Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW31 Captain

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Torn between Kane, Siggy and...err....Williams.

The memory of Kolo Toure having the freedom of the box against Villa is still fresh in my mind

this genuinely crossed my mind last night as well..........and it's the 530 TV game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

King Kane it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Changed from Siggy to Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Kane c, with Siggy vc!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Umm...Aguero? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Gone with Aguero myself.

City are usually very good at home and tge united defence is still a shambles. The LVG situation makes any team playing against them even more favourable in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Seen a few Siggy conversations in the match day thread but figured I'd be better placed posting my thoughts on it here.

I never really saw the Siggy captain appeal this week. I think people got heavily caught up in the Villa factor and ignored that Swansea aren't very good either.

Siggy had been involved in 11 goals before the weekend where Kane had been involved in 21 and I don't think Swansea as a team could have had a higher goals expectation than Spurs.

Both players were on form but I always felt that Kane was the one capable of explosive returns and in the end Siggy was actually lucky to come out with a scandalous assist.

I think the captain against Villa idea only really works as a strategy where the team is a) good b) at home. In other scenarios there will usually be other better options.

Siggy strikes me as a never bench, never captain type player. Him scoring 2 goals (even being involved in 2 goals) in a week is exceptionally rare.

My intention is not to rub it in to people who've been burnt by Kane today, more my thoughts on the Villa strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

CSF wrote: »
    Seen a few Siggy conversations in the match day thread but figured I'd be better placed posting my thoughts on it here.

I never really saw the Siggy captain appeal this week. I think people got heavily caught up in the Villa factor and ignored that Swansea aren't very good either.

Siggy had been involved in 11 goals before the weekend where Kane had been involved in 21 and I don't think Swansea as a team could have had a higher goals expectation than Spurs.

Both players were on form but I always felt that Kane was the one capable of explosive returns and in the end Siggy was actually lucky to come out with a scandalous assist.

I think the captain against Villa idea only really works as a strategy where the team is a) good b) at home. In other scenarios there will usually be other better options.

Siggy strikes me as a never bench, never captain type player. Him scoring 2 goals (even being involved in 2 goals) in a week is exceptionally rare.

My intention is not to rub it in to people who've been burnt by Kane today, more my thoughts on the Villa strategy.

I was looking at him due to his recent double figure hauls but yeah I fully agree with you. Nail on the head. You want to be able to trust your captain being able to score 2-3 in a favourable game and Kane had that. Like Kun v Norwich it doesn't always work but over the course of the season youre better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I was looking at him due to his recent double figure hauls but yeah I fully agree with you. Nail on the head. You want to be able to trust your captain being able to score 2-3 in a favourable game and Kane had that. Like Kun v Norwich it doesn't always work but over the course of the season youre better off.

Never considered Siggy either. Never considered anyone but Kane except for the 2 minutes from 11.43 to 11.45 yesterday.

stephenl15 wrote: »

That'd be my thoughts too. I can live with my captain failing if I can genuinely say I felt there was the potential for 2 or 3 goals from the player but I just checked there and Siggy hasn't been involved in 2 goals in a game this season and that would be an immediate red light for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

FHFC wrote: »
    Never considered Siggy either. Never considered anyone but Kane except for the 2 minutes from 11.43 to 11.45 yesterday.

Well I was strongly considering him in fairness but Kane was always in poll position. With Kane and Aguero getting big hauls v Villa plus Siggys form it was hard to ignore the villa factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

This is the time of the season too where those slightly behind will have to make non-conventional decisions to gain ground in their leagues. Captaining Kane would have brought them no closer to their leading rivals who are likely to captain Kane. Siggurson was a sensible gamble and at least he did something.

This is the time of the season too where those slightly behind will have to make non-conventional decisions to gain ground in their leagues. Captaining Kane would have brought them no closer to their leading rivals who are likely to captain Kane. Siggurson was a sensible gamble and at least he did something.

To be honest I think Aguero was the sensible gamble this week if you were needing to avoid Kane this week. Aguero at home is always worth a couple of goals whereas Sigurdsson never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

:rolleyes: eh...where does that make sense? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

CSF wrote: »

Being away and focused on something else (:D) the whole last week, I'd have loved to read such a post in my episodic forum reading.

Ah well. My decision. My lazy believing in this "stupid" Villa factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭LostArt

I'm not so sure, I'm chasing a decent size lead (40ish) and my captain strategy for he run in will be to captain who I think will score the most points. This week it was Kane all week for me.

LostArt wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, I'm chasing a decent size lead (40ish) and my captain strategy for he run in will be to captain who I think will score the most points. This week it was Kane all week for me.

I think 40ish is still the sort of gap where you just keep making premium decisions and wait for your opponents to make mistakes/handle the DGW and blanks less efficiently than you.

At more than 70 gap leads you need to make more sizeable inroads so differentials become crucial. But any such differential needs to have a big potential payoff. You can get that from the likes of Kane/Aguero/Lukaku/Vardy/Mahrez/Sanchez/Ozil.

But Siggy hasn't had a score higher than 10 all season so if we're not being unnecessarily optimistic that's the best you could have hoped for, it's not a best case scenario that makes it any kind of calculated risk IMO, rather hope than expectation.

Advertisement