Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadlifting with your shins forward

Options
  • 07-03-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Every time I read of watch a tutorial on deadlifting it always says keep your shins against the bar and have them vertical.
    The thing is over the years I've played around with a few things, stance width distance from the bar etc and I'm never as strong with my shins vertical.
    It's not like I'm that far away from the bar at set up, the bar would be over the point of my instep but it does feel like that helps my quads push the bar off the ground before the posterior chain kicks in. Otherwise standing closer, the bar doesn't break the floor, am I missing something or is this just a leverages thing?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Every time I read of watch a tutorial on deadlifting it always says keep your shins against the bar and have them vertical.
    The thing is over the years I've played around with a few things, stance width distance from the bar etc and I'm never as strong with my shins vertical.
    It's not like I'm that far away from the bar at set up, the bar would be over the point of my instep but it does feel like that helps my quads push the bar off the ground before the posterior chain kicks in. Otherwise standing closer, the bar doesn't break the floor, am I missing something or is this just a leverages thing?

Need a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Hanley wrote: »
    Need a video.

Here's the last one I have. It's old but it's a typical pull, it was also my previous PR before the one I did in your spot.
    Funnily enough now that I look at it by the time I've tension in the bar my shins aren't that far off vertical, that said if I start from that position I'm not as strong.

https://youtu.be/ybBn29_7Je0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Yup like pretty much everyone else in the entire world the bar won't move til shins are almost vertical and shoulders are over the bar.

You may not be starting in exactly that position when you do try to set up shins vertical.

You may not have enough tension.

The bar almost certainly isn't where you want it.

Hips shooting up like that will snooker you long term anyway.

Long story short - your deadlift problems are the same as most... Your set up position is off, and you've been getting away with it for a long time and now need to pull it apart and fix it to keep making progress :)

Post a vid next time you set up the "new" way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Hanley wrote: »
    Yup like pretty much everyone else in the entire world the bar won't move til shins are almost vertical and shoulders are over the bar.

You may not be starting in exactly that position when you do try to set up shins vertical.

You may not have enough tension.

The bar almost certainly isn't where you want it.

Hips shooting up like that will snooker you long term anyway.

Long story short - your deadlift problems are the same as most... Your set up position is off, and you've been getting away with it for a long time and now need to pull it apart and fix it to keep making progress :)

Post a vid next time you set up the "new" way.

Long story short I'll have to make it my business to be around next time you find yourself in the north west. Those smaller tweaks can be hard to self coach!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I have changed my deadlift slightly recently, mainly due to an issue with my grip.

At my set up I have my shins way over and infront of the bar; however when I go to pull before the bar moves upwards my shins are straight and the bar moves up my legs.

I had hit a bit of a plateau and this slight change has given me a little extra already .. the only problem is that I need to be more accurate with each lift to avoid moving the weight before I straighten up and risk having the weight get away from in front of me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement