Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warming up for weight training?

Options
  • 21-03-2016 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

I've come across so much conflicting advice online in relation to this issue. I don't expect anything different on here but at least I can take part in the conversation to try make sense of it.

I've been lifting weights for the past 5 weeks (although I've lifted in the past) but I haven't been warming up and I want to start in case I get injured.

I'm following Old-School Trainer's 'Pull/Pull/Legs' routine (with the exception of one exercise; I've added barbell curls), so it's almost all compound exercises.

Monday:

Barbell bench press
    Barbell shoulder press
    Close-grip bench press

Wednesday:

Deadlifts
    Barbell rows
    Barbell curls

Friday:

Squats
    Lunges
    Calf-raises

All exercises are 5 sets x 5 reps, excluding warm up sets.

I'm also doing some ab and forearm work.

Can someone help with a warm up routine that's appropriate for this routine?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Do some lighter sets prior to your working weight. Always worked for me.

Eg. If you bench 60 kg. Do a set of 10 @ 20 kg, 8 @ 30 kg, 5 @ 40 kg, 5 @ 50 kg, and then start your workout. You don't really need to rest between warm-ups so it shouldn't take too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

eet fuk wrote: »

Eg. If you bench 60 kg. Do a set of 10 @ 20 kg, 8 @ 30 kg, 5 @ 40 kg, 5 @ 50 kg, and then start your workout. You don't really need to rest between warm-ups so it shouldn't take too long.

Thanks, I've come across that method at the weekend and it sounds perfect for me.

On the other hand, some people insist on some sort of cardio and stretching?

The amount of different information out there is mind-boggling, and it all comes dressed up in technical language as if it's irrefutable!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If in doubt, for warm ups;

Lower Body: Joe DeFranco Limber 11
    Upper Body: Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm Up

Then build the weight progressively over 3-5 sets until you hit your heaviest weights for the day.

Don't worry about cardio before hand. It does nothing.

Warm ups should be specific to the task at hand. Running in no way replicates the movements or patterns required for deadlifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

eet fuk wrote: »

This is exactly what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hanley wrote: »
    Lower Body: Joe DeFranco Limber 11
    Upper Body: Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm Up

Then build the weight progressively over 3-5 sets until you hit your heaviest weights for the day.
    +1 for the above

Cardio is not a good warm up.
    Stretching as most people learned in school is not very good.
    The dynamic stretching in the above routines is infinitely better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement