Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teenagers in Reykjavik open

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

sinbad68 wrote: »

Juniors contribute the least and get the most out of ICU funds and now you want adults ( at times treated as second class citizens by chess bodies & captains ) to fund Juniors foreign trips as well ?!

No, not as well. I'm talking about a restructuring of the junior budget, not an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

No, not as well. I'm talking about a restructuring of the junior budget, not an increase.
    There isn't huge amount of money in the piggy bank, unless the kid is playing like a GM and being sent to a world or European championship or you get sponsorship for foreign trip, Which is better ? sending one kid on a foreign trip or use the money to coach 10 at home or hold a tournament?. Anyway this discussion is pointless as neither of us has a say on the budget .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Geography has always held back Irish chess.

Kids whose parents can afford to take them to tournaments abroad (as I assume is the case with the O'Gormans?) will always have a big advantage in development at this crucial early teenage stage - unless benefactor sponsorship can be found. (I don't think commercial sponsorship is realistic or appropriate for such young players even if it were available.)

So the issue is setting up some kind of fund to assist young players to participate in continental and UK events. For example the English Chess Federation will accept Irish entries (north and south) to their various championships in July/August but hardly anyone ever takes them up on this.

I would be totally against the suggestion of scrapping participation in the Glorney Cup and associated events which provide some taste of international competition for many juniors annually, and is only expensive in the years we host.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Geography has always held back Irish chess.
    You sound Orwellian !. There is No need for Juniors to leave this island to get experience and rating against strong opponents,There are plenty of tournaments here where you can do that, Kilkenny, Bunratty, championship, Armstrong etc.You only really need to leave Ireland if looking for a Norm. Yes, If you are hungry, you can have Mcdonalds in Ireland and No need to go to France to have it, atmosphere is different in Paris than in Dublin, but Mcdonalds is Mcdonalds.
    So the issue is setting up some kind of fund to assist young players to participate in continental and UK events. For example the English Chess Federation will accept Irish entries (north and south) to their various championships in July/August but hardly anyone ever takes them up on this.
    Check out the last page in link below

https://www.icu.ie/system/downloads/000/000/228/Minutes_ICU_Executive_Meeting_January_2015.pdf?1441358101

Good few Irish Juniors traveled to British championship last year . This was the U/14 section last year which had 2 Irish participants
    http://chess-results.com/tnr182162.aspx?lan=1&art=0&turdet=YES&flag=30&wi=821

Juniors can also enter AM and/or PM section which has quite a strong field.British chess championship is usually held in a university campus where accommodation is around £27 a night per room ( £31 En-suite) . This year is an exception.
    I would be totally against the suggestion of scrapping participation in the Glorney Cup and associated events which provide some taste of international competition for many juniors
    Glorney cup is useless for some Irish Juniors, they play against the same player twice and in case of facing scottish or welsh opponents, they can be several hundred rating points below Juniors here, the English don't take competition seriously and send a second class team to Glorney. It would be much better to have the 4 teams in each section in glorney combined( each section have own tournament) and play swiss system where players can Not play against players from own federation and good performance is rewarded by playing on higher board .This would be much better than current system.

Advertisement