Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A croissant a day keeps zee doctor away!

Options
  • 23-03-2016 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi All

At the age of 26, I have finally tried my first croissant. This was two months ago. I am now hooked on croissants. So my question is this.

I eat well at the best of times. By no means amazing, but better than average I'd say. I do virtually zero exercise apart from a 45min brisk walk to work and 45min brisk walk home. I am 5'8 and weigh just under 11 stone.

I am going to start attending the gym from Monday onwards. Would a croissant everyday for my breakfast be very bad? (Please don't suggest eggs etc. I am already familiar with the alternatives).

Here is a typical days diet for me.

Breakfast: latte and croissant
    Lunch: salmon and homemade brown bread
    Snack: banana and nuts
    Dinner: homemade soup or meat with veg

Miss Croissant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Your daily allowance to maintain weight is about 1,900 kcals.

The latte and croissant come in at about 540 kcals.

You could of course get more value for those calories but the total number of calories you get on board on a typical day will be the main determinant of what's good or bad.

If it was bad overall, you would look at individual elements and if you needed to reduce calories, you'd be looking at changing the latte and croissant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Take a look at a youtube video of how croissants are made.
    They place a large slab of butter on top of the pastry, fold it over then roll it in.
    I used to eat a croissant a day until I seen how much butter goes into one.

.....Now I eat two a day!! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

God I'd love a croissant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

Me too!

Id ditch the latte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Take a look at a youtube video of how croissants are made. They place a large slab of butter on top of the pastry, fold it over then roll it in. I used to eat a croissant a day until I seen how much butter goes into one.

This would make me want it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

So basically just keep eating croissants..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Croissants are basically a low caffeine bullet proof coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

bluewolf wrote: »
    God I'd love a croissant

I see your croissant, and raise you a chocolate almond croissant.... so tasty

latest?cb=20121116203004

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I would love to be able to eat a croissant & coffee everyday for breakfast, a chocolate croissant & vanilla skinny latte in particular Drooooooooool. I did for a good 6 months & felt my clothes slowly getting tighter but chose to ignore it, then I stepped on the scales a couple of months ago & convinced myself that it was lying to me! I'm not saying that the croissant/pastries in the morning is the only factor in my weight gain but it is a big factor. If I start the day on a healthy note I am more inclined to stick to it through the day! I try keep it as a treat breakfast if I am out & about on the weekends now. It's a lot easier to gain it than it is to loose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The latte and croissant come in at about 540 kcals.

Maybe if you live in America where the smallest coffee in Starbucks comes in a bucket.
    But in the rest of the world it's probably not that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,412 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is the crosiant plain? Or what do you have with it?

Do you really make the brown bread ?

Mellor wrote: »
    Maybe if you live in America where the smallest coffee in Starbucks comes in a bucket.
    But in the rest of the world it's probably not that bad.

The values for Starbucks are from their Irish site. The Grande (16 fl oz) latte, made with whole milk is 223 kcals. The short (8 fl oz) made with skimmed milk is 67. A mid-range average of 140 is reasonable.

Maybe 400 is on the high side for a croissant but that depends on size. A mid-size one would still be about 320 kcals.

The values for Starbucks are from their Irish site. The Grande (16 fl oz) latte, made with whole milk is 223 kcals. The short (8 fl oz) made with skimmed milk is 67. A mid-range average of 140 is reasonable.
    Starbucks are standardised internationally. The American site will prob have the same calories.
    The issue is that 16oz is a pint. That's a ridiculous sized coffee ('Murcia). It's not part of the normal range imo.
    From memory, a regular latte is 100cals at any of the cafes near me.
    Maybe 400 is on the high side for a croissant but that depends on size. A mid-size one would still be about 320 kcals.
    I imagine you can get them from 200 to 400 and beyond. Comes down to the OP's addiction

Mellor wrote: »
    The issue is that 16oz is a pint. That's a ridiculous sized coffee ('Murcia). It's not part of the normal range imo

Tall is 12oz, Grande is 16oz. If you ask for regular, you get Tall.

In Costa the 'Medio' is 450ml and a latte with skimmed milk is 141 kcal. With whole milk it's 201 kcals.

In Insomnia, the smallest size is the Tall (12 oz/450 ml). They use low-fat milk as standard and a latte is 140 kcal.

From what I've observed anyway, the 16oz cup isn't considered ridiculous by a lot of people.

If that the standard, then your numbers are right.
    Maybe because the whole espresso based coffee option is a more recent thing in ireland, that they all just adopted the tall/grande/bucket. But pretty sure a traditional cappuchino/latte etc is supposed to be smaller. It's to do with the ratios to a espresso shot.

Now that I think about it, I stopping in Costa driving up the M1 last I was home. Grabbed regular coffee and I remember thinking she must have given me a large the size of the thing. Evidently not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Croissants are roughly 400 calories per 100g. A small one would be about 180 calories & a large about 280.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Doesnt sound like the best way to spend your calories, but overall, the rest of your day seems light.

Would maybe suggest switching your latte to a cappuccino as it should be a bit lower in calories, but just as nice in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Un croissant, s'il vous plait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Wild French girl appeared, pokeball go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco Finest Butter Jumbo Croissant 316kcal

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=283846240

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco Finest Butter Jumbo Croissant 316kcal

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=283846240

That's interesting. The Tesco croissant linked above is 316kcal for 72g.

An all butter croissant from M&S is only 118 kcal for 75g.

That's quite a difference between croissants that are almost the same weight, and not just in terms of calories either....

Croissant | Tesco | M&S
    Portion | 72g | 75g
    Energy | 316kcal | 118kcal
    Fat | 18.8g | 7g
    Saturates | 11.8g | 4.7g
    Carbohydrate | 29.5g | 11g
    Sugars | 4.3g | 1.4g
    Fibre | 1.4g | 0.7g
    Protein | 6.5g | 2.6g

I can't find the ingredients for the M&S croissant, but here is the link to the nutritional info.
    Here are the ingredients for the Tesco croissant: Wheat Flour, Unsalted Butter (Milk) (28%), Sugar, Yeast, Water, Pasteurised Whole Egg, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Yeast Powder, Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid).

How are the two croissants so different?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

An all butter croissant from M&S is only 118 kcal for 75g.

How are the two croissants so different?
    Pretty sure its a mistake. I see lots of obvious mistakes in info like this. The pain au chocolat also seems to have incorrect figures.

Here is another M&S page and a croissant is 420kcal per 100g.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/00/00/01/94/61/63/194616342.pdf

rubadub wrote: »
    Pretty sure its a mistake. I see lots of obvious mistakes in info like this. The pain au chocolat also seems to have incorrect figures.

Here is another M&S page and a croissant is 420kcal per 100g.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/00/00/01/94/61/63/194616342.pdf

Yeah you are most likely right that M&S have their nutritional info wrong.

And here was me looking forward to scoffing a few croissants from M&S in the morning :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

The gram values should add up to 70 ish and they are way off.

Advertisement