Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking a desktop motherboard

Options
  • 15-03-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

The Intro:

I have an Asus p6x58d-e.
    I have tried doing everything to see if I could get it to work ( different psu, cpu, ram)
    The main problem with it is a power delivery issue, when I plug in the 24pin cable the power light on the board flashes twice every 3 seconds or so.
    This is been tested outside the case on the motherboard box with nothing else plugged in except 24pin power ( so no cpu, ram etc)
    I am pretty sure the psu is cutting the power ( as a fail safe ) because you can hear ticking from the 2 working psu I have tried.

The Reflow:

Since it does not work at all, instead of just selling it on ebay for 20 euro I may as well try to fix it.
    In the past I have baked dead graphics cards in the oven ( 9800gt and gtx 280 ) and they still work perfectly to this day.
    But, I have never baked an entire desktop motherboard so what I would like to know is:

1: If I should even do it at all
    2: How should I do it ( temps, time etc)
    3: Best way of baking it ( what way should it be prepared to put into the oven )
    4: If I should buy a separate toaster oven to bake it in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I have no advice other than you need to use a seperate oven. Popping your pizza in there after using it for this is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 OnlyOptical

I did hear about that, that you're supposed to use an oven that you are never going to cook food in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

"Oh sure, I'll just get the one I keep in my other pants..."

Keep us posted!

To be fair you should be able to get an oven fairly handy if you're nince to someone in Powercity/DID and get something out of the WEEE bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This is been tested outside the case on the motherboard box with nothing else plugged in except 24pin power ( so no cpu, ram etc)

Nothing much is going to happen like that. You need to plug in CPU and RAM (and not just the 24 pin power cable onto the motherboard, but also the 4 pin power cable) and make sure your power button is connected properly to the mobo

Funny that you have another "dead" mobo in this thread here:

Linky

Motherboards rarely just stop working like that. And definitely not twice in a year. It is far more likely something in your setup is not right or some other parts aren't working imho...

Did you test the PSU, there are handy little cheap tools for this out there, I find them very good.

• Advertisement

Firstly the other dead motherboard was some other Asus socket 775 board in a completely different computer so other psu, case, etc. ( I don't know why that one died )

I said that I tested it with nothing else plugged in because the outcome is still the same no matter what is plugged in or out.
    So even if I do put in the CPU and RAM and the 8pin cpu connector I just get the exact same flashing power led.
    ( so I cant turn on the pc if it cant even get stable power )

I do not have a power supply tester but I bought a brand new EVGA 500w power supply only a month ago to test this, also the other power supply was a corsair 500w so they are both good brands.

These power supplies work fine in my other builds (Q6600, i5 750) so unless there is some other problem the power supplies are fine.

Also I don't have to use an oven do I? why not just a toaster oven. They're about 50 euro off Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Post a good quality picture. minimum cables obscuring view. 45 degree angle if possible. want a good view of your capacitors.

bulging tops or bent over is good sign they need more investigation.

Before you guys say it, I know the cmos battery is missing. ( so it was in the motherboard when I was testing it) I just took it out because I didn't want a battery to explode in my motherboard if I baked it.

Anyway its better to have more than one picture so here.

Images links ( spaced out because I cant post pictures or links )
    http ://i.imgur.com/AEVF4ke.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/9A1Ob0p.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/ZlKnLke.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/HKgBZhI.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/kt5aBb1.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/0SxxLcq.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/9LG4vtJ.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/Q8K0UOk.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/yAGKwKd.jpg
    http ://i.imgur.com/5VGtoBS.jpg

So have you ever had this board working?

Does you new power supply have the 24x and the 8x plugs.
    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/671937/Asus-P6x58de.html?page=55#manual
    Do not forget to connect the 8-pin EATX12 V power plug; otherwise, the system will
    not boot

I got this motherboard for about 25 euro, it was win or lose. So no I have not got it working myself but 25 is not a huge loss anyway so if it does not work and burns up the motherboard ill just mount it on the wall. ( I know the psu, ram and cpu are working )

Both the working power supplies I have tested have an 8pin cpu but this motherboard would function with 4pin anyway.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have no advice other than you need to use a seperate oven. Popping your pizza in there after using it for this is not a good idea.
    I did hear about that, that you're supposed to use an oven that you are never going to cook food in again.

Never stopped me, so far nobody in the family has died.

Only issue I see is the amount of plastic on a mobo is significantly more than on a stripped GPU. PCI slots might be less heat resistant than 6Pins and memory ICs.

180*C
    6 Minutes
    Mount it on tinfoil, place on backing tray
    Don't remove when you're done, turn off the oven and half open the door so it cools slowly.

Firstly:
    The problem is not that simple, this motherboard does not even receive power, as I said in my original post the power led flashes twice every 3 seconds or so.

so no power = no post = no beep codes

Next:
    Thanks for your reply on how to bake the motherboard, I guess I will just strip it down as much as I can, clean it off and attempt this later.
    I think the best way I can show if this works or not is just to upload a vid on preparing, baking and if it even worked at all.

one last thing to try.
    with all powers plugged in, short (i usually use a malformed paperclip to do this) the green wire on 24x plug with any black lead.

Hold it like this for about 30 seconds.

If you are saying to use this on a power supply then I already have a connector (that it came with ) made for this.
    So I just tested it on the psu and it was fine, fan spinning and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Solder melts at around 240 degrees. Your not fixing the board, your moving around the substrate on a messed up chip. 5 minutes.in the ovem , but even if it works you should telace it anyway. Its on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Solder melts at around 240 degrees. Your not fixing the board, your moving around the substrate on a messed up chip. 5 minutes.in the ovem , but even if it works you should telace it anyway. Its on the way out.

^This.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    ^This.

Missing the point.

When the device is either BIN or BAKE, BAKE IT.

When the device is either RMA/REPAIR or BAKE, DO NOT BAKE.

I've revived 2x 8800GTXs this way, one of them 3x. Easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've fixed an old graphics card by baking it, it's far from a myth. I've done it around 3 times and it worked every time.

200c for 5-10 minutes. Just keep ventilation on in the kitchen and vent out your oven properly before using it for food again.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I've fixed an old graphics card by baking it, it's far from a myth. I've done it around 3 times and it worked every time.

200c for 5-10 minutes. Just keep ventilation on in the kitchen and vent out your oven properly before using it for food again.

If there is no other option, go for it. But it doesn't really fix the problem. The chip is still broken and could easily go again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If there is no other option, go for it. But it doesn't really fix the problem. The chip is still broken and could easily go again..

Yah it lasted a few months then needed to be done again. Short term solution really when there is no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Used to do this with boards from xbox 360s when they'd get the rrod, I'm still alive and kicking and so are a few of the xbox's :)

If you are saying to use this on a power supply then I already have a connector (that it came with ) made for this.
    So I just tested it on the psu and it was fine, fan spinning and no issues.

I am suggesting putting in cpu / ram / gfx if needed.
    wire the psu into both 24x and 8x.
    plug power into psu and turn it on.

Try power up board. At this point you are saying it is failing.

use paper clip to short the green wire on the 24x and the nearest black wire.

This will force power into the board. Leave it like this for 30 seconds. Before giving up. Then try to power board up as normal.

Squaredude wrote: »
    Used to do this with boards from xbox 360s when they'd get the rrod, I'm still alive and kicking and so are a few of the xbox's :)

The reason this works on XBOX RLOD is due to the bad design of the board.
    It uses BGA (ball grid array) to connect the graphics chip and cpu chip to the board. the chips can heat up enough (usually due to another issue, bad heat extraction) and the solder gets hot enough to flow and unconect a joint or two. By baking this board, you are reflowing the bga that connects the chips to the mainboard. fixing the issue.

There is a zero insertion force socket onboard the motherboard. the only things that are getting reflowed is the surface mount components. Good luck with that, but make sure to try all other options first.

If xbox and playstation had used these sockets in their consoles there would be no RLOD and YLOD problems. (or a huge percentage fewer)

sKeith wrote: »
    The reason this works on XBOX RLOD is due to the bad design of the board.
    It uses BGA (ball grid array) to connect the graphics chip and cpu chip to the board. the chips can heat up enough (usually due to another issue, bad heat extraction) and the solder gets hot enough to flow and unconect a joint or two. By baking this board, you are reflowing the bga that connects the chips to the mainboard. fixing the issue.

There is a zero insertion force socket onboard the motherboard. the only things that are getting reflowed is the surface mount components. Good luck with that, but make sure to try all other options first.

If xbox and playstation had used these sockets in their consoles there would be no RLOD and YLOD problems. (or a huge percentage fewer)

Solder Melts around 240. Heating the whole board to 240 would mean the components on the bottom would fall off. Your not reflowing anything. Your expanding and contractor a messed up microchip in the hopes that what had started touching when it shouldn't, stops touching.

Solder Melts around 240. Heating the whole board to 240 would mean the components on the bottom would fall off. Your not reflowing anything. Your expanding and contractor a messed up microchip in the hopes that what had started touching when it shouldn't, stops touching.

My other suggestion about forcing power through the board also addresses this 'touching when it shouldn't' in a much more targeted way.

@ ED E - My mother smoked for 50+ years, so far it hasn't killed her - whether it will or not eventually remains to be seen! :pac:

Advertisement