Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me oul nemisis BSOD is back ;(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ohh, this thunderbird email recovery is proving pretty tricky ;(

It appears some emails I had in my inbox didn't recover. I tried "repair" the inbox, but all that did was make some older emails and duplicates of newer ones show up, but definitely still some missing.

I'd like to boot the old HD back up to manually try salvage these emails from the inbox as they seemed to be accessible last time I booted. Will replacing the new SSD with the HDD and booting back to the old system, cause any knock on issues with the new W10 install when I put the SSD back in?

I tried change the boot options so usb storage was above HD, and it appeared to be about to boot from the USB, but in doing so, a BSOD appeared each time I tried. I guess it's possible this way, but I guess the HD is too corrupt or there's some other issue.

Is it possible to run it virtually /emulate it from within Windows 10 without the need to swap out the drives etc I wonder?

Hey folks, due to some recent profile issues I've had , I ended up seeing if I could reinstall Windows on the above HDD that was failing. I installed the W10 Creator edition and it seemed to install just fine and it seems to be working fine now for the last hour or two. I haven't done much with it, but I did run a disk check and it said there were no errors:confused:

Maybe it was all to do with something on my last install and the HDD is actually ok?

Can the diagnosis W10 gave be trusted, or is it still possible there are errors and if so, how can I find out? Any help would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I'd suggest using the chkdsk command from the command prompt. Use the switches /f /r /x to do a thorough test and repair. Always back up important data before doing this.

Thanks degsie, but it seems to be working fine now after freshly installing W10 creators on the old 750GB HDD which the diagnosis from all the above posts is that it must be hard drive failure.

I ran command prompt as admin from the search bar, It started in c:\windows\system32> and I just typed chkdsk and hit enter, it ran a test and said it scanned the file system and found no problems. Is this the test you are referring to? It only took about 40 seconds so not sure it could check the integrity of a 750HDD in that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks degsie, but it seems to be working fine now after freshly installing W10 creators on the old 750GB HDD which the diagnosis from all the above posts is that it must be hard drive failure.

I ran command prompt as admin from the search bar, It started in c:\windows\system32> and I just typed chkdsk and hit enter, it ran a test and said it scanned the file system and found no problems. Is this the test you are referring to? It only took about 40 seconds so not sure it could check the integrity of a 750HDD in that time?

The complete command is 'chkdsk /f /r /x' (assuming you have only one disk installed)

It will take some time as it is thorough.

• Advertisement

Thanks again, have tried this from command prompt "run as admin" and also by pressing Windows key and x and then tapping A to get powershell and entered the command there and was told it would check at the next restart. Tried 3 times now but it doesn't check and just goes straight to the login screen :(

EDIT: No mention of w10 here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730714(v=ws.11).aspx

But this says it can be done in w10?? https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-hard-drives-chkdsk-windows-10/

Hey again, so I ran a chkdsk by hooking the hdd up to a caddy and this is the result attached. Does it look like the HD is failing/risky to use from this report or should it be ok for another few weeks while I sort out my new laptop I wonder?

Advertisement