Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Boann Distillery are having a free online tasting night.

Fri 26th of June at 8PM we will be hosting an online tasting of our 3 cask finish series whiskeys

We are offering 50 sample packs for people to sip along on the night.

All you need to do is sign up here: https://t.co/AQ3n6ZNeTP

ROI & UK addresses only ðŸ¥႒

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »
    Boann Distillery are having a free online tasting night. Fri 26th of June at 8PM we will be hosting an online tasting of our 3 cask finish series whiskeys...

I filled out the signup form, fingers crossed comes through.
    As a fan of Calvados an intrigued how the cask finish will influence the flavour of the whiskey.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I filled out the signup form, fingers crossed comes through.
    As a fan of Calvados an intrigued how the cask finish will influence the flavour of the whiskey.

Tried filling it out and its saying that the owner of the form is no longer receiving responses :(

odyssey06 wrote:
    I filled out the signup form, fingers crossed comes through. As a fan of Calvados an intrigued how the cask finish will influence the flavour of the whiskey.

Glendalough had a Calvados cask release. Never tried it at the time but read a couple of reviews that said the apple left a bit of a sour finish to it. Be interesting to see how it works in this one.

Hogzy wrote:
    Tried filling it out and its saying that the owner of the form is no longer receiving responses

UPDATE: we have hit the 50 applications mark and submissions are now CLOSED. Thanks to everyone who applied, you’ll all receive an email tomorrow confirming your place and samples will be sent out next week ðŸ¥႒

• Advertisement

UPDATE: we have hit the 50 applications mark and submissions are now CLOSED. Thanks to everyone who applied, you’ll all receive an email tomorrow confirming your place and samples will be sent out next week ðŸ¥႒

Where are you seeing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hogzy wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that?

I'm guessing it was sent to the first 50 who applied. I filled out the form but didn't get an email.

It's on their Twitter. If you completed the form successfully you'll get the whiskey.

It's on their Twitter. If you completed the form successfully you'll get the whiskey.

I completed the form but when I clicked submit it went through, but then refreshed to say that the form was no longer being responded too. Im either the last person to get it or the 51st person lol. Well see what happens I guess but im not holding out much hope.

Its come to this... the lure of free whiskey is the gateway drug that has led me to social media aka signing up for Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

For those doing the L.Mulligan Japanese tasting tomorrow - have you received your samples yet? Just realised I haven't received mine.

ZV Yoda wrote:
    For those doing the L.Mulligan Japanese tasting tomorrow - have you received your samples yet? Just realised I haven't received mine.

I got mine delivered on Tuesday morning by An Post.

ZV Yoda wrote:

Email from them this evening.

We sent all national and outlying Dublin area orders via Express post and I hope you have all received them. For other Dublin orders they have been hand delivered over the last few evenings and there are still some out tonight. If your delivery was for Dublin 4, 7 or 8 I will be delivering those myself tomorrow along with some bottles that you may have purchased. If you haven't received your samples in time via An Post all is not lost as we are hosting this exact same event again on Friday week and tomorrow's event will be recorded and available via YouTube on Saturday.

ZV Yoda wrote: »

Mine was hand delivered last night. I'd had such a day I nearly opened them all and necked them!

Sounds good. Mine went through.

Got a bottle of dream cask in the second ballot!!!! DELIGHTED!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yoichi single malt tonight. I wasn't overly impressed with this one initially when I first tried it. But it's opened nicely as the bottle has gone down and enjoying sipping on it now.
    Strong Scottish influence on this one with lovely mellow smoke, it's no Islay peat monster, but just enough to give it that lovely Earthy aroma and taste. The peat they use is imported from Scotland I believe.

49971986207_b0289cd97f_c.jpg

Email from them this evening.

We sent all national and outlying Dublin area orders via Express post and I hope you have all received them. For other Dublin orders they have been hand delivered over the last few evenings and there are still some out tonight. If your delivery was for Dublin 4, 7 or 8 I will be delivering those myself tomorrow along with some bottles that you may have purchased. If you haven't received your samples in time via An Post all is not lost as we are hosting this exact same event again on Friday week and tomorrow's event will be recorded and available via YouTube on Saturday.

Yeah, I got that email earlier too. They said mine was delayed, but hopefully delivered tomorrow.

Hogzy wrote:
    Got a bottle of dream cask in the second ballot!!!! DELIGHTED!!!!

Congratulations!

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Yeah, I got that email earlier too. They said mine was delayed, but hopefully delivered tomorrow.

My samples were just delivered. Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Drinking Glengoyne 10 year old last night.

A Highland distillery and one of those relatively cheap options for those in the UK, you can pick it up for about £35 a bottle.

Jim Murray gave it a more than respectable 90 in his Whisky Bible (2019, I can't find my 2020), noting the complete lack of peat in the barley drying process, along with deft handling of any oak note.

To be honest it doesn't do it for me, but I am always amazed at how suggestible I can be when reading tasting notes. One offering from a UK based site is that Glengoyne 10 has notes of 'hoi sin'. I laughed, and then after a few sups had convinced myself I could taste it....

To be honest it doesn't do it for me, but I am always amazed at how suggestible I can be when reading tasting notes. One offering from a UK based site is that Glengoyne 10 has notes of 'hoi sin'. I laughed, and then after a few sups had convinced myself I could taste it....

I've tried hundreds of whiskeys over the years at this stage and I have to say some of the accompanying tasting notes go over my head. I think people make some of them up to look like they know what they are talking about.

I got a sample of the Glengoyne 25 year old from someone on this thread and it is a stunning whisky. A proper sherry bomb though so I'm not sure if Jim Murray would approve!

Dingle Distillery are doing an online Deconstruction sampling of their Batch #5 with their Master Distiller on July 4th. Sets go on sale tomorrow at 12pm on their website at https://shopie.dingledistillery.ie/. Limited to 500 sets. Last time they sold these they were €23.95.

In this tasting kit, you will find three 3cl samples of the component casks which make up Batch 5: Bourbon, PX and Madeira. A fourth bonus dram which is the finished Batch 5 is also included.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Dingle Distillery are doing an online Deconstruction sampling of their Batch #5 with their Master Distiller on July 4th. Sets go on sale tomorrow at 12pm on their website at https://shopie.dingledistillery.ie/. Limited to 500 sets. Last time they sold these they were €23.95.

In this tasting kit, you will find three 3cl samples of the component casks which make up Batch 5: Bourbon, PX and Madeira. A fourth bonus dram which is the finished Batch 5 is also included.

Anyone get it last time? Worth getting?
    Haven't been a fan of the small amount of dingle stuff I've tried already

Japanese samples tonight were:

Suntory Toki
    Togouchi Japanese Blended Whisky (Actually a blend of Scottish and Canadian Whiskey)
    The Chita
    Nikka Coffey Malt
    Hibiki Japanese Harmony
    Nikka 12 year old

One that stood out to me was the Nikka Coffey Malt which I'll try get a bottle. Hibiki and The Nikka 12 both lovely but overpriced at €100 and €150 a bottle respectively. Togouchi was unanimously awful.

Some great tastings coming up including:

Teeling tasting including Brabazon 1-3, Renaissance 18 year old, Teeling 28 Year Old Single Malt.

Distilled whiskey festival. 13 whiskey samples and a cocktail from Bar1661.

Redbreast tasting including the 21 year old, 27 year old and the Dream Cask 28! Said that this one will be very limited places and as you can imagine a premium price.

Japanese samples tonight were:

Suntory Toki
    Togouchi Japanese Blended Whisky (Actually a blend of Scottish and Canadian Whiskey)
    The Chita
    Nikka Coffey Malt
    Hibiki Japanese Harmony
    Nikka 12 year old

One that stood out to me was the Nikka Coffey Malt which I'll try get a bottle. Hibiki and The Nikka 12 both lovely but overpriced at €100 and €150 a bottle respectively. Togouchi was unanimously awful.

I liked the Nikka Coffey Malt too. The Tougouchi was a bit harsh alright, but talk of “not wishing it on my worst enemy” was OTT.

That was my first time doing an online tasting event. I was bored after 30 mins. I don’t think the “drinking stories” really work in the Zoom context. Got a bit tedious for me. I logged off before he started on the last sample.

I also thought it was strange that few (if any) of the whiskeys were actually available to buy in the L.Mulligan store when I checked last night. I tried to buy a bottle of the Nikka Coffey Malt, but they didn’t have any. Sort of defeats the commercial purpose of whiskey tasting event!

My takeaway was that I prefer to attend whiskey tastings in person where I can buy a bottle afterwards!

EDIT: looks like Nikka Coffey Malt is discontinued!

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2020/01/japanese-taketsuru-pure-malt-discontinued-due-to-whisky-shortage/

ZV Yoda wrote:
    That was my first time doing an online tasting event. I was bored after 30 mins. I don’t think the “drinking stories†really work in the Zoom context. Got a bit tedious for me. I logged off before he started on the last sample.

I like Michael but I think that's a fair enough review. That style works better when sampling Scottish whisky but a brand ambassador or Japanese expert would have been a good idea this time. Apologies for asking the Mizunara oak question after the Hibiki which probably pushed you over the edge!

If you have a way to get it you can still order the Coffey Malt from Masters of Malt, The Whisky Exchange or Amazon UK.

I like Michael but I think that's a fair enough review. That style works better when sampling Scottish whisky but a brand ambassador or Japanese expert would have been a good idea this time. Apologies for asking the Mizunara oak question after the Hibiki which probably pushed you over the edge!

If you have a way to get it you can still order the Coffey Malt from Masters of Malt, The Whisky Exchange or Amazon UK.

I’m sure Michael’s a nice guy, not doubting that. I agree that a Japanese ambassador would have been preferable. Michael himself suggested that he wasn’t an authority on Japanese whisky.

Maybe if the sample bottles were bigger, the “war stories” wouldn’t have seemed so long!

I saw that Nikka on those sites alright, but they don’t deliver to Ireland. Not sure I liked it enough to work out the logistics of delivery. I’d pick it up if I saw it on a shelf somewhere.

Your Mizunara question was interesting. I knew very little about different wood types. So I did learn something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

thanks for the heads up, website was very slow for an hour or 2, but got there eventually,

• Advertisement

Did anyone who completed the signup form for the Boann tasting get a confirmation email yet?
    Don't want to get my hopes up just yet...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement