Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Let us know what ya reckon.

Still fawning over the Ratheadon. So them releasing the 1.2 now would be nice. :)

Is it as nice as generally reported? I have bannow island 1.2, ballykillcavan 1.2 and sheestown 1.1 but not tried any yet. I also have the pilgrimage bottle but won't be trying that, I think I'll hold on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

mik_da_man wrote:
    Are they your's or just a pic you found? I'm interested in collecting and tasting them, but it's turned out to be a very expensive venture so far...

I got them off the Waterford Distillery Twitter account.

Cazale wrote: »

130 samples (50ml)

Make that 132. Ah well!

The Waterford launch party that was rescheduled for Sept 5th has been postponed again till spring 2021.

I see a bottle of the pilgrimage first cuvee is currently going for 770 Euro on Irish Whiskey Auctions!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have an unopened bottle of Lagavulin 11 year old ... The Nick Offerman edition.

I have no idea who Nick Offerman / Ron Swanson is really... But I'm a big Lagavulin fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Some lad paid £9,600 for a 1988 bottle of Midleton at an auction last night, just in case any of ye have a bottle ye were thinking of cracking open.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Some lad paid £9,600 for a 1998 bottle of Midleton at an auction last night, just in case any of ye have a bottle ye were thinking of cracking open.

Was it for charity?

Mellor wrote: »
    Was it for charity?

Nope.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Five people were bidding for it and it went from £6,600 to £9,600 in the last hour.

It's very rare for a 1988 bottle to come up for sale and a few collectors need it to complete the series.

In comparison a 1989 bottle made £4,100 at the same auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Five people were bidding for it and it went from £6,600 to £9,600 in the last hour.

It's very rare for a 1998 bottle to come up for sale and a few collectors need it to complete the series.

In comparison a 1989 bottle made £4,100 at the same auction.

1988! (not 1998). 1998 is about 400. 1988 scarce.

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote: »
    1988! (not 1998). 1998 is about 400. 1988 scarce.

Correct, sorry for the typo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Just took delivery of Teeling Barleywine(Galway Bay) cask. Looking forward to cracking it open later.

IMG_8834_18.JPG?itok=EjzJmHV5

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

irish_goat wrote: »
    Just took delivery of Teeling Barleywine(Galway Bay) cask. Looking forward to cracking it open later.

IMG_8834_18.JPG?itok=EjzJmHV5

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Personally I was not a fan of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Personally I was not a fan of it.

I had it 2 years ago during a distillery tour. I remember enjoying it then so hoping my tastes haven't changed too much.

Blackwater distillery are launching a bimonthly tasters club. 40 Euro a box or 105 for six months and 185 for 12 months. This month is Limited First Edition: Jaffa Cake Gin & Limoncello. Not strictly whiskey but people might be interested with the Peter Mulryan link.

Seasonal gins and unique spirits crafted exclusively for our members

2 x 200ml bottles delivered to your door bi-monthly

Cocktail card recipe guide for each spirit

Exclusive invites, member benefits and expertise from our team of distillers and mixologists

Beautifully presented 100% recyclable box, making it the perfect gift for family and friends

Republic of Ireland only

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Randomly came across a bottle of Paddy Centenary in SuperValu Sundrive Road. Must have been languishing at the back of the cabinet for years! Delighted with my find.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm usually a big fan of Teeling, but their 18 Year Old Renaissance us just not doing it for me. I can't put my finger on it, plenty of sweetness from the madeira barrels, but a bang of spices just seems to be a bit of an overkill.

Such a shame.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm usually a big fan of Teeling, but their 18 Year Old Renaissance us just not doing it for me. I can't put my finger on it, plenty of sweetness from the madeira barrels, but a bang of spices just seems to be a bit of an overkill.

Such a shame.
    Shame.
    I cracked open my teeming 17 yo recently (red wine finish) and it was immense yeh. A bit of smooth spice is associate with Shiraz. But certainly not the spice overhit that can take over the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Bought Woodford Reserve Bourbon & Hyde 1640 commemorative edition from Celtic Whiskey shop.

Really enjoying the Woodford Reserve right now, lovely taste off it, excellent both straight and thrown into a whiskey sour!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pierrette

Contemplating my next purchase. Both Connemara and Bushmills 10 are on sale in supervalu (35e and 42e respectively) I also have a 6e off voucher that I acquired unbeknownst to the other half to further reduce my costs. What would people recommend (unfortunately buying both isn't a valid option)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Glenfiddich. Im a fan of the price and taste

• Registered Users Posts: 27,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pierrette wrote: »
    Contemplating my next purchase. Both Connemara and Bushmills 10 are on sale in supervalu (35e and 42e respectively) I also have a 6e off voucher that I acquired unbeknownst to the other half to further reduce my costs. What would people recommend (unfortunately buying both isn't a valid option)

Very different flavours so it depends on what you want to try.

Connemara is peated.
    Bushmills 10 is sweet sherry cask finished.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Very different flavours so it depends on what you want to try.

Connemara is peated.
    Bushmills 10 is sweet sherry cask finished.

I'm not usually a fan of peated but I enjoyed Connemara at one of the many online tastings that kept me sane through lockdown.

For €35 I think I'll pick up a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

A Good choice of 100mls bottles, is this a new option?
    New to me :)

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/Articles.asp?ID=257

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

dball wrote: »
    A Good choice of 100mls bottles, is this a new option?
    New to me :)

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/Articles.asp?ID=257

Prices are a bit insane to be honest.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Prices are a bit insane to be honest.
    Yeah gotta expect a mark up for the novelty.

A bottle that's €70 will get 7x100ml bottles.
    So the contents are €10, but the time you add on the mini bottle, shipping and a money for the effort. It's at a silly price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Had dinner in one of the FX Buckley's yesterday and decided to try a whiskey. I am not long into whiskey but tried Redbreast 21 year old, have to say it was amazing.

Popped into James Fox's on Grafton street and picked up six 50ml taster whiskey's, looking forward to trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Had dinner in one of the FX Buckley's yesterday and decided to try a whiskey. I am not long into whiskey but tried Redbreast 21 year old, have to say it was amazing.

Popped into James Fox's on Grafton street and picked up six 50ml taster whiskey's, looking forward to trying them.

How much was RB 21 in there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Ginger83

limnam wrote: »
    How much was RB 21 in there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Am going to the north for a few days and doing one of the bus tours. As part of it you get to visit the Bushmills distillery, just a short visit and not the full tour unfortunately.

Only really sampled the basic Bushmills original, which is very nice drink,l. I was thinking of buying a black bush Bushmills in the gift shop as I have heard it is nice and good value. I am wondering do people have any recommendations from the place? Don't want to spend above 70 quid ideally

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement