Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

push bike or stationary? much the same?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I'm sure a push bike has more benefits but what are peoples thoughts on a stationary bike?
    did an hour on the stationary one here at home, almost 700 cals, 30km. i know its not a lot but im just starting/beginner!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

Less chance of getting knocked off a Stationary bike id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

milehip wrote: »
    Less chance of getting knocked off a Stationary bike id imagine.

you'd think but i have a very needy dog who tries to get up for a pat/attention! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

30 km in 1 hour means you are very advanced.....or your bike computer is rubbish ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Yourmama wrote: »
    30 km in 1 hour means you are very advanced.....or your bike computer is rubbish ;-)

Really? I do 15km in 30 minutes on the stationary before moving on, work is 15km away takes me 40 on the real bike on real roads. Wouldnt consider myself fit really. Just fitter than my belly suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd imagine that are talking about regular exercise bikes and not calibrated dynos on the back of road bikes.
    One replicates road conditions, the other is pulling numbers out of the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭caviardreams

A lot of stationary bikes don't even take resistance/'gearing' into account in calculating distance, so they really can't be relied upon, though useful for tracking progress/trends over time. With something like a wattbike of the stages indoor cycle they can calculate distance pretty accurately however.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

esforum wrote:
    Really? I do 15km in 30 minutes on the stationary before moving on, work is 15km away takes me 40 on the real bike on real roads. Wouldnt consider myself fit really. Just fitter than my belly suggests

15 km in 40 mins is 22.5 kmh average. that's normal, leisure speed. 15 km in 30 mins is 30 kmh average and is very fast unless you have someone in front to give you draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

i do between 30-34km/p/h speed wise, though today it took me 68mins to get to 30k distance even though i was more constant in my cycling.
    anything to help me get somewhat fit and perhaps lose a little weight down the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

15 km in 40 mins is 22.5 kmh average. that's normal, leisure speed. 15 km in 30 mins is 30 kmh average and is very fast unless you have someone in front to give you draft.
    did an hour on the stationary one here at home

I must remember to pick an exercise bike behind somebody else next time at the gym

Advertisement