Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein beer

Options
  • 07-03-2016 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

So i've been reading about this lately: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/high-protein-beer-launched-might-7430544

Just wondering if anyone knows if its being sold in Ireland? Might order a crate off their website if not. Be nice to have in the fridge for after a hard days work. Not exactly part of a clean eating plan but slightly less guilt laden than your standard can of beer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When I do have a beer, guilt is nowhere to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

When I do have a beer, guilt is nowhere to be found.

+1

I'd be very slow buying a crate of any beer, even if I liked the taste of it.

There are countless quality beers available, Dungarvan, White Gypsy etc. Buy and few of those and have a little cheese with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Something doesn't add up.

"Barbell Brew's got 92.4 calories and the makers are pretty convinced that it tastes as if it had the usual 100 calories plus."

"The alcoholic drink contains 21.8g of protein - which is about the same as a sirloin steak."

Assuming its a 330ml bottle, at 3.6% alcohol. That works out as roughly 12ml alcohol - Alcohol is approx 80% density of water that'd be 9.6g alcohol. Multiply 9.6g x7 = 67.2 calories.

Multiply 21.8g protein x 4 = 87.2 Calories

Plus whatever carbs. More than 150 Calories in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

"Barbell Brew's got 92.4 calories and the makers are pretty convinced that it tastes as if it had the usual 100 calories plus."

"The alcoholic drink contains 21.8g of protein - which is about the same as a sirloin steak."

Assuming its a 330ml bottle, at 3.6% alcohol. That works out as roughly 12ml alcohol - Alcohol is approx 80% density of water that'd be 9.6g alcohol. Multiply 9.6g x7 = 67.2 calories.

Could they be taking the thermic effect into account? That would knock off about 25% of the calories. Still a bit over but not as drastic.

Subtract the vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Going to have protein air next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Protein Vapour coming soon!

Dudes be wearin' gymshark gear and vaping their protein in the dressing rooms before that anabolic window closes, yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

So getting passed everyones own personal notions about the product does anyone have any information on the question that I actually asked on whether or not it's being sold in Ireland.

I'll decide for myself whether or not it tastes good, can't see why it wouldnt but I could be wrong. People always blab on about their moca choc cappuccino flavored whey thats sooo good which to me is ridiculous, just get it fucking into you, personally i just stick to unflavoured but if there's a beer out there that claims to pack in some protein what's the harm in trying!

At least be helpful as well if you're going to be smart. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

So getting passed everyones own personal notions about the product does anyone have any information on the question that I actually asked on whether or not it's being sold in Ireland.

I'll decide for myself whether or not it tastes good, can't see why it wouldnt but I could be wrong. People always blab on about their moca choc cappuccino flavored whey thats sooo good which to me is ridiculous, just get it fucking into you, personally i just stick to unflavoured but if there's a beer out there that claims to pack in some protein what's the harm in trying!

At least be helpful as well if you're going to be smart. :rolleyes:

I've no information for you but I would hazard a guess that beer and fitness doesn't mix. The marketeers are really good at fooling people though, that much I know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

For some reason, they're not including alcohol calories in total calorie count. Not sure if its standard practice or not...

http://www.musclefood.com/high-protein-beer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

colossus-x wrote: »
    I've no information for you but I would hazard a guess that beer and fitness doesn't mix.

I don't know, I can run pretty far & fast after a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Seen an ad for a protein easter egg during the week, turning into a joke at this stage, as people already suggested, stick protein in the name, double its price and watch the money flow in, are people really that gullible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 teddykrueger

^ Thought this thread was a joke!

Coming soon: protein toothpaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Seen an ad for a protein easter egg during the week, turning into a joke at this stage, as people already suggested, stick protein in the name, double its price and watch the money flow in, are people really that gullible

I saw that too... sure a 55% cocoa egg is totally 'clean' if it comes with a quest/fulfil bar.

My first thought was, this is my kinda protein easter egg:

506b385ad9127e310400180d._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

^ Thought this thread was a joke!

Coming soon: protein toothpaste.

Sun's out, gums out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I saw a new kind of Weetabix in Supervalu today.

Apparently Weetabix Protein contains 19 g of protein per 100 g versus 12 g in standard Weetabix :pac:

Weetabix-Protein-to-enter-major-UK-supermarkets_strict_xxl.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mother of god...

..people still eat weetabix?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will never beat a plain old beer and an actual steak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I saw a new kind of Weetabix in Supervalu today.

Apparently Weetabix Protein contains 19 g of protein per 100 g versus 12 g in standard Weetabix :pac:

they forgot to put a picture of a GAA player on it

• Advertisement
Advertisement