Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing after exercise

Options
  • 23-03-2016 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

I know this is trivial. I know! But I am so so cold for hours after exercise and it is cracking me up... I've started going to the gym lately working with a trainer. So I do 20 mins on the cross trainer, either 150 squats or 300 steps up on a box, leg machines, hand machine, rowing machine and then some work on my wrist (I broke it badly in Oct) then sit ups and I go home. About 90 minutes in the gym. I go for a shower as soon as I get home but I'm still freezing: I left the gym 2 hours ago and am literally still shivering. Im desperately unfit and trying to change it so maybe it will improve as I get fitter? Anyone any tips to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Believe it or not it's the timing of the shower that does this.

When I go to the gym , my body heat is way up when I'm finished and I shower immediatly before going home , body temperature is normal by the time I'm walking out the door and I don't get that cold snap.

When I play football , I shower when I get home which is around 45 minutes later by the time I get to the shower I'm freezing and when I'm out I'm still cold..

I don't know why but that's what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Having a shower there isn't an option so guess I need to put up with it! It's awful I was so so cold last night I was wearing pjs, a hoody, socks, and a dressing gown in bed :D hoping it will improve the better I get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

cyning wrote: »
    Having a shower there isn't an option so guess I need to put up with it! It's awful I was so so cold last night I was wearing pjs, a hoody, socks, and a dressing gown in bed :D hoping it will improve the better I get!

Change out of sweaty wet training gear before leaving gym and eat as soon as you can.

Are you running a big deficit?

Are you sedentary for the night after you get home?

I get it after really long bike rides where I've a huge daily deficit, maybe 6000 cals. Getting out of damp gear and eating ASAP are best medicine.

Moving is best way to raise body temperature normally

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ford2600 wrote: »
    I get it after really long bike rides where I've a huge daily deficit, maybe 6000 cals.

6000 cal deficit?
    How far and how long are you riding for? And why aren't you eating.

Mellor wrote: »
    6000 cal deficit?
    How far and how long are you riding for? And why aren't you eating.

Audax riding which is very long distance and unsupported, for me it's optimal for that type of riding but a bad idea if you want to go fast over and 80km race or whatever.

Distances range from 200km to 600km; I normally introduce food around 120km-140km and even at that very little. I just eat when hungry, which isn't often.

On flat routes, say 2000m climbing over 400km I'll diesel away at 28km/h and barely stop, on a lumpy routes with double that climbing pace would drop to km/h.

Why would you bother?
    *no hope of GI distress
    * Less time stopped meaning and average lower power average, less fatigue
    * no need for toilet stops (always a good thing on a bike :))

I rarely actually track but did last year for a 400km, food came in just under 1900 cals for day, which was mainly just whole food with a little sugary carbs when I felt like it.

Really only suited to the ultra world(body down regulates it's ability to use glycogen-as it's not getting much!). Not a keto diet btw just low carb diet around cycling training with fasted training and diet pretty carby around strength sessions

See here
    http://sigmanutrition.com/episode86/

here is the link to Irish guy who won the Spine Race in UK in January
    https://eoinkeith.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/the-spine-race-2016-nutriton/

The best bit is filling back a 6000cals deficit in 36hrs :D

Sorry OP off topic

• Advertisement

Not at all that sounds amazing!

Not running at a massive kcal deficit I would think: trainer said not to eat after gym I don't finish until around 930, home, shower and bed! Can't have a shower there and literally live less than a two minute drive home :)

It's driving me cracked though

Not at all that sounds amazing!

Not running at a massive kcal deficit I would think: trainer said not to eat after gym I don't finish until around 930, home, shower and bed! Can't have a shower there and literally live less than a two minute drive home :)

It's driving me cracked though

Why are you not eating after gym? If you want to recover well eating well is key. Your finishing late, and too much food will effect sleep but I'd be eating something. Your body needs protein and sleep to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

To me it sounds like your blood sugar might be getting a bit low?

Have you mentioned getting cold to your coach?

I don't want to contradict what he's aiming for too much but i suggest you run it by him and have a small snack (100-200 calories maybe?) after finishing.

Try this a couple of times and if it makes a difference then you have your answer.

Would he told me not to eat seem like a really stupid answer? I'm not being smart genuinely he told me not to eat that it was too late and it would be better if I didn't. Will tell him about getting cold when I'm there the next day... I've never gone to the gym really before let alone do weights etc and it's difficult but really am trying at it but think I get very very hot doing cross trainer, squats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ford2600 wrote: »
    Why would you bother?
    *no hope of GI distress
    * Less time stopped meaning and average lower power average, less fatigue
    * no need for toilet stops (always a good thing on a bike :))
    I get that less stops is an easy way to improve distance. But wouldn't the performance needed to make up for a stop be quite small over a long distance.
    I rarely actually track but did last year for a 400km, food came in just under 1900 cals for day, which was mainly just whole food with a little sugary carbs when I felt like it.
    What sort of calories would be 400km burn?
    I don't think I'd enjoy that :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Would he told me not to eat seem like a really stupid answer? I'm not being smart genuinely he told me not to eat that it was too late and it would be better if I didn't. Will tell him about getting cold when I'm there the next day... I've never gone to the gym really before let alone do weights etc and it's difficult but really am trying at it but think I get very very hot doing cross trainer, squats etc.

I don't fully agree with it but I don't think it's stupid - there's more than one way to skin a cat.

My guess is only a guess but it sounds like you may be working a bit hard to go completely without eating afterwards.

IF it is this and it bothers you enough that it might put you off keeping up your routine then a small snack could be a good compromise.

You'll work it out with a bit of experimentation - but definitely keep the coach on board too.

Mellor wrote: »
    I get that less stops is an easy way to improve distance. But wouldn't the performance needed to make up for a stop be quite small over a long distance.

What sort of calories would be 400km burn?
    I don't think I'd enjoy that :P

If the clock starts when alarm goes off(which is does it real world) not having breakfast is 15mins saved. On a 200km last year my total time stopped was 27mins, most guys will struggle to keep that under an hour. 300km I'll stop less than an hour.

For the same total time I can go a little slower; over multi day events anything that limits fatigue is key. By dropping average a little but stopping way less works well for me. Stopping longer than 15mins is counter productive anyway for me.

100km uses 2000cals or so; a bike is an efficent device!

Cortisol, muscle loss etc is the one big downside but multi day events are rare and I haven't had any difficult, I do mind myself with regards to recovery i.e. eat/sleep/rest a lot:)

Log here if interested

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057552927

EDIT if you have any input here I'm all ears!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98748902&postcount=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Your over worked and under fed, your going to get sick if you keep it up

Advertisement