Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorse fires West Cork - What on earth??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

kingchess wrote: »
    I suppose it is the attitude that if you can burn up to March 1st then shure what harm if you burn 15 or 20 days later,and do those 20 days later have a much greater impact??

March to september is nesting period.

Also lots of animals are having their young around now (as any farmer wouod know). Higher chance of killing the young and the females.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

kingchess wrote: »
    I suppose it is the attitude that if you can burn up to March 1st then shure what harm if you burn 15 or 20 days later,and do those 20 days later have a much greater impact??

there is no sense to that "attitude".. more like.. "we don't care - we will what we need to and to hell with the eco system"..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

sporina wrote: »
    there is no sense to that "attitude".. more like.. "we don't care - we will what we need to and to hell with the eco system"..

That local Gardai seemingly don't have a bull's notion of who is doing it just goes to show how far down the list of priorities it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

This has started again.
    Some "spectacular" pics of gougane barra on Facebook and twitter.
    Hope nobody is hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Spotted it alright looks like it went well out of control... Seen a few images of animals that didnt survive such a shame

• Advertisement

i read in the farmers journal that it was not started deliberately but it did start on a farmers land..
    poor animals.. some sheep have died

i read in the farmers journal that it was not started deliberately but it did start on a farmers land..
    poor animals.. some sheep have died

Not started deliberately? How do they know?

Not started deliberately? How do they know?

thats what the hotel owner said and the reporter from the farmers journal - i don't know

thats what they always say.. i wish someone would just fess up..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very good drone photo of the aftermath of the Gouganebarra fire on this company's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/MunsterDroneServices/

• Advertisement

thats what the hotel owner said and the reporter from the farmers journal - i don't know

Two very unbiased sources no doubt.

Two very unbiased sources no doubt.

perhaps..

more in sligo yesterday i heard on the news..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

perhaps..

more i sligo yesterday i heard on the news..

Also one happening in the Curragh as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Heard there was one in Wicklow too? One last weekend in Sligo and another the last few days. 4000 acres burned last weekend and about 1000 this week.. Driest weather we've had in ages. Not necessarily people starting them, could be as simple as sun shining through a broken bottle! Scary though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

I drove from limerick to Portlaoise last week. Counted 8 fires just started on the mountains. All equally spaced bottles I suppose? If haybarns were burnt, it would be a different story. Hasn't Ms. Humphrys been very quiet about this. Prosecutions to follow, no doubt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

The boardwalk on cuilcagh mountain is under threat as gorse fires out of control.

A video from the Galway one, it must be huge...http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/watch-incredible-videos-show-extent-10391751

I really hope this one was an accident and the area it covers is just crazy... We are in loughrea and the smoke reached us I thought it was fog coming in for the evening until we went out and smelt the smoke...

its terrible - i actually hope it rains so that they can be put out.. (and its foreign for me to wish for rain)

no word about causes - but from what I have heard, they seem to be natural as oppose to man made...

I heard the opposite up here on the radio they said they were set deliberately

Advertisement