Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Eireann Fine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Swan Curry wrote: »
    May as well add my question to this thread rather than start a new one. I got a fixed penalty notice and sent an appeal in, but they haven't gotten back to me and it has to be paid by next week. Can I just assume they've rejected my appeal if I've heard nothing back from them? I got confirmation that the appeal had been logged

You'll get a notification as to wether your appeal was successful or not. If unsuccessful it will give you a new pay by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

You'll get a notification as to wether your appeal was successful or not. If unsuccessful it will give you a new pay by date.

Thanks, I was starting to get a bit concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Nowhere did I see the word detain on your post. It may be implied but it is not explicit. Authorised officer is also another interesting concept. What qualifies one to be an authorised officer? As for bye laws not standing up, procedurally they have to be fair. Summary judgement by an "authorised officer" may not be robust enough if scrutinised under judicial review. So, why have Irish Rail been able to prosecute so many people? Because you're average track jumper doesn't have the coin to challenge/judicially review.

Irish rail, dublin bus, luas all very successful in court and I have seen many people bring barristers in with them to try wrangle out of a standard fare and fail and saving 60c on the bus fare turns into 500 plus your barrister costs in court.

Also that BS of not giving your details to an authorised official is the reason why hundreds of commuters get delayed while garda are requested and their time is being wasted just cause of some smart arse who thinks he knows the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

Thanks. That was all I wanted to know.

Then I got sucked into a discussion about the chances of an appeal being successful and lots of very strong opinions (and a significant amount of righteous indignation) were expressed.

Many thanks to those who tried to give helpful responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

abff wrote: »
    Thanks. That was all I wanted to know.

Then I got sucked into a discussion about the chances of an appeal being successful and lots of very strong opinions (and a significant amount of righteous indignation) were expressed.

Many thanks to those who tried to give helpful responses.

To be fair to posters on here they were giving you the most likely outcome of an appeal, which is that they are rarely upheld at the best of times. Anyhow, I'm glad that you got the information you needed for your friend and that they won't trespass on a line ever again, not withstanding the dangers and risks involved ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

To be fair to posters on here they were giving you the most likely outcome of an appeal, which is that they are rarely upheld at the best of times. Anyhow, I'm glad that you got the information you needed for your friend and that they won't trespass on a line ever again, not withstanding the dangers and risks involved ;)

Thanks losty. I think it's safe to say he won't trespass on a railway line ever again!

Well, today's the last day I can pay the fine and they still haven't responded to my appeal so I guess I'll just have to pay the full amount. Wouldn't have minded doing so if they had responded but it's pretty poor form to just not answer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Well, today's the last day I can pay the fine and they still haven't responded to my appeal so I guess I'll just have to pay the full amount. Wouldn't have minded doing so if they had responded but it's pretty poor form to just not answer

But surely the notification of your appeal means that your original date to pay no longer applies as advised above? If your appeal is successful, you don't pay, if it isn't they give you a new date. So why pay today?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

abff wrote: »
    An appeal has been lodged by email and an acknowledgement received. Is it safe for him to assume that no prosecution will be instituted until the appeal has been considered or is there someone he can contact to get clarification in this regard?

It would be reasonably safe to assume such -- email them again if you want to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

and even at that, as far as i know you are expected to only cross the luas tracks at traffic lights or a luas stop?

On on-street sections: That'd be ridiculous.

Irish pedestrians are legally allowed to cross roads and streets nearly anywhere except within 15 metres of signalised pedestrian crossings.

Lads, ir turns out I'm an idiot. The date will be moved forward whenever a decision I made on my appeal. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement