Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I quit Herbalife after a week

Options
  • 21-03-2016 9:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20

The missus and I ware waaay overweight so we decided to give Herbalife a try.

We met up with one of the reps last week in a tiny office over a taxi company. The office also doubles up for Yoga classes. We knew this as one was going on as we had our meeting.

The rep had to rush as there were two of us, so I helped fill in the forms as we went.

We did a weighing, you know the usual stuff body fat percentage, metabolic age, visceral fat etc. etc.

This was interesting to me as I had the same thing done at gym induction session last week. The results were unsurprising - I am an obese man slowly breaking out of a fat man's body.

We were offered a couple of free protein bars (which tasted of cardboard) and a cup of aloe-vera flavoured warm water (which tasted very nice actually!) Cynical part of me suspects this was to soften us up to the idea of buying their products as it's a common marketing ploy to gift a freebie then ask for a subscription.

We were told to start off with some special tea and milkshakes, mixed with berries in the mornings, then just use common sense for lunch and dinner.

If any of you have used this system before I apologise (indeed I only signed up because one of my partner's relatives has lost LOTS of weight doing this) but I just couldn't eat the stuff they recommended, the shake tasted awful though it might be the protein supplement that you're supposed to add to it.

Anyway long story short I'm 200 Euro poorer, got a lot of milkshakes I can't eat. Herbalife seem very engaged, asking us to keep food diary and join their Whatsapp group.

The thing is : I CBA to walk to the suburbs once a week just for a pep talk and to get weighed, especially when going to the gym three times a week. It'd be easier with a car but it's an hour I could be spending at the gym or with my girl.

Instead my partner and I have decided to do as follows:

- Install the free "My fitness" app on our phones to log our food. The app also tells you your daily calorie allowance and you can even scan barcodes on food packets so you know exactly how many calories it has.
    - Buy protein supplements, herbal tea and milkshakes from local health food store for half the price Herbalife are charging. We'll also use the Herbalife stuff she's already bought.
    - Bought a fancy set of scales from Argos which tell you in addition to your weight your body fat percentage etc.

So really we are sort of mimicking their system.

The Herbalife guy has rung us a couple of times and tried to message on Whatsapp but we plan to fade into the background. I think what they're selling is too expensive.

If what they're offering works for you though and you need someone to keep you motivated by all means go for it. Knowing my Dad had a heart attack at 45 and quadruple bypass at 49 is enough motivation for me.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

What will get you into shape is a consistent approach to your diet coupled with a good exercise program that will allow you to keep training and progressing without injury. A good diet does not need to encompass a sh*t-ton of supplements sold to you at a ridiculous price accompanied with a load of sales technique. Herbalife is essentially a network marketing ploy to peddle you stuff you don't need at prices significantly higher than you can buy elsewhere.

If you do start using protein supplements (and they are great for convenience) then buy a generic one off myprotein.com and save yourself a fortune. Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Refor1981

FTA69 wrote: »
    What will get you into shape is a consistent approach to your diet coupled with a good exercise program that will allow you to keep training and progressing without injury. A good diet does not need to encompass a sh*t-ton of supplements sold to you at a ridiculous price accompanied with a load of sales technique. Herbalife is essentially a network marketing ploy to peddle you stuff you don't need at prices significantly higher than you can buy elsewhere.

If you do start using protein supplements (and they are great for convenience) then buy a generic one off myprotein.com and save yourself a fortune. Best of luck.

thanks for the tip bro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Best of luck

Advertisement