Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on alternative program

Options
  • 15-03-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I am looking to build strength and bulk up a bit for the GAA season. I am 11 stone and would like to put on a stone. So here is my problem.
    Basically the max amount of time I get to spend in the gym is 30-35 minutes during lunch and I go three days a week. During that time this is what I have been doing for the past 4/5 weeks. 3*5 squats, 3*5 bench press, 1*5 dead lift and finish off with 3*8 dips/pull-ups. The problem is there is only one barbell stand for squats, bench press etc and the gym is obviously very busy at lunch. Could anyone suggest a program that would split the compound lifts up to one per day (meaning I'm not hogging the barbell or waiting for someone to finish there set on the barbell) and what other exercises to do.
    I'm new to weight training and these compound lifts were just suggested by a mate, so I don't really know of an alternative program that would suit me. I know its not a lot of time but I just want to be able to get the most out of the half hour I get in the gym. My fitness is good so I just want to solely concentrate on weights while I'm in the gym.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well for the time frame I'd be recommending the 5 x 5 program for starting strength , which is similar to what you are doing now.

What about using a bench and dumb bells for the bench press if the rack isn't available?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You could also have a goo at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

You could also have a goo at this.

I'm sorry but I haven't a clue what the guy is suggesting in that program. It's like double dutch to a beginner like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Well for the time frame I'd be recommending the 5 x 5 program for starting strength , which is similar to what you are doing now.

What about using a bench and dumb bells for the bench press if the rack isn't available?

Ya looked at that very similar to what I am doing. Is there no benefit to using the barbell over the dumbbell when doing bench press. Thanks for suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

kevin306 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I haven't a clue what the guy is suggesting in that program. It's like double dutch to a beginner like me.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure how much of a beginner you were.

Suggestions for each movement given throughout the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

kevin306 wrote: »
    Ya looked at that very similar to what I am doing. Is there no benefit to using the barbell over the dumbbell when doing bench press. Thanks for suggestion.

Not really, people will give you differant views on that. Some people feel that you can load a little more weight on the barbell press as you don't have as much work in balancing the weights off the ground and up, you just lift and push the bar from the rack.

I use Dumb bells myself , I feel you can compensate the weight by being able to get a lower contraction just below the chest as the bar isn't impeding you at chest level...and I like having to balance the weight, can also switch in between reps/sets on close/wide grip...

So give it a go, easier than waiting around...

Advertisement