Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc parts won't power up?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I am upgrading most of a Dell Dimension (only keeping CPU and RAM).I bought a secondhand motherboard, GPU and PSU. Problem I have is there is a green light on the motherboard indicating there is power but it wont start up.

CPU:Intel Core2duo
    RAM:Generic ddr2 4gb
    PSU:Alpine 550 wt
    GPU: MSI 7790
    MOBO: Asus P5E-VM DO

I tested the gpu, psu and ram so they all work. I also reset the cmos.
    Any ideas what the problem might be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I am upgrading most of a Dell Dimension (only keeping CPU and RAM).I bought a secondhand motherboard, GPU and PSU. Problem I have is there is a green light on the motherboard indicating there is power but it wont start up.

CPU:Intel Core2duo
    RAM:Generic ddr2 4gb
    PSU:Alpine 550 wt
    GPU: MSI 7790
    MOBO: Asus P5E-VM DO

I tested the gpu, psu and ram so they all work. I also reset the cmos.
    Any ideas what the problem might be?

Is the power and reset switch connected properly to the mobo?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 OnlyOptical

Not using one, I would just connect them with a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are you sure the 8 pin CPU plug is connected?

It is a 4 pin and yes it is plugged in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nothing on the display? Try without the GPU

• Advertisement

I already have but it wont turn on, eg fans wont even spin

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What happens when you boot with no RAM installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

1) Are you sure the PSU works? That Alpine 550W is a heap of junk and I would not use one with a 7790 system. Anything over about 200w with that and you're risking blowing it.

2) The 7790 requires a six-pin connection, it won't post without it, I doubt the Alpine even has a native six-pin connector. You can use a molex connector, but keeping point 1 in mind.

3) Does the chipset support whatever Core 2 Model you're using? If so, perhaps it requires a bios update before it will recognise the processor.

4) The motherboard could just be plain faulty of course...

I may have done something to the motherboard because when I first got it everything did work and I was able to get into the bios. I have tested all the parts but the motherboard in another computer and they all seem to work, so more than likely I have static charged the motherboard or something else like that.

I may have done something to the motherboard because when I first got it everything did work and I was able to get into the bios. I have tested all the parts but the motherboard in another computer and they all seem to work, so more than likely I have static charged the motherboard or something else like that.

It would be hard enough to damage a mobo in my opinion mate I wouldn't think static would be a main concern unless you were rubbing your hands all over it or what not.

• Advertisement

Well I not sure what could of happened any more, When I got this no response problem before I just re-plugged the power supply. That would make the fans would spin and stop in an endless loop but then I reset the cmos so now it does nothing.

Well I not sure what could of happened any more, When I got this no response problem before I just re-plugged the power supply. That would make the fans would spin and stop in an endless loop but then I reset the cmos so now it does nothing.

When you reset the cmos did u just remove the battery or did u use the jumper to reset? also a quick check on your mobo model number shows that it has a prolem after been left in sleep mode or suspend mode and it needs another psu to get it going again, i donno if any of that applies to you or maybe you have tried itnalready but it may be worth a try.

When I reset the cmos I removed the battery. I also was not able to find any problems for the board not starting after being in sleep mode. Just to ask what do you mean by needing another psu to get in going?

When I reset the cmos I removed the battery. I also was not able to find any problems for the board not starting after being in sleep mode. Just to ask what do you mean by needing another psu to get in going?

I did a quick search on your board and a few pople had a problem with it not powering up similar to you and they swapped out the psu with another one and it boot up but when they tried their original psu it worked perfect again too if that makes any sense to you.

I have tested all the parts but the motherboard in another computer
    Plug the working computers PSU into the "faulty" motherboard, and try that? As TerrorFirmer has said, it could be the PSU.

Well I just unplugged the alpine and the 7790, put in a no brand 350wt and basically nothing happened it still just has the green light.

Hrm. This is annoying me now! :D You don't live near Leixlip by any chance? Have a PCI card that helps tell me (via LED things on the card) what the fault is, once the mobo gets power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

the_syco wrote: »
    Have a PCI card that helps tell me (via LED things on the card) what the fault is, once the mobo gets power.

Witchcraft!

Sadly I am in Cork, but thanks for the offer.

OK I just decided that I might aswell get a new motherboard so now I have a new one.
    Thanks for the help but sadly the old one still does not work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement