Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car

Options
  • 13-03-2016 1:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in my early 30s and I've been thinking of getting a car for the first time. Budget ~ 10-12k, maybe a little more.

It'd be mostly for commuting or around Dublin, sometimes Donegal, Waterford, etc. Not huge mileage each year, by any means. I was thinking of something like a Toyota Yaris, say between 2010-2013, but am open to suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Massive choice really. Is there any cars you do or don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

A friend of mine has a 151 Yaris (hybrid), its a seriously nice car and well kitted for a small hatchback but I suppose that is subject to spec. Hes a new-ish driver, its very very cheap to run in all respects and it nice/easy to drive. If I was in the market for a new hatchback I would most likely buy one of them.

Look at the Kia Rio around 2013 or so. They have a very long warranty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Massive choice really. Is there any cars you do or don't like?

The bubble styling of the Nissan Micra isn't really for me, I don't think. Ford Fiesta seems alright, but I've not sat in one. I've a prefer for dealing with a main dealer, tbh, or what do most people use the web for - just research, or actual purchases after a visit and test drive?

Not 100% sure on the insurance situation. I had a quick look last year and it was ~ 1,700, iirc. Mind you, a family member was at one stage going to give me his 30cc moped and the quote back then was 2,300 Irish punts, third party/fire and theft. Hopefully it's not as mad now I'm a little older.

Have you any no claims bonus?

You might be quiet shocked at the insurance prices you'll be quoted to be honest.

Anyway, cars I'd suggest would be a Clio, Ibiza, Sandero and Swift. All nice cars, with good spec and good reliability. All are available with 1.2 engines and are generally insurance friendly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've not been driving long, about 3 years. I've not been involved in any accidents or made any claims.

• Advertisement

Is that as a named driver on someone else's policy?

Do you have a no claims bonus certificate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Hi,

I'm in my early 30s and I've been thinking of getting a car for the first time. Budget ~ 10-12k, maybe a little more.

It'd be mostly for commuting or around Dublin, sometimes Donegal, Waterford, etc. Not huge mileage each year, by any means. I was thinking of something like a Toyota Yaris, say between 2010-2013, but am open to suggestions.
    Yaris is a real girly car dude. Get something a bit more masculine for christ's sake.

Yaris is a real girly car dude. Get something a bit more masculine for christ's sake.

How do you know it's a "dude" babe?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Is that as a named driver on someone else's policy?

Do you have a no claims bonus certificate

1) Yep.

2) Is this a mere matter of paperwork or..?

I'm an atheist. ;)

2) Is this a mere matter of paperwork or..?
    I'm just wondering if you actually have a certificate for the No claims bonus as insurance companies don't always treat named driving experience the same. I do know not all will actually give you a no claims bonus for it as yours was earned as a named driver which means you really need to check out quotes before going shopping. Just for your own peace of mind as you don't want to find all this out after you buy the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

OP. If your finances can stretch to it would you be better off to buy a new car and have a new car warranty rather than having the worry about maintaining a 4 to 6 year old car. You mentioned that you liked Fiesta's and Yaris's. You could probably buy either one of those new for €14 -€15K at an entry level spec compared to the 10 - 12 you said you were considering spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

You can get a brand new basic Sandero for just over 10K, a basic Logan for just over 11K and a base model Sandero Stepway for just under 13K. The cars are not much to look at but are brand new with the usual 3 year warranties.

I was seriously considering the Sandero Stepway at one point until Nissans 4k scrappage scheme came around.

Here is the current Dacia pricelist:
    https://www.cdn.daciagroup.com/content/dam/Dacia/IE/Discover-Dacia/Dacia-Price-List.pdf

I could probably stretch to new, perhaps in the summer. I'd prefer new. Apart from safety equipment, and mostly entry level spec, about the only other thing that interests me is bluetooth.

I'll have to do a fair bit of research, might throw a spreadsheet together in order to help with comparisons in my own head. Tbh, the likes of Kia doesn't particularly interest me as they seem unspeakably dull, but then one could say that about a lot of makes and models, really. And with something like a 7 year warranty, is it all in the execution? Someone mentioned Clios and other European brands. How's reliability with French manufacturer's in the long run? Didn't a certain Top Gear presenter basically say bits start to fall off them after a few years? :pac:

What are the main costs out of the catalogue price? Delivery to dealership? Is VRT included in the dealer's price? I'll get a bit more of a feel for the costs and spec and insurance and work from there.

Thanks for the posts, btw.

ETA - I see Citizens Information has some info, I'll take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

dogmatix wrote: »
    /.../ a base model Sandero Stepway for just under 13K. The cars are not much to look at but are brand new with the usual 3 year warranties.

I'm not sure if they are that ugly... Even the cheapest Stepway Alternative looks more than interesting for my old eyes...

117891212ie199876.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

As others have mentioned I think the biggest hurdle is the insurance. Is it possible to ask a broker what the least expensive car is to insure based on you the driver and your history?

If so it might be the best route for the first year or two while you build that NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pascal101

You can look at cars ireland 2014 nissan note for 10K or 2011 honda insight hybrid for 8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jap import, great idea for cheap insurance :eek:
    Spose you still gotta sell them. Must be quiet if you have to try sell them here..

I don't mind the Note, though I've never been in one.

Am awaiting feedback from insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

How do, didnt wanna start a new thread and just thought id post here too. Similar situation to the OP.
    Looking to buy my first car also, budget of 12-14k, have driven 06 golf for three yrs with car share with my other half in uk.

Looking at a 1.6 2010 golf, highline, 66miles on it for 12,500 or a 2011 Toyota Auris Automatic 1.8 hybrid with just 28k (Uk import, top spec) for 12,200.

Insurance for both us very similar given my age of +25years of age.

I would like an opinion on matter of what to choose. Pain in the t!ts with deciding as the other half has said that the Auris is a girls car but feel that its a great car to turn away from. drives like new.

Head says Auris and heart says golf, not sure what to do! Advice please...

yeswecan wrote: »
    Automatic

this would kill the deal on the Toyota, id rather the VW with a manual trans

• Advertisement

this would kill the deal on the Toyota, id rather the VW with a manual trans

Personal pref or is there any know issue/faults with an auto?

It doesnt bother me, makes life a tad bit easier in that dept, im not a motor head really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It doesnt bother me, makes life a tad bit easier in that dept, im not a motor head really.

Automatics have come along way in the last decade or two so don't be put off by people still stuck in the 1980s.

What sort of driving will you be doing? Doing alot of short start/stop journeys or city driving and the hybrid will be more suitable. If your doing long motorway driving then the diesel will do the job too. The hybrid will probably give less trouble over it's lifetime though when you take into account the cost of replacing consumables on the diesel like flywheel, dpf, etc.

Just make sure you are happy with the reduced size of the boot in the hybrid as that is where the batteries are stored.

thanks for reply bazz, driving lucan to blanch/castleknock for work. Odd trip down whest is about it tbh.

Yep the boot is pretty small and thats the reason why its for sale!

Thought sticking in my head is that i could do two yrs driving to get to 66k of the golf...

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just make sure you are happy with the reduced size of the boot in the hybrid as that is where the batteries are stored.

Auris, hybrid or not, has identical boot of 428 or 530l.

https://assuredusedcars.toyota.ie/forms/download/?brochurefile=Auris.pdf

-- edit

But not for 2011 I guess... ;)

Had a good scout around Airisde today. I now have a pile of brochures and price lists.

I checked the boot on them all. I think the Note, Corsa, Fiesta and Polo came out best in that department. Some others had more shallow boot space. Rear leg room was generally OK, not great in others. Found the steering wheel aesthetics a little odd in some, mainly because of the buttons. :pac: Liked the radio screen in some of the 4 I've mentioned, but am not sure how standard these are, or if they're extra. Having individual numbers for dialling was in the Fiesta model in showroom. Touch overkill, perhaps. Dial/hangup and menu's enough. Hyundai i20 seemed OK.

Should really have taken a pen and notebook with me. :cool:

Its personal preference, given the choice ill always take the manual trans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I like VW Polo , was my 2nd car and great buy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭emo72

I think 10 to 12k should just about cover your insurance! Back in the 90s I paid around 3k for my first 1 litre Micra. Ah the joys of young motoring.

Are heated windscreens worth it?

Using the 'build your car' online thingy, prices come out roughly as:

Polo €16,035
    Fiesta €18,350 (added bluetooth)
    Note €17,195 (added air con)
    Corsa €17,490

Probably throw in another 700 for delivery, I guess.

Or, this could be a pipe dream. :o

• Advertisement

Are heated windscreens worth it?

Using the 'build your car' online thingy, prices come out roughly as:

Polo €16,035
    Fiesta €18,350 (added bluetooth)
    Note €17,195 (added air con)
    Corsa €17,490

Probably throw in another 700 for delivery, I guess.

Or, this could be a pipe dream. :o

Jazz is €17,395, with AirCon and BT.
    Fabia 1.2TSI 90PS, Ambition is €16,865...

You have plenty of options in ~17k range. Note is definitely the biggest, with 2600mm wheelbase.

Advertisement