Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body fat

Options
  • 25-03-2016 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Is there anyway I can work out my body fat percentage at home? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not particularly accurately.

Besides, do you need a number? If you're making changes, the beat assessment isn't necessarily body fat percentage but how your clothes fit you and how you look in the mirror.

Progress photos are a powerful tool in motivation by showing you the results of positive changes.

[/2 cents]

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

I was just researching and wondering because I'd like to start lifting and getting strong and toned instead of skinny and flabby. I am actually heavily pregnant at the moment so was trying to plan for afterwards. Maybe I should see how things go!

ja1986 wrote: »
    I was just researching and wondering because I'd like to start lifting and getting strong and toned instead of skinny and flabby. I am actually heavily pregnant at the moment so was trying to plan for afterwards. Maybe I should see how things go!

It's pretty hard to do with any reasonable accuracy yourself and it could even vary from person to person if someone else did it.

Strong and toned is definitely something you could assess with progress pics and ultimately the work you do is to look better nekkid.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

So the weighing scales that measure body fat are not accurate?

sporter1 wrote: »
    So the weighing scales that measure body fat are not accurate?

No. They could vary across the day and they can be affected by hydration levels as well.

The electrical impulse used to measure isn't even across the whole body

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

they can be affected by hydration levels as well.
    Hydration levels also effect your bf% a given time. Which it even harder again to pin down. It's not worrying about it.

Mellor wrote: »
    Hydration levels also effect your bf% a given time. Which it even harder again to pin down. It's not worrying about it.

It's more to do with how it affects the electrical resistance.

Bottom line: they're not accurate for measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's more to do with how it affects the electrical resistance.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But I'm pointing out, that even if you took a method that was pretty accurate (Dexa, BodPod), that hydration changes cause your actual BF% fluctuate up and down on a daily basis (not just the reading).
    It's not worth worrying too much about the number, uses photos as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I can see the value of wanting some sort of objective idea of where you are.

Even if electrical resistance is quite inaccurate it's better to have some idea than no clue whatsoever.

Being pregnant will throw measurement by any method off completely.

Pinch-testing is seen as a good compromise of accuracy with cost/availability.

Advertisement