Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 audio on Saorview

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I expect this won't be a priority for Eamon Ryan, same as with his predecessors. Such a shame as the actual Saorview viewer isn't even a consideration in any of this.

The overall percentage of time I watch linear TV is diminishing. Even if the content on VM was interesting (mostly it isn't!), I just skip over these channels in the EPG due to poor quality (audio and visual).

When Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video and even YouTube deliver content in 4K with ease you know linear TV is mostly doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I agree, outside the very occasional Champions League or Europa League tie I simply have never watched Virgin channels or their predecessors. Hand me down ITV, low grade chat show stuff and 405 lines PQ and audio. Why would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Hate watching VM with the low quality fuzzy vision. It's most apparent when watching Champions League. Despise having to watch sport on crappy low res quality. In 2021 VM not having HD on Saorview is inexcusable.

I have my TV Screen settings set to Standard/Natural, Virgin media channels and TG4 on Saorview are fine at that setting.

I found using Dynamic colour settings was a mess with all standard definition channels including those on satellite also.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

To my understanding - this has nothing to do with Eamon Ryan, instead it's his party Colleague Catherine Martin, TD who is the minister responsible for this inherited mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I agree VM is not providing any quality picture as they are only interested in selling their own services via their own box. And if they don't have to pump money into Saorview, they won't.

The only way to effect change is to step up and complain. And instead of us whinging here, probably best to send the complaint, in mass, to Comreg or the minister.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Which Minister is responsible though?
    • Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications - Eamon Ryan
    • Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media - Catherine Martin

Comreg won't be interested as there is nothing technically wrong with the transmissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

There lies the crux - 2 x ministers

But I believe its NOT Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

kazoo106 wrote: »
    There lies the crux - 2 x ministers

But I believe it's NOT Ryan

Pat Rabbit was the only minister to have a clear white paper on broadcasting in Ireland into the future . But with all good white papers in was shelved.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

So if one was so inclined to look for a consultation document on "The Future of Irish Broadcasting" (generally as opposed to RTE) where would one start?

Advertisement