Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circuit training/ martial arts in Dublin CC?

Options
  • 29-02-2016 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As per the title, can anyone recommend a circuit training or martial arts/MMA club in the city centre?

I've recently moved up and I need to get off the couch before I get stuck to it.

Not interested in gyms as I need someone shouting at me to get me motivated. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

eeguy wrote: »
    Hi,

As per the title, can anyone recommend a circuit training or martial arts/MMA club in the city centre?

I've recently moved up and I need to get off the couch before I get stuck to it.

Not interested in gyms as I need someone shouting at me to get me motivated. :pac:

Look up SBG in Dublin. They've a few clubs around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you want to circuit training or MMA? As they'll have completely different styles of training and outcomes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

This place is just off Pearse St. Haven't been myself but might be what you're after as they do strength/kettlebell classes and martial arts: http://wildgeesema.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you want to circuit training or MMA? As they'll have completely different styles of training and outcomes

I want intensive cardio and strength training. I've done MMA classes in the past and got just that.

I've had a look at Andy Kenny on Pearse St. Seems to be just classes and looks interesting.

Anyone have any experience with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I want intensive cardio and strength training. I've done MMA classes in the past and got just that.

I've had a look at Andy Kenny on Pearse St. Seems to be just classes and looks interesting.

I did one of the S&C classes there once upon a time. I only vaguely remember what we did but it was certainly a good workout.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Yup - I went there for a few months. Really enjoyed the classes. Only gripe is that the weight training classes only went on for half an hour, which isn't long enough IMO for warmup etc. The strength and toning classes are great, ye end up leaving in a heap after them, especially if preceded with weight training too. Trainers are approachable too, some are more knowledgeable than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you want cardio, circuits, strength training. Then join a gym that offers that. The Andy Kenny one appears to be just that, no experience with it. Then there's others like crossfit and similar concepts that would be similar.
    Hanley's RevFit included daily condition type workouts - not sure if that's still the case but easy to find out.

If you want to learn MMA, then join an MMA gym. But it should be most a technical process. If a place is running MMA classes that are mostly cardio/strength based. I wouldn't consider that to be great from an MMA coaching point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I'm a member of Andy Kenny Fitness and really enjoy the s&c classes. They give you a great workout and the trainers are always encouraging you to give more or lift more when they know you can.

I'm an even bigger fan of the weights classes, they are limited to 5 members per 30 min session so you get plenty of attention from the trainer on form/technique. I'm constantly amazed about how much you can get done in 30 mins and after the early morning sessions I feel like I can take on the world, or at the very least get through my working day. 😊

You can try it for yourself as pay as you go to see if it's for you. This doesn't include the weights classes, they are for those signed up to 4-week or 12-week membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

jenizzle wrote: »
    This place is just off Pearse St. Haven't been myself but might be what you're after as they do strength/kettlebell classes and martial arts: http://wildgeesema.com/

2 friends of mine train here and think it's the business.

Advertisement