Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

v10 wrote: »
    I have a few WeMo but recently I've purchased a few of the TPLink Smart Plugs, cheaper and in my opinion seem more responsive than the WeMo version.

The TPLink is about ~€28 on Amazon

Downside is no IFTTT, Yonomi and other HA integration that Wemo has.

The more I get into HA, the more I realise the importance of buying devices with wide ecosystem support. Even if it costs a few euro more.

BTW Wemo regular price is £29, though during sales it often goes down to as little as £22

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The units I got are now 46 pounds for 3 cw remote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

bk wrote: »
    Downside is no IFTTT, Yonomi and other HA integration that Wemo has.

The more I get into HA, the more I realise the importance of buying devices with wide ecosystem support. Even if it costs a few euro more.

BTW Wemo regular price is £29, though during sales it often goes down to as little as £22

Yeah makes sense if they're important to you, I always found both IFTTT and Yonomi too hit and miss to rely on for anything thb.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Alexa now supports scenes for the Philips Hue and certain other smart devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bah, Amazon... hurry up and ship my Dot! :(

Screen_Shot_2016_10_19_at_18_06_28.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Stoner wrote: »
    The units I got are now 46 pounds for 3 cw remote

Good lord, I have never seen them that expensive before, that's quite outrageous tbh, I've never even seen the dimmable sockets at that price before.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Basq wrote: »
    Bah, Amazon... hurry up and ship my Dot! :(

Screen_Shot_2016_10_19_at_18_06_28.png

I've been looking at my order all day and still no update:(
    They took the money from my account earlier this morning, which is unusual as they normally take it when an item has shipped:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Good lord, I have never seen them that expensive before, that's quite outrageous tbh, I've never even seen the dimmable sockets at that price before.

Yeah it's gone through the roof.

But 32 for three basic ones is ok

The TVRs I got were 95 pounds for three now they are 168 pounds for three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭torrevieja

paulbok wrote: »
    Does the kettle not trip out when boiled?

might get nasty

• Advertisement

to connect to the speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

torrevieja wrote: »
    to connect to the speakers

Random post?

degsie wrote: »
    Random post?

What lead do u need for the dot for speakers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What lead do u need for the dot for speakers ?

3.5mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004G3ZTU8/

Go for 3m ones so that the Dot is far enough from your speaker that it can hear you over the music

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah it's gone through the roof.

By 32 for three basic ones is ok

The TVRs I got were 95 pounds for three now they are 168 pounds for three.

Yeah, they seem to be pricing themselves out of the market, just as more well integrated options are hitting the market!

mrcheez wrote: »
    3.5mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004G3ZTU8/

Go for 3m ones so that the Dot is far enough from your speaker that it can hear you over the music

appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

appreciate that

(people don't generally use the Title in responses btw.. hence earlier confusion I think) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

might get nasty
    paulbok wrote: »
    Does the kettle not trip out when boiled?

No the kettle just switch's off as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Ordered mine right now, got an email 10 minutes later that it has been dispatched already! Yay!

bk wrote:
    Yeah, they seem to be pricing themselves out of the market, just as more well integrated options are hitting the market!

Their TVRs were always the cheapest. You couldn't get three of any other system for that money.
    Cost was a factors in my initial decision, so I'd reevaluate that again if I was going again

On the sockets I got three for 28 cw the dimming remote. That remote can control about 30 different things including dimming. Other recessed sockets etc. It was overkill.

I only use in off control on them. The newer range cheaper on off units would satisfy me. The ones I have cw remote are still better value than others imo as the remote is great and they dim.

So in this case (not for anything else) it's not that bad as they added a cheaper option.

But I have a couple of brushed stainless steel accessories, PIR, Light Switch, twin Socket they have all added about 60 percent to the cost.

In many cases they are levelling the playing field. They just need to be careful now in that they have to compete directly with others.

Their support is very good. You can just ring them or open a ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got notification of despatch on my Dot about 5am... now we play the waiting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Basq wrote: »
    Got notification of despatch on my Dot about 5am... now we play the waiting game!

so did i, but i could have sworn that i paid extra £3.99 for delivery on the 20th but it has delivery down as 21st :(
    will parcel motel deliver at the weekend?

In many cases they are levelling the playing field. They just need to be careful now in that they have to compete directly with others.

The problem I see is that yes, they are bringing up their prices to the equivalent of Philips Hue, but without the same levels of integration with other ecosystems and without many of the other features of Hue.

Lacking features and integration when you are the cheap option is fine, but if they are the same price, then they need to match their competitors or they are simply pricing themselves out of the market.

Having read about them first from you I was seriously thinking about buying into their ecosystem for the rooms where Philips Hue can't go (bathrooms), but now looking at the prices, for me at least they have priced themselves out of the market.

Also in some ways they are now more expensive. The ligthwaverf hub costs €120, versus €55 for the Philips hub, which often can be gotten for free as part of a bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I wonder if we're going to get AmazonBasics branded smart bulbs and switches that integrate with the Echo at some point... would give them a bit of differentiation vs GoogleHome+Nest.
    Was just browsing through the Basics section on Amazon for a HDMI cable and was surprised to see how many categories they've branched into. Would be a natural step, not particularly complex in terms of R&D I would guess.

bk wrote:
    Also in some ways they are now more expensive. The ligthwaverf hub costs €120, versus €55 for the Philips hub, which often can be gotten for free as part of a bundle.

That's ridiculous. Mine was 55 pounds.they still have the best value in sockets though. And the best looking recessed sockets.

You won't get the power adaptors for 3 for £32 cw remote , that only about £11 each.

We'll see what Philips through out next month

A nice heating switch would be great and socket adaptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What is the power supply on the Dot. I am living in Holland so would require a 2 pin plug. Is this a standard USB cable with power adapter or is is an actual power cable that is wired into teh Dot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

What is the power supply on the Dot. I am living in Holland so would require a 2 pin plug. Is this a standard USB cable with power adapter or is is an actual power cable that is wired into teh Dot?

A quick check online states it's a 9W micro usb adapter. 9W @ 5V is around 1.8A supply. So 2A adapters 'should' work ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

degsie wrote: »
    A quick check online states it's a 9W micro usb adapter. 9W @ 5V is around 1.8A supply. So 2A adapters 'should' work ok.

Cheers, i actuyally found that after i posted but then figured i couldnt order anyway as they only deliver to the UK.

Ill have to wait for the release on eth german site

That's ridiculous. Mine was 55 pounds.they still have the best value in sockets though. And the best looking recessed sockets.

Well as example, for £75 you can get a bundle of two Philips Hue bulbs, a switch and a hub:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Personal-Wireless-Lighting/dp/B01BPDXATS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476969287&sr=8-2&keywords=hue%2Bgu10&th=1

That is a good starter set for lets say a main room.

lightwaverf equivalent would cost you:
    - £90 for their wifi hub:
    https://www.thesmartshop.co.uk/lightwaverf/store/home-automation-controls/jsjslw930-lightwaverf-wifi-link--wi-fi-link-
    - £45 for a dimmer switch:
    https://www.thesmartshop.co.uk/lightwaverf/store/home-automation-lighting/jsjslw400ss-lightwaverf-1-gang-light-dimmer-switch-in-stainless-steel
    - Maybe another £10 for LED bulbs if you don't have them already.

So you are looking at £75 versus £135 to £145

Now lets say you want to do bedrooms too.

Philips Hue single bulb plus a dimmer switch £30:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0148NMVRE/ref=pd_sim_201_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7K5WK8R05KA32TSP62XG

While lightwaverf dimmer switch is £45, not including bulb which you may or may not need:

https://www.thesmartshop.co.uk/lightwaverf/store/home-automation-lighting/jsjslw400ss-lightwaverf-1-gang-light-dimmer-switch-in-stainless-steel

I think Philips Hue is actually cheaper for lighting for a small to medium house. Hue is more expensive if you want colour bulbs, but then that isn't even an option with lightwaverf on its own.

Where lightwaverf starts to get cheaper is where you have more then six bulbs off a single switch, philips hue start to get a little more expensive as you scale up like that. The other advantage is that ligthwaverf can work with fancy chandlers and other fancy lighting that you may already have in place.

But then you are losing out on all the fancier options with Hue, the greater integration etc.

I totally agree that lightwaverf switches and plugs look great. Better then Hues look and of course it also covers heating and plugs which Hue doesn't currently cover.
    You won't get the power adaptors for 3 for £32 cw remote , that only about £11 each.

Yes, I agree very good value. However they won't work with Amazon Echo, which is the point of this thread!

Also, it doesn't include the cost of the £90 hub that it requires.

For instance a hub + 3 sockets cost £122, while 3 Wemo will cost just £90 as they don't require a hub. Of course if you have already invested in lrf and already have the hub, then it is cheaper, but you can certainly argue you either way.

We'll see what Philips through out next month

A nice heating switch would be great and socket adaptors.

I agree, while Wemo seems ok, I'd love to see Philips expand into sockets, specially if they were cheaper as they would be zigbee, versus full on wifi like Wemo, thus closer in cost to the above lrw sockets of yours.

Also some inline switches would be nicer. Philips have a really good solid ecosystem and I hope they continue to grow it.

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    Yes, I agree very good value. However they won't work with Amazon Echo, which is the point of this thread!

Dr Dre has it working, bit of work in it though. Part of a bigger discussion.
    Dr. Dre wrote:
    Ah, you still need the lwrf hub unfortunately. To be honest, it's a bit of work!

Dr. Dre wrote:
    You will also need a smartthings hub, which acts as the intermediary between the echo and the lwrf hub. I've also setup a Ubuntu VM, running nodejs, to act as a sort of interpreter (for want of a better explanation) between smartthings and lwrf hub - I have a machine on 24/7 that runs various VM's for me (CCTV, media server etc etc) so it wasn't any big deal for me to spin up a dedicated VM, but like I said, a bit of work!

Dr. Dre wrote:
    And all thanks to this chap here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement