Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sing Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

RE: Carney, is Bachelor's Walk remembered fondly? I really liked it, seemed really well cast first and foremostk but I haven't seen it in about 10 years.

Zonad was a baffling disaster altogether, mind. Amazing how he was able to sweep that under the rug

RE: Carney, is Bachelor's Walk remembered fondly? I really liked it, seemed really well cast first and foremostk but I haven't seen it in about 10 years.

Zonad was a baffling disaster altogether, mind. Amazing how he was able to sweep that under the rug

I liked Bachelors Walk, to the best of my recollection! I went about trying to find it online to watch it, to no avail.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Saw this last night. Absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

Saw it tonight and liked it, although I also thought it faded and got a bit too cheesy in the second half.

I went to Synge St. in the 80s too, so many things were spot on! The yard, the classroom, the school hall, even the canteen, all were the real deal, on location. And St. Kevin's park nearby. And the line with something like "there's a black guy in 3b" - totally authentic. I like it when a film is real, and they don't have people being magically teleported from one place to another.

And actually there was a black guy a year or two ahead of me, and he looked quite similar to Ngig.

Edit: having said that, it seems the "St. Kevin's park" scene is not there at all, it's St. Catherine's park, in another part of the city. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I liked it a lot, liked the music as well. I seen it with a family member and they hated it which was quite funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

MetalDog wrote: »
    Just saw it there, enjoyed it but it would have been better if
    the ferry had crushed their boat at the end

Ha Ha Ha. Real cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Went to see this this afternoon. Really enjoyed it - a great feel good film. Will try to catch it again before it exits the cinemas...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Looper007 wrote: »
    Zonad was awful.

I was part of the focus group for Zonad and the cut they showed us (about 6 months before the film was released) was actually really decent and everyone in the focus group (circa 50 people) really enjoyed it, but then whatever notes they got from the studio or whatever within those 6 months ended up ruining it altogether, because when I went to see the general release in the cinema it was almost an entirely different film (with a lot of the humour that made the focus group edit really work cut out entirely, the narrative completely re-arranged, and extra scenes that added nothing thrown in at the last minute).

I think if the original version had been released, a lot of people would've really enjoyed it, but what ended up making it to the final cut was crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

So what happened to The Rafters?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Saw it yesterday, needed something light and feel-good after a grim few days previous at work.

Really enjoyed it though the ending was a bit weak imo, as if he'd run out of ideas and didn't know quite how to tie it up.

Jack Reynor's accent was mildly annoying but Raphina's bugged the sh!t out of me. Is she a dub? ("J'yeh wan' fries wi' dah'" when talking about the potential prospect of having to work in McDonalds) Is she English? Is she American? Is the whole put-on accent supposed to be part of her character trying to escape where she came from or is she just not a very good actress?

Those two rants aside, I'd still watch it again and would have no hesitations in recommending it to others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Jack Reynor's accent was mildly annoying but Raphina's bugged the sh!t out of me. Is she a dub? ("J'yeh wan' fries wi' dah'" when talking about the potential prospect of having to work in McDonalds) Is she English? Is she American? Is the whole put-on accent supposed to be part of her character trying to escape where she came from or is she just not a very good actress?

The actress playing Raphina is English so she was putting on an Irish accent, that's why it was a bit dodgy. The Dublin bit when talking about working in McDonalds was, I assume, supposed to be a reference to the "type" of person who would end up working in McDonalds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Raphina wants to go to England, so maybe she has English connections that would explain the accent. And Reynor's character went to a private school, thus a D4-ish accent.

<shrugs>

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Raphina wants to go to England, so maybe she has English connections that would explain the accent. And Reynor's character went to a private school, thus a D4-ish accent.

<shrugs>

Yeah I got that, the accent in general grates on me as opposed to thinking it was incongruous with the character.

Raphina's though... I just couldn't cope with it. It was just too fluctuant and inauthentic for me.

As I said, neither took enough away from the film to bother me that much, I'll still watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

<shrugs>

That accent did not exist anywhere in the 80's...i'm fairly sure of that

Bowlardo wrote: »
    That accent did not exist anywhere in the 80's...i'm fairly sure of that

John Carney himself has a weird D4 hybrid accent. I'm sure he hasn't developed it recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The D4 accent originated in the '70s. I mean, Bob Geldof anyone? It just didn't become a flogging horse until the '90s and 00s, which probably only caused it to spread further. It's been almost ridiculed out of existence at this stage. Most of the people still speaking this way aren't from D4.

The D4 accent originated in the '70s. I mean, Bob Geldof anyone? It just didn't become a flogging horse until the '90s and 00s, which probably only caused it to spread further. It's been almost ridiculed out of existence at this stage. Most of the people still speaking this way aren't from D4.

I noticed that. It's almost become a universal accent for people of a certain age, this weird hybrid D4/American accent. Unless they're from some very specific parts of Dublin most people between 16 and 25ish seem to have this same weird accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Loved Bachelors Walk, have the first season DVD but they didn't release the following two seasons cause of Music rights I believe. I thought it really peaked after the first season though which was one of the best things RTE ever done.

Onto Sing Street, I loved it and came out with a smile. Sure it has it's problems aside from the main characters writing partner and guitarist, the other band members were badly underwritten and the ending I thought was a little cheesy
    I personally would have ended the girls story arc with that park scene, showing that her character wasn't as cool and mysterious and would probably be a dreamer rather then a doer. Thought them running off to London on a sailing boat a little silly. Would have been better if Cosmo and his songwriting mater ran off to London maybes that's just me

Lucy Boynton, beside the odd slightly slipping from her Dublin accent, is going to be a big star. She reminds me a bit of Felicty Jones. I thought Jack Reynor as the older stoner brother was great and the lead lad who played Cosmo was very good. Loved the songs too very catchy.

The soundtrack was awesome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

John Carney himself has a weird D4 hybrid accent. I'm sure he hasn't developed it recently.

Is it not too strong to be honest. Seems normal enough to me. seems like a sound devil just from watch some interviews of him
    Ah here Bob is in his own little world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Saw this last night in Clonakilty and was very impressed, a great eye for detail and the pop music genres of the late seventies and early to mid eighties. This is completely different from The Commitments and is a nice quirky feel good comedy, the only resemblance to the other flick is that both were filmed in Dublin. Personally I found the guy playing the Commitments manager to be irritating after a while plus it had Glen Hansard in it, but both films are great in their own right. I wouldn't have a notion about accents apart from some Dubs sounding like Americans, Fade Street etc. Go and check it out, a refreshing look at pop music and fashion from the mid 1980s.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Personally I found the guy playing the Commitments manager to be irritating after a while plus it had Glen Hansard in it,
    Shame there was no song on the soundtrack from 1980's band Anastasia screamed. Audiences might notice the similarity with Hansard's band The Frames!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

loved the music but thought the story lacked a bit and the acting was below par.

few questions
    were they trying to emply that the brother was going to rape Cosmo when he told him he could use his bathroom to wash off his makeup ??? and thats a reason why cosmo left
    Theres no mention of 2 of Dublins biggest bands u2 and Thin lizzy or even much mention of other irish bands ???
    Thought the cliche of the daffy/awkward characters that played the Bass and drums was stupid. the black character was pointless i think and was only put in to show how non diverse ireland was in the 80's.

Id put 'Killing Bono' ahead of this(which had very similar settings and character types like sing street imo) and Once was miles better than this. Bachelors Walk was genius and would rank in the same league as Love/Hate and Pure Mule.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    loved the music but thought the story lacked a bit and the acting was below par.

Id put 'Killing Bono' ahead of this(which had very similar settings and character types like sing street imo) and Once was miles better than this. Bachelors Walk was genius and would rank in the same league as Love/Hate and Pure Mule.

And what league would that be? I wouldn't even out those 3 programs in the same league.

Love/Hate is/was rubbish. Pure Mule was middling to poor. Bachelor's walk was decent enough.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id put 'Killing Bono' ahead of this(which had very similar settings and character types like sing street imo)
    No one seen Last bus home?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Saw this tonight and very much enjoyed it, some of the songs were excellent and should be released.
    I thought they were going to turn back at the end as the idea of reaching Holyhead in that boat was ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Saw this tonight and very much enjoyed it, some of the songs were excellent and should be released.
    I thought they were going to turn back at the end as the idea of reaching Holyhead in that boat was ridiculous

The soundtrack is on Spotify.

The soundtrack in on sale in Golden Discs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

imperfect film, but perfect feeling leaving the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Finally saw this last night. I really enjoyed it, it's not perfect but it's got a great soundtrack, good tunes for the lads in the band and easy watching. The references to abuse were so light that I questioned whether I was supposed to interpret one or two of them as references to that or not. Obviously with Rephina it was clearer than one or two other references.

The ending was absolute dog sh!t though. It spoiled it but I'd still rewatch whenever it's on telly. It could have easily been a better ending. Plus
    Let's see yer man write a tune without his songwriting partner if they make it to England.

• Advertisement

The ending was absolute dog sh!t though. It spoiled it but I'd still rewatch whenever it's on telly. It could have easily been a better ending. Plus
    Let's see yer man write a tune without his songwriting partner if they make it to England.

I don't think it spoiled the whole film but the ending was pretty poor. I know it was all a bit of wish fulfillment and all that but I thought
    once the ferry nearly ran over them they'd have turned around and gone back, still happy in the knowledge that they tried.
    I think I could have coped with that.

Advertisement