Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android N Images Available For Nexus Devices!

Options
  • 09-03-2016 9:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

As the title says, the first preview images for the next version of Android (codenamed N) is now available for Nexus 5x, 6, 6P, 9, 9LTE, Nexus Player and Pixel C!

All the links are here on this Android Police post, they are direct downloads.

I will flash it on my Nexus 9 in a few and see how I get on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Niemoj wrote: »
    As the title says, the first preview images for the next version of Android (codenamed N) is now available for Nexus 5x, 6, 6P, 9, 9LTE, Nexus Player and Pixel C!

All the links are here on this Android Police post, they are direct downloads.

I will flash it on my Nexus 9 in a few and see how I get on.

Are you doing it for development reasons?

Otherwise, you should read the very long list of issues this release has before installing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

jester77 wrote: »
    Are you doing it for development reasons?

Otherwise, you should read the very long list of issues this release has before installing.

I just do it to try it out, I've done it before with L and M on my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 9 respectively with no issues.

Niemoj wrote: »
    I just do it to try it out, I've done it before with L and M on my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 9 respectively with no issues.

They were stable preview releases, this is a very early developer release.

Read the support and release notes so you know what to expect.

https://developer.android.com/preview/index.html

jester77 wrote: »
    They were stable preview releases, this is a very early developer release.

Read the support and release notes so you know what to expect.

https://developer.android.com/preview/index.html

That's all been read previously, I'm well aware of the risks.

I'm just really excited to try a new version of Android, and see how it performs on the Nexus 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can also apply for the developer release through website and will receive N as an OTA update, so no wiping phone required.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    You can also apply for the developer release through website and will receive N as an OTA update, so no wiping phon required.

I was actually going to post about just that!

You sign up and it shows your eligible devices, in my case a Nexus 9 and it just comes as an OTA.

Handy stuff, no more faffing with ADB.

I've been using it since last night on my Nexus 9 and the performance is a lot better. There are some animation issues here and there but nothing too extreme given how early this software is.

One thing I have to say is battery life is worse than Marshmallow, for sure.

Also, they added a lot of new languages including our very own Irish. And also Irish English too.

However the Irish translations are very limited (dates, very few settings, calendar seem the only things translated) and there's supposed to be a setting where you can rank languages in terms of use but that doesn't seem to work. So if you have your language as Irish the stuff that isn't translated will default to American English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

N supposedly has support for multi window too... any sign of it in this initial build?

biebiebie wrote: »
    N supposedly has support for multi window too... any sign of it in this initial build?

Yep, it does! You enable the system ui tuner and then enable the setting from there then you swipe up from the Recent button (the square) and voilà.

It actually works surprisingly well. However, I tried it with Netflix and that was a total no go, the screen began to flicker like mad the only way to fix it was go turn the tablet off!

Overall, including the fact they added Gaeilge, is maith liom!

For split screen to work apps need to target N and include the attribute resizeableActivity and for picture in picture it needs the attribute supportsPictureInPicture

It will be a few months before apps start releasing support for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭corkie

WARNING -- Enable OEM Unlock and USB debugging before ..

..... signing up for OTA update process.

Reports of OTA update failing and bricking devices on XDA

ongarite wrote: »
    You can also apply for the developer release through website and will receive N as an OTA update, so no wiping phone required.

I noticed it is only the LTE version of the Nexus 9 that has images and my device is not supported for the OTA process.

Found a site with images for Nexus 9

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

corkie wrote: »
    I noticed it is only the LTE version of the Nexus 9 that has images

I thought this myself but it actually isn't.

There's one link for Nexus 9, and a separate link beside it for the LTE model.

AndroidPolice just put them on the same line instead of having one link for Nexus 9 and one link below it for Nexus 9 LTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Nice N overview from Marques Brownlee

https://youtu.be/8bMbcNUM68U

The double tap for the quick app switching looks very handy, and I'm a big fan of multi window, so great to see it going mainstream.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    What's wrong with android.com?

Didn't even think of going there.

Possible solution if the OTA update failed.

Google has provided the OTA zips for Android N Preview
    This page provides links to over-the-air (OTA) device images and describes how to manually apply an OTA update to a device. This procedure may be useful in recovering devices that received OTA updates through the Android Beta Program and do not start up after the update is installed.

Follow the instructions here on how to sideload the OTA.

[Unofficial] SuperSU v2.68 on Android N Preview (fixed)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

It's mad to hear that it's bricking some devices! But we heard that with the L and M previews too.

For me, the update process was probably the easiest ever. I applied to that Android Beta programme, backed up everything just in case, downloaded the OTA which did take its time but Google's servers were probably getting hammered, it installed the update very fast, I did lose root but kept custom recovery (TWRP).

It's strange that very very early software (N) runs better than release version software (Marshmallow) on the Nexus 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I have nexus 6 unlocked and custom Ron installed, applied for the beta program and it installed perfectly. Running it now. I think there is root available for it now. Going to test it tomorrow

nedd wrote: »
    I have nexus 6 unlocked and custom Ron installed, applied for the beta program and it installed perfectly. Running it now. I think there is root available for it now. Going to test it tomorrow

This root????

This root????

Haha, yep

Some app crashing on me, hopefully they get fixed soon or I will have to switch back to old rom.

Disabled OTAs for Nexus 9

Below quote taken from here

Earlier this morning we disabled OTAs for Nexus 9. People who've opted in over the past day will not receive OTA updates to the N preview version on Nexus 9. We will resume updates once we have a better understanding of this issue. You are free to remain opted in and manually flash your device to preview build.

You could also sideload the OTA update or flash factory images.

• Advertisement

Official RC-SuperSU-v2.70

TWRP has not been updated for N as yet. (Might Bootloop)

So you will need a decrypted device or use a method to wipe data and decrypt it to use TWRP.

Alternatively use CFAR by unzipping the CFAR file on a computer and with your device attached (bootloader mode), run the script.

But just as it did with KitKat (Key Lime Pie), Lollipop (Lemon Meringue Pie), and Marshmallow (Macadamia Nut Cookie), Google has an internal name for N: New York Cheesecake. The code name's initials "nyc" are showing up in the AOSP repository in a few instances, just like klp, lmp, and mnc did before them.

Quote taken from here

Not available in Ireland but: -

Google Opinion Rewards Is Asking Users About Possible Names For Android N
    Notably, the list of foods does not include Nutella, instead settling for nut brittle, nachos, noodles, nougat, Neapolitan ice cream (strawberry, chocolate, vanilla), and Nori, the seaweed wrap used in sushi preparation. There are no Indian foods of any kind in the list. If you're particularly passionate about your N codename, you can install Opinion Rewards and hope the question comes up for you. While Opinion Rewards are targeted and somewhat unpredictable, the fact that we've seen one go out means that hundreds (and possibly thousands) of users have been asked the same question.

I wish we had access to Opinion Rewards, seems like a useful service.

Although I suppose with how PAYG works, topping up and being able to spend your credit we have it good enough.

First Android N OTA Update Is Already Rolling Out To Beta-Enrolled Devices

Factory Images are available from here (N9 - Build NPC56X)

Will link to OTA zips, if and when they come available.

As I haven't updated to Android N yet, don't know if current root methods will still work on this build.
    Just want to note that FlashFire worked just fine for taking the latest N Preview OTA. I upgraded to the new SuperSU first, saved the OTA file and flashed with FlashFire. Now running the latest N beta with root. No issues thus far and only took a minute or two.

Preview 2 images are now available btw, bug fixes and new human-like emojis.

Linky below.

http://android-developers.blogspot.ie/2016/04/android-n-developer-preview-2-out-today.html?m=1

Installed this on my Nexus 6 this morning. Working very well so far

Flashed last night

Used Chainfire's FlashFire App to flash just boot,vendor and system images and to re-root in the process. Was on 6.0.1 beforehand.

FreeForm enable
    The freeform window mode can be activated without unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom recovery. It's enough to run the
    adb shell settings put global enable_freeform_support 1

command, followed by a
    adb reboot

(Tested on my unrooted, OTA'd Android N Nexus 6P)

Works on Nexus 9 with N - DP2. Quote Taken from here. Some apps like Firefox beta will crash when using the above or split screen.

The effort of waiting for the notification on my Nexus 9!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bah, was really hoping to see the Nexus 5 available for N

Advertisement