Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Dual Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Detailing must be taking in Ireland for Argos to start selling, handy price for the starter/part timer.

See a link for a silverline rotary like mine for 48 euro to. Heavy sod but has been battered for some 10 years and still alive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

edburg wrote: »
    Detailing must be taking in Ireland for Argos to start selling, handy price for the starter/part timer.

See a link for a silverline rotary like mine for 48 euro to. Heavy sod but has been battered for some 10 years and still alive today.

Only thing is
    That Argos is in the uk.

vectra wrote: »
    Only thing is
    That Argos is in the uk.

Terrible post then haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've a silly question or three for this and dual actions in general.

What pads does this take, as in can you put on the hex logic pads for example?
    Do you usually have a pad dedicated to a backing plate (is do you need a backing plate for each pad)
    Is there a dedicated buffing pad available? I'm thinking of a buffing after a wax application mainly

I "think" I'm right in saying you use the least severe pad/polish that you can get away with and then use a finishing pad, but then again.......

ianobrien wrote: »
    I've a silly question or three for this and dual actions in general.

What pads does this take, as in can you put on the hex logic pads for example?
    Do you usually have a pad dedicated to a backing plate (is do you need a backing plate for each pad)
    Is there a dedicated buffing pad available? I'm thinking of a buffing after a wax application mainly

I "think" I'm right in saying you use the least severe pad/polish that you can get away with and then use a finishing pad, but then again.......

Most pads should fit the the backing plate, I only change my backing plate for the size of pads not type of pads. Personally used hex logic, 3m, chemical guys pad and some Autobrite Microfibre and raylon pads.

Personally just buff wax off by hand with microfibers, not sure there a gain in buffing by machine over hand (other than time saving)

You might get more replies/opinions on the detail chat thread if your looking for more replies.

• Advertisement

Terrible post then haha

I have one word for you my good man
    PARCELMOTEL :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Only 600watt but in fairness at the price you cant go wrong.

http://www.argos.co.uk/beta/static/Product/partNumber/4645777.htm#pdpFullDesc

It's about €80 here which is still good value.

What pads will fit this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

Didnt spot it on the irish site.
    Good price
    I would imagine you would have no probelm using Hex pads available in Detailingshed or possibly D&D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Not too many details on the polisher, but would assume that the pad just peels away from the backing plate, and you should be able to use any other pads. No mention of the size of the backing plate, but guessing its a 5" backing plate, which would be suitable for anything over 5", say the Lake Country pads which are 5.25" or the Hex Logic which are 5.5"
    Smaller backing plates are available, assuming that one can in fact be removed, and replaced with the standard 5/16th thread, to get into the more awkward areas, and corners of panels.

Yes, Ian, the best way to polish any paintwork is to start with the least aggressive combo and work your way up. The least removal of the paintwork the better....slower to achieve, but means there is more paint there to polish the next times you wish to do it. That said, obviously you dont want to be wasting your time if you know your paintwork is hard, say German manufacturer, and a finishing pad and polish on a Dual Action polisher, you may as well be pi$$ing into the wind, so you'd start in with perhaps a medium combo of pad and polish and assess what correction you achieve with that - if its good, unlikely, then perhaps easy off on the combo, but you're likely to be reaching for a more aggressive option. On Honda paintwork, it might be spot on. There is a bit of getting to feel your way into it, hence starting with the least aggressive option and working your way up is always the advised method.

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    Not too many details on the polisher, but would assume that the pad just peels away from the backing plate, and you should be able to use any other pads. No mention of the size of the backing plate, but guessing its a 5" backing plate, which would be suitable for anything over 5", say the Lake Country pads which are 5.25" or the Hex Logic which are 5.5"
    Smaller backing plates are available, assuming that one can in fact be removed, and replaced with the standard 5/16th thread, to get into the more awkward areas, and corners of panels.

More info can be found on the uk site. Just go the q&a neat the bottom left of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

cena wrote: »
    Would you to pay custom?

23%. If you're caught.

dodzy wrote: »
    23%. If you're caught.

so
    140 dollars
    Plus 23%
    What would that come to?

so
    140 dollars
    Plus 23%
    What would that come to?
    172 euro

cena wrote: »
    172 euro

156 euro (172 dolla :D)

Well I just picked one up. To be honest I probably couldn't justify a DAS-6 as I wouldn't have the usage for it.

Anyway, the machine. The backing plate is a fraction over 5.5" in diameter, with Velcro to attach the pad. There is one 7" foam pad in the box, along with a spanner for taking the plate off. Flex is reasonably long, machine is surprisingly heavy with a fixed handle in front. Speed control is next to where the flex goes in, not near where you hold it.

All that's left is to get some pads and polish (watch out chat thread). Then to find a car I can practice on before I tackle a car I care about.

Big plate on that, but as said above any of the 6" pads can be used. Look through leaflets for thread size for backing plate you maybe able to find a universal 3" backing plate for more awckward spots that could do with smaller pads.

Big plate on that, but as said above any of the 6" pads can be used. Look through leaflets for thread size for backing plate you maybe able to find a universal 3" backing plate for more awckward spots that could do with smaller pads.

I've been looking and couldn't find a mention of thread size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I've been looking and couldn't find a mention of thread size.

It says on the Argos site that the front handle is adjustable? Can the position be changed?

*Kol* wrote: »
    It says on the Argos site that the front handle is adjustable? Can the position be changed?

Possibly, if I had the right Allen key to loosen the fixings!

To be honest, I didn't look too hard to see if I could adjust it. I couldn't see how to do it without using an Allen key.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I think I'll buy one in the coming days. For that money you can't really go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Possibly, if I had the right Allen key to loosen the fixings!

To be honest, I didn't look too hard to see if I could adjust it. I couldn't see how to do it without using an Allen key.

Thanks. Feel free to practice on my camper!! Right hand side as that's where the door is!

*Kol* wrote: »
    Thanks. Feel free to practice on my camper!! Right hand side as that's where the door is!

Once the water tank is full, the tea caddy is full and there's biscuits in the tin I'd be happy to go and watch you at it!

Well I just picked one up. To be honest I probably couldn't justify a DAS-6 as I wouldn't have the usage for it.

Anyway, the machine. The backing plate is a fraction over 5.5" in diameter, with Velcro to attach the pad. There is one 7" foam pad in the box, along with a spanner for taking the plate off. Flex is reasonably long, machine is surprisingly heavy with a fixed handle in front. Speed control is next to where the flex goes in, not near where you hold it.

All that's left is to get some pads and polish (watch out chat thread). Then to find a car I can practice on before I tackle a car I care about.

Did you try it out yet?

I'm afraid to say no.

I didn't even get around to getting pads/polish. I'm putting in an order soon (I need snowfoam, wheel cleaner and a tar remover).

I imagine it will be the end of April before I have the time to use it (and give the cars at home their spring detail). I can see three or four days work there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Reduced in price at the moment. Tempted tbh.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Reduced in price at the moment. Tempted tbh.
    Think I well get one this weekend. Be handy to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I were to buy one of those, can anyone advise on what I'd need to buy in the line of pads and product. It's for my civic, non metallic black. Paint isn't shocking, but has some fine scratching in places, and just general wear and tear from 9 years. I've done my best but really need a machine.

Advertisement