me on the last lap, nearly neutralised by A3, I tore on and made the corner this time before I was cut off. The legs were unhappy now and I just plodded along quite happily. A Swords rider in the distance inspired a bit of effort from me but when they didn't catch on and I hit the N25 alone, I just focused on getting to the line. The swords rider eventually picked up and overtook me, I didn't have the chase. My stomach was feeling twitchy and my legs were sore. Eventually 3 lads got me near the end and I slotted in behind them and actually felt relief as I stole their wheels.

The TT was next. I had done a short reccie and was quite happy with it. My stomach had settled, I had a nice double espresso in the Ferrycarrig, blood sugars were good, I was ready for action. Chatting to my minute man, who I had met earlier in the day, he was planning on taking it easy at the start before turning to hammer it up the final stretch. It was steep but I didn't think it needed that much. I took off, and while the legs were not fast, I wasn't saving much for the end. Before we took the turn for the ramp, i caught a glimpse of my minute man, no more than 20 seconds ahead. Confidence was up. I just had to get the ramp right. I had the gear in my head, if the road was clear, I would take it wide and hammer it as I knew it was a tight corner and the inside line had a bump and felt greasy. I came around and that slow motion thing happened. I felt the wheels go, i looked at the go horizontally to my direction of movement. I prepared for the hit, tucked in, possibly blanked for a split second and then just lay there. Arm and leg were sore, not broken though. Finally got the bike away and pulled myself up. Ankle was good despite being under the bike. Marshall checked me and I told him I was good to go. We spent a bit of time straightening out the chain and then he pushed me like Hercules was his son. I got over the line and a Lucan support man came over with baby wipes, followed by my club mates support team arriving with first aid kit and bandages.

Stage 3 was a different ball game altogether, the general consensus in the group was to take it handy, I don't think it even needed to be said with the sullen faces. A few people took off from the gun but never pushed more than 100metres away on their own and never really got reeled back in, more just slunk back into the general group. We had a couple of ramp ups on the N25, livening up the legs but nothing major. A few of us gave a craic at lining it out for a bit but I quickly passed and sat in for a rest, which was to be my plan for the day. As the day went on, the legs felt better and better, confidence grew and grew. Then.

Pfffft.

Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft. Pfffft.

DAMN IT.

Hand up, I had no spare wheels and my teammate was in a good position so I waved them on and hoped for neutral service. Which did not exist or rolled past me, not sure which. A guy over from England with his daughter pulled over, got a tube change after alot of messing (issues with my chain and tyre). Pumped up but at this stage the group was gone 5 minutes or more. We were near half way so I took the advice given and turned for home. Got a second puncture 6km from the finish and started the walk back. With about 2km left, a van pulled over, hopped out and gave me a rear wheel. Said he would see me at the finish line and swap back. Genuinely great people all round for the weekend, but I expect nothing less in Wexford.

• Advertisement

Sitting here on a Saturday evening, my partner and daughter are gone to a hens. I had great plans for getting a load of things done but as it turns out, I am not particularly arsed.

So since I last posted, my training and effort have tanked. Due to stressful external factors, I just have not had the mental space to even stay mildly focused. My diet has slipped back into reasonably carb heavy, or just not eating at all. My blood sugars are in the toilet, again due to stress (wholly based on first world problems, I really have no problems when I look at my life from an outside viewpoint). My drinking has gone up again, back from my happy occasional beer or glass of wine back to drinking almost daily, for no other reason than it is there. It is quite sad when I think about it, knowing I don't even want the drink but I take one anyway.

My weight has gone up, back upto 82kg. Not much compared to the start of the year but its made me unhappy.

As a family we are moving inside of the next four weeks, so this is my date for getting my head screwed on again. I have found that setting a specific date does me no favours, so this is a tangible change that i have to go with. My commute will increase three fold, and I have already looked at alternative routes to increase my distance (not majorly), but more importantly my climbing.

I was overall disappointed with my performance in 2015, so am thinking of my goals for 2016 at an early stage. While I worked through a few things (CX is out as I have no money for another bike, nor space for one), I want to set my targets early. I want to get back into long distance for the craic but I also want to be consistent in my club league turn out as well. Open races will still be limited to the ones that are close to me in Dublin or Wexford but the aims for 2016 are:

For every month there is not a club league race or an open event, I must take part in an Audax event. The longest one on the calendar that month or a permanent. Every permanent must increase in length (or climbing) from month to month, looking at the list, this leaves the logical order as the following (should no calendar events be available or I cannot make them):
    Dying Cow 200
    Mick Byrne 200
    6 Megaliths 300
    REK 400
    Brownstuff 400
    Red Line Red Lane 600

Not a long list but there is unlikely to be that many months where there is nothing on at all. After this is the club league, the aim is to make every race and get promoted at least once. Then finally the Wexford 2 day again. I will be aiming for other open races over the year but this will be the main focus. Unfortunately with the club league, family, work etc. I am saying goodbye to track until I can guarantee I can make time. I only made two events last year and it was pathetic on my part.

Going to get the rollers out again from next month once we move, so will aim for 30 minutes, reasonable amount of high intensity per evening, when there is nothing else on.

Advertisement