Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying on donedeal.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    SIMI are simply a Motor Trade Association whose main purpose is to lobby the Government on behalf of Garages. Any other claims they make (concerning intervening in Customer/Garage disputes for example) should be taken as simply a marketing excercise.
    In other words,whether a Car Sales Establishment is SIMI registered or not will make no difference if a dispute arises.

Don't agree ref simi,at least 4 me,had an issue years ago,and after correspondence from simi,issue solved

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DD had their safety liaison officer,an Ex-guard on a local radio station up here in donegal today.

Must be trying to improve their image a bit.

He was basically giving advice how not to get stung

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

NIMAN wrote: »
    DD had their safety liaison officer,an Ex-guard on a local radio station up here in donegal today.

Must be trying to improve their image a bit.

He was basically giving advice how not to get stung

And yet there are still questions like "should I buy a car with dodgy paperwork"...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Any tips on negotiating deals guys? I have falling in love with what appears to be a cracker of a car but the the sellers best price is 500 more then i can afford and i cannot stretch any further! Any tips on how i could persuade them to drop another 500 lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depends on what its €500 of. €500 off €50k is practically nothing. That said, most sellers in Ireland have absolutely no idea what the car is worth. They do a quick search on DoneDeal and assume its somewhere around the average, or more dangerously they ask a friend what they think its worth generally resulting in a 'Bob sold his for XYZ 2 years ago' and hence the price is set. You also have to contend with those that have put effort into the car that doesn't increase the value but in their eyes does (Lights, tyres, new Radio etc)

If its not taxed ,you can immediately take the tax bill for 3 to 6 months off it. No service, you'd be looking to take a basic service off the asking price and better yet when the mechanic inspects pre-purchase, ask him for a potential bill. Scuffs and scrapes, whenever you will repair them or not, impacts the value. Conversely , if they have put premium value into the car i.e. Decent tyres, substantial work with receipts and history, then you must accept the car is a premium. Lastly, set a price in your head and stick to it. Bring that much cash with you (Maybe a fraction more) and offer it. Very few people have the will power to turn down a wad of cash if its next or near the asking price. At the end of the day, Ireland is a buyers market for everything except rare or exotica, so if he won't sell at a discount someone else will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

baalad wrote: »
    Any tips on negotiating deals guys? I have falling in love with what appears to be a cracker of a car but the the sellers best price is 500 more then i can afford and i cannot stretch any further! Any tips on how i could persuade them to drop another 500 lol :P

If the sellers best price is 500 more then get 500 more or stop annoying him :o

Advertisement